By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What happened in the US? My honest question as a foreigner

Tagged games:

d21lewis said:
In a surprising twist, I saw several posts from what appear to be black people actually attacking Martin Luther King Jr and the Civil Rights Movement.

People don't realize that until very recently, black people couldn't even eat in certain restaurants, even if they worked there. We couldn't even walk through the front door. We couldn't go to the same schools. Couldn't look white people in the eye. We could be lunched without repercussions (one actually happened at the courthouse 30 minutes from where I live). We couldn't vote.

Peaceful demonstrations changed that. Help from other races changed that.

The aforementioned world of inequality wasn't ancient history. My grandparents experienced it. My parents experienced the tail end of it. I experienced the fallout of it. But you have young people today that think 50-70 years ago was a long time because their concept of time is distorted. It feels like ancient history.

We're making progress. Things are getting better. Things have gotten better. As a kid, I couldn't imagine living the life I live now. It was unthinkable. If we can just individually be good people, we can collectively be a great people. The old way of thinking can die out.

And (maybe I'm being a hypocrite here) it's easy to point out problems with anything but when you do point out that problem, maybe have an idea for a solution, too... I can get into a rant about who did what to whom, how everything is stacked in favor of whomever, etc. None of that helps the situation. Excuses just make people comfortable with their failings. A man told me that "Excuses only satisfy he who makes them" (he stole the quote, btw). I believe it. I'm tired of excuses.

Be better people.

Like 90% were peacefull you can find enough pics they weren't all that peacefull.

The solution?  Everyone should be treated equal? What's so hard about it?  24.000 peacefull protests the last 30/50 years and we still have discrimination..

I open my twitter, and I see a black man getting arrested while walking with a white group...who then wait and identify himself 30 seconds later as an undercover FBI cop.  Those white cops humilated himself.     

Then I see a video of black people protecting their stores...a reporter tells the police those people are protecting their stores and the cop answers with 'lets put them in handcuffs'     ....     I hope it was a misunderstanding

Then another video of a black man giving a soft spoken speech, pretty emotional and gets arrested..

Then I see a guy a with assault rifle and other guys calling black people the N word...   lucky they are white and the police just send them away..

Also let's not forget favourite white youtube star Jake Paul is walking trough shopping centers while others are vandalizing it around him, knowing very well his presence is only making it worse...again gets away with it..

Honestly reading your message I read it as  '  I am unlucky that I am born black...but the circumstances are better than before......so it is fine.....  

If this is also the message that you say to your siblings/family/children I feel very sorry for you...

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Immersiveunreality said:

But the molehill that you think it is can be the mountain in this particular case so i can not agree with that,if this was a more right wing protest then i might have agreed.

Antifa does include a number of religious blindly fanatical people and also a huge bunch of selfproclaimed anarchists and whereever you have that you also get extremism and hysteria.

Antifa isnt the boogyman Trump wants you to think it is.
And no it really isnt a "mountain" but actually a molehill (ei. its impact on all this is probably minor).

"if this was a more right wing protest, then I might have agreed" - Immersiveunreality

Huh? you think, Antifa would be less active, or more peacefull if this was for a "right wing" cause (that goes against Antifa (anti fascism))?
----------------------------------
1) Wouldn't you want someone to try and protest the US from a change towards fascim if that was takeing place?
-----------------------------------------
2) Antifa cause's align with BLM in this case, they arnt trying to cause trouble or have the messageing turn to crap. They want it to go along peacefully and get real results, they arn't out to destroy america or something.  Basically your not thinking these things through imo.

Why do you even response with this,so many assumptions about character.

First bolded: What does Trump have to do with Antifa or with what i think?

Second bolded: I did not type anything like that,i say that in comparison you would have more white supremacists.

Third bolded: Yes but surely not a group like them,you can compare it with PETA members that inflict animal suffering out of pure ignorant textbook fantasy followup,most of the protest they're on they either use forms of fascism themselves to shut down free speech or leave a trail of destruction and you just keep sweettalking them because they have a cool name.

Fourth: I hope they stay far away from BLM, imo it wont help the cause.

So yes we both fundamentally think differently about that group,i have seen them in person and i have watched interviews with leading members while also have seen what they caused over the years especially in European cities so my opinion on them is not highly atm.

