By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is FF VII Remake innovation done right ?

Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

If the base is that they're both battle systems for a JRPG, with character stats taking a role, then yes.

They're nothing alike when it comes to gameplay and battle flow. They simply don't work the same way at all.

Ok...

In Xenoblade Chronicles you have a weak attack that fills your arts, which are your most powerful powers and your source of inflicting status, "elemental" attacks and healing. Once you have used your arts, you have to keep doing more weak attacks in order to refill them.

In Final Fantasy VII Remake you have a weak attack that fills your ATB Bar, which allows you to use your most powerful attacks as well as your magic and the use of healing items. Once you have depleted your ATB Bar, you have to keep doing weak attacks in order to refill it.

Again, I know there are differences, thus why I called it an evolution that allows you for more freedom of action. FF VII Remake lets you roll and block enemy attacks (which also slightly refills your ATB Bar), let's you perform the actual weak attacks by yourself (or you can set them to be automatic like XC), let's you change party members on the fly, you can slow down time while selecting your powers, etc, etc, etc... but my point still stands: they are similar in quite a number of things.

I would say evolution is the wrong word.  They have the same base idea (limit how much the player can use powerful moves, which is kind of the basic premise of most RPG games), but go about doing so in a rather different way.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Vodacixi said:

Ok...

In Xenoblade Chronicles you have a weak attack that fills your arts, which are your most powerful powers and your source of inflicting status, "elemental" attacks and healing. Once you have used your arts, you have to keep doing more weak attacks in order to refill them.

In Final Fantasy VII Remake you have a weak attack that fills your ATB Bar, which allows you to use your most powerful attacks as well as your magic and the use of healing items. Once you have depleted your ATB Bar, you have to keep doing weak attacks in order to refill it.

Again, I know there are differences, thus why I called it an evolution that allows you for more freedom of action. FF VII Remake lets you roll and block enemy attacks (which also slightly refills your ATB Bar), let's you perform the actual weak attacks by yourself (or you can set them to be automatic like XC), let's you change party members on the fly, you can slow down time while selecting your powers, etc, etc, etc... but my point still stands: they are similar in quite a number of things.

I would say evolution is the wrong word.  They have the same base idea (limit how much the player can use powerful moves, which is kind of the basic premise of most RPG games), but go about doing so in a rather different way.  

I think you are right. Let's say they part from the same idea, but they execute it in different ways.

But in the end I just wanted to point that FF VII Remake battle system has many similarities with Xenoblade Chronicles. Which... Well, it does.

There is nothing innovative about FF7R. A lot of it is built of the what FFXV established.

But in regards to a remake - To take something old and to modernize it for current sensibilities. It goes above and beyond. I have played Final Fantasy 7, sat through somebody else play Final Fantasy, in combination, more than dozen times and yet Remake remains "New". Hell, this also applies to your why Trails didnt take off. Trails of Mana is a remake that still manages to feel old.

I don't really like it, unfortunately. I loved the demo, however I'm finding the game a bit dull and boring.

The combat system feels exclusively a button smashing experience...

Still have yet to buy or play it but I kinda wish they would have stuck to the old turn based system as the combat is usually more methodical than ARPGS.

But hey I like Kingdom Hearts combat system so I might enjoy this too.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

If the base is that they're both battle systems for a JRPG, with character stats taking a role, then yes.

They're nothing alike when it comes to gameplay and battle flow. They simply don't work the same way at all.

Ok...

Attacks don't fill the arts. Arts are on a cooldown timer which can be reduced by upgrading the art. Exception is the art in the middle like the Monado which can't be changed. That can be filled will weak attacks and some arts.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Vodacixi said:

Ok...

Attacks don't fill the arts. Arts are on a cooldown timer which can be reduced by upgrading the art. Exception is the art in the middle like the Monado which can't be changed. That can be filled will weak attacks and some arts.

My bad, I should have clarified I meant the series in general. In Xenoblade Chronicles 2, every art fills by using weak attacks. In Xenoblade Chronicles, the main art for each character (or in Shulk's case all the Monado Arts) are filled by using weak attacks. In Xenoblade Chronicles X arts fill over time, but if you keep using your weak attack, you will fill another meter that will make the art a lot stronger. 

Mar1217 said:
Vodacixi said:

I think you are right. Let's say they part from the same idea, but they execute it in different ways.

But in the end I just wanted to point that FF VII Remake battle system has many similarities with Xenoblade Chronicles. Which... Well, it does.

Does it Territorial Robart chasing you with You Will Know Our Names playing in the background ?

No, it doesn't.

Facts are facts I guess. Touché Mar. Touché...