By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest XI: Am the only one disappointed in this ?

In my opinion this is the best square enix game since final fantasy XII, I own Switch version so I don't know about the PS4 game

Around the Network

IMO DQ11 is right up there with Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI.

Not enough games follow the older formulas anymore. I would rather take a great game like DQ11 with no new innovations over a game IP that has been transformed into something that no longer feels like what I already loved. There are plenty of games that have changed things up. Leave the ones that still use classic turn based mechanics alone.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

DQXI S is the best RPG I played out of the entire decade, and there were a lot of strong contenders from 2013 onward.

Ljink96 said:
Dulfite said:
I never got into any DQ game until 11 and I loved it. The others for some reason rubbed me wrong.

I can see why. I would only recommed Dragon Quest 5, 8, and 11. They are the best in the series. Dragon Quest 7 is quite possibly the most boring JRPG in the history of JRPGs. 

You meant Dragon Quest IV. Getting through those prologues was uuugggh.

Around the Network

I will cut anyone who even attempts to change DQ's gameplay. Every single DQ game is the exact same and that's what makes the series great. If you liked the previous games and didn't like DQ11 that means your taste has changed. Time to move on to other JRPGs who constantly change.

The battle system is perfect as it is and is currently the only one of its kind, no need to change it when there are a million other JRPGs who do it differently.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I will cut anyone who even attempts to change DQ's gameplay. Every single DQ game is the exact same and that's what makes the series great. If you liked the previous games and didn't like DQ11 that means your taste has changed. Time to move on to other JRPGs who constantly change.

The battle system is perfect as it is and is currently the only one of its kind, no need to change it when there are a million other JRPGs who do it differently.

This.  Square Enix seems to have an aversion to traditional JRPG game mechanics and is constantly changing up their other games.  Dragon Quest is the last bastion of old school JRPG gaming.

I love the game. It was only my 3rd DQ after 8 and 1 but right now it's my favorite. Bought it on PC and played about 70 hours before I stopped, bought the switch version and completed that one. Spent 130hrs with the Switch version. I didn't finish it until after finishing 1-4 and 8 though. To me the battles felt like a great improvement over 8, albeit it was a small improvement to a battle system that hasn't really changed much at all since DQ2.

Personally, I like the very traditional and simplistic combat of the DQ main series. This series has managed to rekindle my love of video games. I was going pretty long stretches not playing more than 1 session of new games. Regularly paying full price near launch for a game that I'll play once or twice and then never finish. There's been a few to override this fate to completion; God of War, and Yakuza 0 namely. But when DQ8 entered my life it gradually got more and more difficult to put down my 3DS. 6 DQ games later I'm now going back to other non-DQ games and completing them. Some how this franchise was just the bit of nostalgia and traditionalism I needed to appreciate modern video games again oddly enough...

I'm also excited to experience DQ5 after this break to prevent franchise fatigue.

4 ≈ One

Leynos said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The fact that you're referring to them as "the protagonist" rather than by an actual name doesn't disappoint you?

Kinda the point of DQ. You are the Hero. I think Erdrick is the only named one.

Even "Erdrick" isn't really a name. It's a Title awarded to you at the end of some of the games.

The Hero's name has always been your name, as he is your avatar in the game's world.

4 ≈ One

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I also have mixed feelings about DQ 11, but possibly for different reasons.

I thought it started out great, and it had so many great moments along the way.  The game has an incredible amount of polish.  I actually do like the battle system for the most part.  It wasn't ZOMG amazing, but overall I liked the battle system.  Lots of the characters I encountered along the way were charming and interesting.

My main beef is that the primary storyline is just way too long.  At a certain point I just found the game to be tedious.  It was weird too, because I might be enjoying a certain moment a lot and I still found the game tedious.  It's well polished, but it's just waaay too long.  I want my main storyline to be shorter.

Ironically, one thing I really like about a RPG game is a lot of optional and post game or end game content.  I can tell DQ 11 had a lot of this, but I didn't bother.  Once I completed the storyline I was done.  I no longer wanted to spend any more time in that game world.  The long storyline ruined all of the optional content that I would normally love in a game.

Older DQ games were shorter.  That is what I want.  Ironically it doesn't need to change more.  It needs to get back to it's roots more.  Modern turn-based RPGs in general are just waaaay too long.

Spoiler!
Hmmm... can you describe the final boss to me? Also, how many characters were in your party at the time? Because you may have not actually finished the game.

4 ≈ One