By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is FF VII Remake innovation done right ?

So, after the FF XV experience, i was really really scared of what FF 7R would look  like. I was sure it would serve a lukewarm action rpg, without respecting FF combat system. When i played the game i was shocked. This is like FF XII done better. It is the first time since FF XII, Square Enix gets it right with the battle system. Personal opinion FF XIII and XV are a mess combat wise. FF7 original is one my fave games ever and the remake made to go back to the orginal so many years later, because there is so much detail to recreating the first part of the game.Do you agree that FF7R is innovation done right ?

Around the Network

Yea I love FFVIIR so much. I have not enjoyed a jrpg combat system to this extent until FFVIIR came along and jizzed all over me. I sure hope that this is what they use going forward if not something even better!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'd say yes, FF7r's combat system is probably my favorite of the entire franchise. Combining the ATB with action based combate made for what I think its the most dynamic and more fun and entertaining battle system this game series has ever had. A lot of peopel didnt like when the franchise moved from turn-based combat, but im glad it did, from 12 to this theres been a clear polish on Square's idea of what their action battle system should be and I feel this game hit the nail right on the head.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 04 June 2020

I don't know if I'd call it innovation. I like the battle system, and I guess it's innovation within the context of the FF series, but overall, it's not incredibly unique for an rpg battle system.

JWeinCom said:
I don't know if I'd call it innovation. I like the battle system, and I guess it's innovation within the context of the FF series, but overall, it's not incredibly unique for an rpg battle system.

Please share with us what you consider to be recent unique RPG battle systems.

Also, it would be appreciated if you mentioned other games that have VIIR’s battle system, for those who enjoyed it.

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 June 2020

Around the Network
Hynad said:
JWeinCom said:

Recently, I dunno.  I don't play a ton of RPGs. Undertale I guess is the one that most comes to mind. But that's kind of irrelevant.  Maybe there just isn't much innovation in RPG battle systems in general.  That wouldn't make FF7's innovative by default. 

Edit:  To point to something that I'd define as innovative in general, I'd say Shadow of Mordor's nemesis system.  This wasn't a permutation of existing concepts, but something genuinely novel that, to my knowledge, hadn't been done in any game prior.  That's innovation.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 04 June 2020

JWeinCom said:
Hynad said:

Recently, I dunno.  I don't play a ton of RPGs. Undertale I guess is the one that most comes to mind. But that's kind of irrelevant.  Maybe there just isn't much innovation in RPG battle systems in general.  That wouldn't make FF7's innovative by default. 

What do you think innovation is?

Hynad said:
JWeinCom said:

What do you think innovation is?

I answered that in the edit, but I think the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor is a great example.  Something that is a genuinely new idea, not a combination of common existing concepts.  Wonderful 101 would be another good example, as the game controls in an entirely unique manner, from my recollection, to my knowledge, from anything existing prior.  Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts I'd also consider reasonably innovative.  The idea of user generated content wasn't entirely new at the time, but using it in the way they did, designing specific tools to complete specific tasks rather than the "just have fun creating" I'd seen in prior games was innovative.  Portal maybe.  I don't recall physics puzzlers like that prior to it.

Of course, I haven't played every game, so things I consider innovative may just be things that were new to me at the time.

Literally nothing innovative about it. That is a word the gaming industry has no clue on the definition of but an overused buzzword. Most things are not innovative. That's not how it works. Few things are that's why they are. It's not even remotely like FF12. FF12 uses a turn-based MMO combat system. Xenoblade uses a more advanced form of something similar. FF7R is a fairly straightforward action combat system. Something other JRPG series has been doing for decades like Ys. Hell Trials of Mana remake battle system isn't that dissimilar to FF7R. A little watered down but similar. FF7R combat is a fairly standard action. Undertale used something entirely new. Tokyo Mirage Sessions while not inventing a new battle system is one of the most refined turn-based systems ever. Using the Grandia bar at the top of the screen and the sessions mechanics. Trails of Cold Steel kinda used something similar. FF7R also pulls from Crisis Core on PSP. FF7R does nothing new that has not been done in gaming. In order to be innovative, it has to be a brand new idea/concept. FF7R battle system been before. Slowing the action down to select something also been done.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Literally nothing innovative about it. That is a word the gaming industry has no clue on the definition of but an overused buzzword. Most things are not innovative. That's not how it works. Few things are that's why they are. It's not even remotely like FF12. FF12 uses a turn-based MMO combat system. Xenoblade uses a more advanced form of something similar. FF7R is a fairly straightforward action combat system. Something other JRPG series has been doing for decades like Ys. Hell Trials of Mana remake battle system isn't that dissimilar to FF7R. A little watered down but similar. FF7R combat is a fairly standard action. Undertale used something entirely new. Tokyo Mirage Sessions while not inventing a new battle system is one of the most refined turn-based systems ever. Using the Grandia bar at the top of the screen and the sessions mechanics. Trails of Cold Steel kinda used something similar. FF7R also pulls from Crisis Core on PSP. FF7R does nothing new that has not been done in gaming. In order to be innovative, it has to be a brand new idea/concept. FF7R battle system been before. Slowing the action down to select something also been done.

I don't think you know what innovation means.

And lol at Xenoblade being a more advanced form of something similar FF XII's battle system.