I’m purposely not following too closely because it’s so damn depressing. Racism is terrible....but rioting and looting doesn’t solve it. You just creating property damage in a country economically struggling from a pandemic. Peaceful protest is the way to go. Anything else is not justified.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

konnichiwa said:
d21lewis said:
In a surprising twist, I saw several posts from what appear to be black people actually attacking Martin Luther King Jr and the Civil Rights Movement.

People don't realize that until very recently, black people couldn't even eat in certain restaurants, even if they worked there. We couldn't even walk through the front door. We couldn't go to the same schools. Couldn't look white people in the eye. We could be lynched without repercussions (one actually happened at the courthouse 30 minutes from where I live). We couldn't vote.

The aforementioned world of inequality wasn't ancient history. My grandparents experienced it. My parents experienced the tail end of it. I experienced the fallout of it. But you have young people today that think 50-70 years ago was a long time because their concept of time is distorted. It feels like ancient history.

We're making progress. Things are getting better. Things have gotten better. As a kid, I couldn't imagine living the life I live now. It was unthinkable. If we can just individually be good people, we can collectively be a great people. The old way of thinking can die out.

And (maybe I'm being a hypocrite here) it's easy to point out problems with anything but when you do point out that problem, maybe have an idea for a solution, too... I can get into a rant about who did what to whom, how everything is stacked in favor of whomever, etc. None of that helps the situation. Excuses just make people comfortable with their failings. A man told me that "Excuses only satisfy he who makes them" (he stole the quote, btw). I believe it. I'm tired of excuses.

Be better people.

Like 90% were peacefull you can find enough pics they weren't all that peacefull.

The solution?  Everyone should be treated equal? What's so hard about it?  24.000 peacefull protests the last 30/50 years and we still have discrimination..

I open my twitter, and I see a black man getting arrested while walking with a white group...who then wait and identify himself 30 seconds later as an undercover FBI cop.  Those white cops humilated himself.     

Then I see a video of black people protecting their stores...a reporter tells the police those people are protecting their stores and the cop answers with 'lets put them in handcuffs'     ....     I hope it was a misunderstanding

Then another video of a black man giving a soft spoken speech, pretty emotional and gets arrested..

Then I see a guy a with assault rifle and other guys calling black people the N word...   lucky they are white and the police just send them away..

Also let's not forget favourite white youtube star Jake Paul is walking trough shopping centers while others are vandalizing it around him, knowing very well his presence is only making it worse...again gets away with it..

Honestly reading your message I read it as  '  I am unlucky that I am born black...but the circumstances are better than before......so it is fine.....  

If this is also the message that you say to your siblings/family/children I feel very sorry for you...

I'm sorry that's what you got from my post.

Immersiveunreality said:
JRPGfan said:

Antifa isnt the boogyman Trump wants you to think it is.
And no it really isnt a "mountain" but actually a molehill (ei. its impact on all this is probably minor).

"if this was a more right wing protest, then I might have agreed" - Immersiveunreality

Huh? you think, Antifa would be less active, or more peacefull if this was for a "right wing" cause (that goes against Antifa (anti fascism))?
----------------------------------
1) Wouldn't you want someone to try and protest the US from a change towards fascim if that was takeing place?
-----------------------------------------
2) Antifa cause's align with BLM in this case, they arnt trying to cause trouble or have the messageing turn to crap. They want it to go along peacefully and get real results, they arn't out to destroy america or something.  Basically your not thinking these things through imo.

Why do you even response with this,so many assumptions about character.

First bolded: What does Trump have to do with Antifa or with what i think?

Second bolded: I did not type anything like that,i say that in comparison you would have more white supremacists.

Third bolded: Yes but surely not a group like them,you can compare it with PETA members that inflict animal suffering out of pure ignorant textbook fantasy followup,most of the protest they're on they either use forms of fascism themselves to shut down free speech or leave a trail of destruction and you just keep sweettalking them because they have a cool name.

Fourth: I hope they stay far away from BLM, imo it wont help the cause.

So yes we both fundamentally think differently about that group,i have seen them in person and i have watched interviews with leading members while also have seen what they caused over the years especially in European cities so my opinion on them is not highly atm.

First) "What does Trump have to do with Antifa or with what i think?"

He names them as the reason things escaleted. "The rioting and looting, is because of the radical left and antifa." (me paraphraseing him)
You just happend to be spouteing the same line of non-sense in this thread, a day after trump does so on tv? suuuure.

"I did not type anything like that,i say that in comparison you would have more white supremacists."

