By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here experienced the amazing 4th gen console wars ?

SNES and MegaDive were quite some time after my childhood, so I had no insight into what kids were bickering about, by that time all the people I knew that were gaming were either on Amiga or PC.
But C64 vs ZX...now that I 'member (C64 of course)

Around the Network

I have played games for almost 30 years, the most fun I ever had with consoles was in the 4th generation due to video games being a new thing for me, the 5th generation due to the change to 3d graphics, mostly because of N64,  6th generation due to the amount of great games, mostly because of dreamcast, the most fun I ever had at launch of any console.

Most fun consoles/games

1 - NES (mario, contra, tetris, galaxy, excite bike, ice climber)

2 - Dreamcast (Shenmue, chu chu rockets, sonic adventure, skies of arcadia, crazy taxi, virtue tennis, soulcalibur, sega rally, metropolis street racer, headhunter)

3 - N64 (mario 64, Ocarina of time, Mario kart, Golden eye, Wave race, mario tennis, Turok, Pilot wings)

I was hoping for some more awesome/petty war stories but it seems like everyone was too old or too young or just didn't experience it.

In retrospect, it was relatively short. When the SNES entered the fray, it almost felt like the fight went out of Sega. They battled for a couple of years bringing great games like Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 but it really seemed like they quickly abandoned the Genesis in favor of add-ons and the Saturn.

The seventh gen went on a lot longer. But for those of us who remember it, the 4th gen was probably the gold standard for console wars.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 01 June 2020

I never experienced the 4th gen console wars, but my parents did. I remember my parents both talking about how heated the SNES/Genesis discussion could get at school at times. Apparently at some point in the mid 90s my dad had both consoles but never really elaborated on it so I don't know if you'd be viewed as a "traitor" for owning both consoles, or whatever. This gen doesn't seem to really have much of a console war and I think it's because many more people own two or all consoles so there's less of a side to take. I do remember the 7th(?) gen console wars, between the Wii, PS3, and X360, and I was in the "ew every non-nintendo game is Brown And Grey Mush Hell" camp even though for the majority of that time I didn't even own a current gen console. I owned a Gamecube during the majority of the 7th gen and in like 2010 or 2011 my parents bought a Wii and they used it more than I did because of the virtual console

Where I lived and in school we discussed a lot about what was better, but ended up playing at each other house and enjoying both so no real war.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I was hoping for some more awesome/petty war stories but it seems like everyone was too old or too young or just didn't experience it.

In retrospect, it was relatively short. When the SNES entered the fray, it almost felt like the fight went out of Sega. They battled for a couple of years bringing great games like Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 but it really seemed like they quickly abandoned the Genesis in favor of add-ons and the Saturn.

The seventh gen went on a lot longer. But for those of us who remember it, the 4th gen was probably the gold standard for console wars.

Computer v console

Our IT teacher would always brag about his hard drive and and other computer specs and mock us console kiddies for our less eclectic taste in games. Lemmings was his game of choice and it was such a cerebral game that he and no-one he knew could complete it.

One of the gaming mags did their annual cheat special that was an inch thick and had walkthroughs for every big game including .....Lemmings. The magazine had completely sold out so when Mr Boffin found out about the magazine, his adult nerd powers of being able to backorder a magazine failed him. Me? I knew about it a month in advance because I bought console mags not lame computer mags and had it on pre-order and so when it arrived and no-one else managed to get a copy, I basically became a Wizard.

Part of the backstory is that he claimed he didn't go to these copy orgies that the geeks held and he was completely above board. Lemmings was being ported to everything and more and more people were playing it. He wanted to lend the magazine but so did everybody else so I kept saying I couldn't find it or he gave me too much homework that week which made me forget to bring it again. In reality it was been shared around between friends with priority given to anyone who owned Lemmings so we could take turns torturing him.

Someone would go into an IT lesson, start a conversation up about Lemmings then laugh at Mr Brains because he got stuck on such a simple level and then torture him further by purposefully mis-remembering the solution the level. He would send notes to my form tutor requesting that I be allowed out 5 mins early to drop off the magazine at his classroom. I probably could have got some sexual favours he was that desperate.

