By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What happened in the US? My honest question as a foreigner

Tagged games:

PortisheadBiscuit said:
d21lewis said:
Maybe I'm overreacting but this is how I see it:

We have a group of people that want to feel victimized. Or maybe things really are that hard and they're just that hopeless. In any event, it is easy for them to blame somebody. And they don't understand the consequences of their actions. They don't want to take accountability for their actions. They just want to take action.

So here we are. Going fucking insane.

Who is "they"? 

The people who voted for Harambe during the last election and then got upset because we got Trump as president. The people who don't snitch but get mad because "good cops don't turn in bad cops." The people who go to college and get degrees for jobs that don't exist. The people who refuse to work a job because they feel like it's beneath them but still want to live comfortably. The people who didn't go through the struggles that their grandparents did but are twice as angry. The people that just can't function in this world.

TL;DR The fucked up people that my generation created.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Who is "they"? 

The people who voted for Harambe during the last election and then got upset because we got Trump as president. The people who don't snitch but get mad because "good cops don't turn in bad cops." The people who go to college and get degrees for jobs that don't exist. The people who refuse to work a job because they feel like it's beneath them but still want to live comfortably. The people who didn't go through the struggles that their grandparents did but are twice as angry. The people that just can't function in this world.

You're no better than the people you point fingers at. The whole us vs. them mentality is why things will never change. For things to change it has to be a collective effort, unfortunately when you have a president that divides and blames everything on his opposing party no inroads can be made.  

PortisheadBiscuit said:
d21lewis said:

You're no better than the people you point fingers at. The whole us vs. them mentality is why things will never change. For things to change it has to be a collective effort, unfortunately when you have a president that divides and blames everything on his opposing party no inroads can be made.  

This here seems like the main problem in western societies to me right now. The problem is not 'us' or 'them', it's the stupid division that certain people and parties seem to want to drive even further for various reasons.

Zkuq said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

This here seems like the main problem in western societies to me right now. The problem is not 'us' or 'them', it's the stupid division that certain people and parties seem to want to drive even further for various reasons.

Economics play a big part. The US system allows for way to high a degree on inequality (on economics, health, social, justice, race).
The divine between the rich and poor is too big, and its hurting your society.

You need reform, and that starts by voteing for it.

Does this help against racism? yes in the long run it will.

This isnt a "western societies" issue, its a US issue (mainly).

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 31 May 2020

S.Peelman said:
So when does the Second American Civil War start?

Who would fight who?  

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Zkuq said:

Economics play a big part. The US system allows for way to high a degree on inequality (on economics, health, social, justice, race).
The divine between the rich and poor is too big, and its hurting your society.

You need reform, and that starts by voteing for it.

Does this help against racism? yes in the long run it will.

This isnt a "western societies" issue, its a US issue (mainly).

I'm definitely noticing the same here in Finland, albeit to a lesser extent, and judging by the current political situation in many western countries, it seems fairly similar. It's the US where it seems to be really bad, but there are problems even elsewhere - just not that badly in regard to inequality.

the issue with White supremacists is real in USA.

There have been no protests near where I live but my opinion on the situation in one sentence is this: Law Enforcement needs some serious reform in this country.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
d21lewis said:

I agree. I'm no better. I did a terrible job preparing my kid for the world. And, it feels like now more than ever, we're divided by race, sex, age, religion, political beliefs--we're divided by whether people believe we should wear masks in public or not. And I agree about Trump, too. We needed a leader and we got... whatever it is we got.

I'm not very optimistic these days.

JWeinCom said:
Ljink96 said:

I live in downtown Indianapolis, we had 2 deaths from riots and multiple shootings, looting (our downtown mall is destroyed). So yeah I've seen it. My first time doing so as well. 

I didn't say nobody's seen it.

I was not there to see it, but I’m still under an enforced curfew for the next few days in Salt Lake City.  Apparently they overturned a police car and lit it on fire and injured a couple dozen police officers...