You didnt blame Antifa for the looting and rioting? I guess I miss understood though then.

Second)

Immersiveunreality said:
SpokenTruth said:

1). What radical leftist organization in the US is more well funded and better organized than the KKK, QAnon, NRA, Kock Brothers, the police themselves, Oath Keepers, etc...

2). Thanks for noting that the white supremacists are the bad guys.  

3). Occam's Razor.

Antifa seems to be semiorganised to well organised depending on area,those are radical leftists/anarchists.

That seems a tiny bit more reasonable to think instead of thinking about white supremacist groups.

This was a conversation about actors, rilling up groups right?
SpokenTruth is saying its much more likely that its a Far-right group.

You just happend to bring up Antifa, and "that seems a tiny bit more reasonable to think of" (as opposed to supremacist groups).

Did I miss understand this?
Your not blameing Antifa?

Third)
"Third bolded: Yes but surely not a group like them,you can compare it with PETA members that inflict animal suffering out of pure ignorant textbook fantasy followup,most of the protest they're on they either use forms of fascism themselves to shut down free speech or leave a trail of destruction and you just keep sweettalking them because they have a cool name."

Im not aware of any of that, however I wont take your word for it, that sounds like made up bullcrap.
Why would a group of anti facists promote facists ways? "to shut down free speech" ? what does a facist way of doing that even look like? do they go around beating up people until they cant speak out against facism? forceing people to be quiet? common now.  "or leave a trail of destruction" what the point of such a vage comment? in what sense? Everytime Antifa shows up, theres destruction? do you have proof? and can you prove there isnt such when other groups show up at rallies?

Yes I keep sweetalking them because they have a cool name.
Its such a lose idealogy its basically "we dont support facism".

If there was a anti-murder group, whos entire funktion was to promote "non killing", I'd support them too on the "sweettalking of their name".

Facism is a dictatorship that uses violence to suppress people.
Obviously thats a bad thing, and as long as antifa dont "suppress" people with violence themselves (something their apparently against) I think its fine they go to rallies or protests. Which I assume they only do in cases were theres cause for it (ei. others being suppressed, and threats of violence).

Also its hard to protest against violence, if your meet with violence.
You seem just as quick to lable antifa as something horrible, as I am to assume their "the good guys".

Fourth)

Fourth: "I hope they stay far away from BLM, imo it wont help the cause."

Says who?
This is litteraly what the group stands for.
Why would it hurt any? unless the people on the right side of the fence, make them out to be bad guys, and then place blame at BLM for it.
But again why would they do that?

"i have seen them in person and i have watched interviews with leading members while also have seen what they caused over the years especially in European cities so my opinion on them is not highly atm."

I thought it was a american movement. Antifa we re talking about atleast is in america.

"watched interviews with leading members"
Again isn't this a non interconnected or unifed organisation? ei. there is no leadership. They have no hierachical structure. Its a group of likeminded individuals.

From wikipedia:
"According to Dartmouth College historian Mark Bray, an expert on the movement, "The vast majority of anti-fascist organizing is nonviolent. But their willingness to physically defend themselves and others from white supremacist violence and preemptively shut down fascist organizing efforts before they turn deadly distinguishes them from liberal anti-racists.""

They basically only get violent, if the far right and white power groups do as well.
They show up to counter protest, when white power groups gather.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 02 June 2020

Around the Network

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

White supremacist group poses as Antifa on Twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIOYAQd3x8o

(also people with bats, conviently show up, to riot & loot at the place mentioned... and kick it all off)

this tweet is golden:

it has a picture like this (below) with the text "Antifa in 1944" (aka the allied nations) :

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 02 June 2020

konnichiwa said:
d21lewis said:

People don't realize that until very recently, black people couldn't even eat in certain restaurants, even if they worked there. We couldn't even walk through the front door. We couldn't go to the same schools. Couldn't look white people in the eye. We could be lunched without repercussions (one actually happened at the courthouse 30 minutes from where I live). We couldn't vote.

Be better people.

I have no idea how you got that from his post.  Maybe read it again without the selective snippets?  D21 has a good head on his shoulders and his message is a good one.  You can’t just rant about the problems, if you see a problem, think of a solution to it.  Ranting about the problems without offering solutions to the problems serves nobody.

So much for the first amendment in the US.

The US government is attacking its own people and suppressing their freedom of speech. The US is officially a tyranny.