By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is FF VII Remake innovation done right ?

Leynos said:
Literally nothing innovative about it. That is a word the gaming industry has no clue on the definition of but an overused buzzword. Most things are not innovative. That's not how it works. Few things are that's why they are. It's not even remotely like FF12. FF12 uses a turn-based MMO combat system. Xenoblade uses a more advanced form of something similar. FF7R is a fairly straightforward action combat system. Something other JRPG series has been doing for decades like Ys. Hell Trials of Mana remake battle system isn't that dissimilar to FF7R. A little watered down but similar. FF7R combat is a fairly standard action. Undertale used something entirely new. Tokyo Mirage Sessions while not inventing a new battle system is one of the most refined turn-based systems ever. Using the Grandia bar at the top of the screen and the sessions mechanics. Trails of Cold Steel kinda used something similar. FF7R also pulls from Crisis Core on PSP. FF7R does nothing new that has not been done in gaming. In order to be innovative, it has to be a brand new idea/concept. FF7R battle system been before. Slowing the action down to select something also been done.

I don't think you know what innovation means.

And lol at Xenoblade being a more advanced form of something similar FF XII's battle system.




Around the Network

I would say the battle system is an evolution of Xenoblade Chronicles, but with more freedom of action.



Vodacixi said:
I would say the battle system is an evolution of Xenoblade Chronicles, but with more freedom of action.

FF VIIR and XC battle systems are nothing alike.




I feel like with FFVII:R they finally managed to merge turn-based and action RPG successfully and it produced some really engaging gameplay. It's the best game from SquareEnix in a long time.



Signature goes here!

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:
I would say the battle system is an evolution of Xenoblade Chronicles, but with more freedom of action.

FF VIIR and XC battle systems are next to nothing alike.

Really? You don't see any similiarities?

And just to clarify, I'm not saying they are exactly the same. They are different. But the base is very similar...



Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Hynad said:

FF VIIR and XC battle systems are next to nothing alike.

Really? You don't see any similiarities?

And just to clarify, I'm not saying they are exactly the same. They are different. But the base is very similar...

If the base is that they're both battle systems for a JRPG, with character stats taking a role, then yes.

They're nothing alike when it comes to gameplay and battle flow. They simply don't work the same way at all.




Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

Really? You don't see any similiarities?

And just to clarify, I'm not saying they are exactly the same. They are different. But the base is very similar...

If the base is that they're both battle systems for a JRPG, with character stats taking a role, then yes.

They're nothing alike when it comes to gameplay and battle flow. They simply don't work the same way at all.

Ok...

In Xenoblade Chronicles you have a weak attack that fills your arts, which are your most powerful powers and your source of inflicting status, "elemental" attacks and healing. Once you have used your arts, you have to keep doing more weak attacks in order to refill them.

In Final Fantasy VII Remake you have a weak attack that fills your ATB Bar, which allows you to use your most powerful attacks as well as your magic and the use of healing items. Once you have depleted your ATB Bar, you have to keep doing weak attacks in order to refill it.

Again, I know there are differences, thus why I called it an evolution that allows you for more freedom of action. FF VII Remake lets you roll and block enemy attacks (which also slightly refills your ATB Bar), let's you perform the actual weak attacks by yourself (or you can set them to be automatic like XC), let's you change party members on the fly, you can slow down time while selecting your powers, etc, etc, etc... but my point still stands: they are similar in quite a number of things.



Yes and no...

I feel like it perfectly combined turn based and action based combat in a way few games could.  They did an excellent job in reimaginings Midgar and most of the plot as well.

However visuals were inconsistent with certain things outside of cutscenes like doors or flowers looking multiple generations behind and the side quests are about a generic as they come. Honestly I do not see anything really innovative about most of the game, though I did love every second of it.

In terms of being an actual "remake", I have to throw that into question as well. Without going into spoilers about subtle hints and the plot twist at the end of the game, it feels more like a spin off or even potential sequel to the original that takes place within the FFVII canon. It is not retelling the original story nor just expanding on it, but going the way of being its own mainline title. The term "remake" feels more like a subtite than a statement that the game itself is a remake. Anyone who has beaten the game should know what I mean by this. If this is the case, part 2 should go in a wildly different direction at some point as we delve deeper into this rabbit hole, but only time will tell.

So in terms of being innovative as an actual remake, I would say REmake 2 and 3 did it better...or even Trials of Mana as they were direct retellings of the same plot. FFVIIR however, seems to have its own plot goals in mind...and retelling or even just expanding on the original is not what they are.

So while I give the game and 8.5/10 and love it, I really wouldn't call it very innovative outside of how well they adapted the battle system from the original game into a more fast pace sequence.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Hynad said:
Leynos said:
Literally nothing innovative about it. That is a word the gaming industry has no clue on the definition of but an overused buzzword. Most things are not innovative. That's not how it works. Few things are that's why they are. It's not even remotely like FF12. FF12 uses a turn-based MMO combat system. Xenoblade uses a more advanced form of something similar. FF7R is a fairly straightforward action combat system. Something other JRPG series has been doing for decades like Ys. Hell Trials of Mana remake battle system isn't that dissimilar to FF7R. A little watered down but similar. FF7R combat is a fairly standard action. Undertale used something entirely new. Tokyo Mirage Sessions while not inventing a new battle system is one of the most refined turn-based systems ever. Using the Grandia bar at the top of the screen and the sessions mechanics. Trails of Cold Steel kinda used something similar. FF7R also pulls from Crisis Core on PSP. FF7R does nothing new that has not been done in gaming. In order to be innovative, it has to be a brand new idea/concept. FF7R battle system been before. Slowing the action down to select something also been done.

I don't think you know what innovation means.

And lol at Xenoblade being a more advanced form of something similar FF XII's battle system.

I'd argue with you to tell you how wrong you are but you would never stop even when proven wrong so it's pointless with you. Btw Xenoblade remake is amazing.



Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Hynad said:

I don't think you know what innovation means.

And lol at Xenoblade being a more advanced form of something similar FF XII's battle system.

I'd argue with you to tell you how wrong you are but you would never stop even when proven wrong so it's pointless with you. Btw Xenoblade remake is amazing.

Oh good god, can we please just leave the Xeno remakester out of this?

Both sides have valid points, and that horse died a long time ago.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261