By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What happened in the US? My honest question as a foreigner

Tagged games:

I mean, the media is making it sound like LA, NY City, and other liberal cities are all burning down. Reality is some stores/cars got burned down but the vast majority of it is just peaceful protesting.

This stuff happens often (protests, blocking off highways, flipping cars over, etc.) When a minority person gets killed by a white person, but never seems to happen when minorities kill minorities or minorities kill whites.

I live in St. Louis. Protests here as well. Bloods and cribs murdering each other all the time out here and most people don't talk about it, but the moment one is killed by a white person everything goes crazy.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
JWeinCom said:

I didn't say nobody's seen it.

I was not there to see it, but I’m still under an enforced curfew for the next few days in Salt Lake City.  Apparently they overturned a police car and lit it on fire and injured a couple dozen police officers...

Eh... my point really was just to give OP a sense of the scope of things.  He seemed to think that the majority of Americans were in imminent danger, when that's simply not the case.

Dulfite said:
I mean, the media is making it sound like LA, NY City, and other liberal cities are all burning down. Reality is some stores/cars got burned down but the vast majority of it is just peaceful protesting.

This stuff happens often (protests, blocking off highways, flipping cars over, etc.) When a minority person gets killed by a white person, but never seems to happen when minorities kill minorities or minorities kill whites.

I live in St. Louis. Protests here as well. Bloods and cribs murdering each other all the time out here and most people don't talk about it, but the moment one is killed by a white person everything goes crazy.

... do you not see the difference between gang members killing each other and someone being killed by a police officer?

gergroy said:
JWeinCom said:

I didn't say nobody's seen it.

I was not there to see it, but I’m still under an enforced curfew for the next few days in Salt Lake City.  Apparently they overturned a police car and lit it on fire and injured a couple dozen police officers...

We just got hit with a curfew after a high-end shopping mall was looted.

JWeinCom said:
gergroy said:

Eh... my point really was just to give OP a sense of the scope of things.  He seemed to think that the majority of Americans were in imminent danger, when that's simply not the case.

Dulfite said:

... do you not see the difference between gang members killing each other and someone being killed by a police officer?

They are both wrong and both murders. They should be equally horrifying.

sethnintendo said:

The civil rights protest during MLK Jr days were mainly nonviolent marches and sit-ins even though they were met with violence they remained mostly non violent.  They actually were able to accomplish some legislation victories.

Well because their was a leader, MLK spoke for the community but you can not really say it ended well considering he got killed and the community got divided in groups in peacefull groups who wanted to continue like MLK and others who wanted to use violence because peacefull demonstrating doesn't seem to change shit.

Also can not really blame the media, whole my twitter feed is filled with violent videos from ordinary people because the human mind is to 'enjoy' bad;violent news. While the majority of the protests are peacefull those pictures, vids are not popular.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
JWeinCom said:

No not really.  Because when crimes are committed by those who are tasked with preventing crimes, that is a much more major problem, particularly when they often receive much more lenient treatment for those crimes.  If I routinely went around flaming people, and was allowed to continue as a moderator, that would represent a much bigger problem with the forums than if a random user were doing the same thing.

JWeinCom said:
Dulfite said:

No not really.  Because when crimes are committed by those who are tasked with preventing crimes, that is a much more major problem, particularly when they often receive much more lenient treatment for those crimes.  If I routinely went around flaming people, and was allowed to continue as a moderator, that would represent a much bigger problem with the forums than if a random user were doing the same thing.

I respect your opinion. But I retain my own. All murders are terrible. They are all sins.

JWeinCom said:
Dulfite said:

Yeah i have a problem with that cop being able to be a cop when he made so many missteps before that drama happened.

Dulfite said:
JWeinCom said:

One is done by a person granted extensive legal authority and weaponry by the state for the stated purpose of serving the public trust, and also has qualified immunity from prosecution for any abuses of power they engage in. This doctrine was established in 1982 with the Harlow v. Fitzgerald case, which allows, among other things, police to escape prosecution with those five magic words, "I feared for my life." 

Criminals gonna criminal, but criminal acts by someone paid and empowered as a state agent are a major betrayal of the citizenry that goes far beyond the original crime, and when the state condones, or even aids and abets their behavior, that creates more problems.

Dulfite said:
JWeinCom said:

I respect your opinion. But I retain my own. All murders are terrible. They are all sins.

I don't think anyone disputed that. 

Suppose you are a parent of a high school student.  Your child comes home one day and reports that one of his classmates punched him.  How outraged are you on a scale from 1-10?

Now suppose you are the parent of a high school student.  Your child comes home one day and reports that one of his teachers punched him.  How outraged are you on a scale from 1-10?