We pushed it too far when, at our form tutor's suggestion, we gave the magazine to the girls so that they could pretend they played Lemmings and torture him even more. All the laughing was giving the game away and he caught us passing the magazine around the class.

He confiscated it til the end of the day while he used the school photocopier to copy the pages he needed like some filthy pirate would.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

SvennoJ said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Hmm not exactly happened in my region, we just got four of them(Genesis, Game Gear, SNES and Game Boy) for mainly first party games, so... no.. Everything was fine until 8th generation began the console wars here.

Same for me actually. I lived in the Netherlands until 2002, never noticed any console war. Some had MSX, some C64, some Nintendo, some Sega. Cartridge systems were less popular due to incompatibility with the rampant piracy in those days.

I didn't notice any console war until XBox joined the scene. MS butting in started the whole thing, especially since it 'stole' Halo away from PC. Although since PC had plenty better shooters, nobody really cared. We were too busy shooting each other in LAN setups. Not until the ps3 and 360 did the console 'war' become a thing. But really only on vgchartz lol. I've always bought all consoles since the ps1, except the xbox one. Biggest reason, ran out of space lol. Series X being bigger again is a big negative for me...

Oh yeah, i heard some several regions began console wars in 7th gen days, I think because of price tags, specs and HDMI output lol

Mine here is. When Phil Spencer announced a bunch of cool market stuff for Xbox One known or such as Gamepass, external HDD support, Xbox Games with Gold and backward compatibility, these features in fact... caused the console wars lmao

GarbCat said:

I never experienced the 4th gen console wars, but my parents did. I remember my parents both talking about how heated the SNES/Genesis discussion could get at school at times. Apparently at some point in the mid 90s my dad had both consoles but never really elaborated on it so I don't know if you'd be viewed as a "traitor" for owning both consoles, or whatever. This gen doesn't seem to really have much of a console war and I think it's because many more people own two or all consoles so there's less of a side to take. I do remember the 7th(?) gen console wars, between the Wii, PS3, and X360, and I was in the "ew every non-nintendo game is Brown And Grey Mush Hell" camp even though for the majority of that time I didn't even own a current gen console. I owned a Gamecube during the majority of the 7th gen and in like 2010 or 2011 my parents bought a Wii and they used it more than I did because of the virtual console

Ah, the 7th gen. I'll admit back in the early days of it when I was still in my late teens I engaged in a bit of the old console warring myself, the Nintendo fan in me being gleeful that they were finally on top again and rubbing it in the face of those were salty about Wii beating PS3/360.

That was probably the most involved I ever got in the whole business of console wars. Once I moved to Uni, got my own Wii/360, and had access to a PS3 through one of my dorm mates, I mellowed out a bit and played on all three.

I think what made that war so exciting was that it was such an upset, with the formerly invincible reigning brand coming crashing down to earth and the former laughing-stock losers rising from the ashes.

d21lewis said:

I dunno, I feel like those add-ons were part of their fight to keep the Megadrive competitive, rather than an abandonment. It was 4-5 years from the release of the SNES to the Saturn, I wouldn't call that moving on quickly or giving up easily. Even late in the gen you had aggressive ads and games designed specifically to counter Nintendo, like Vectorman being pitched as their answer to the pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country.

QUAKECore89 said:

Oh yeah, i heard some several regions began console wars in 7th gen days, I think because of price tags, specs and HDMI output lol

Mine here is. When Phil Spencer announced a bunch of cool market stuff for Xbox One known or such as Gamepass, external HDD support, Xbox Games with Gold and backward compatibility, these features in fact... caused the console wars lmao

Indeed, marketing stuff as if it was new and something special and exclusive.

HDMI, first 360s didn't have HDMI, I had to use component cables at first for the 360. Plus 360 had an annoying gamma adjustment in the signal making everything have black crush. The only generation where I needed separate tv settings for different consoles. (dunno if fixed with XOne, don't have it)
Kinect, the new eye-toy.
Games with gold, ps+ on ps3.
External HDD support, ps2 expansion bay.
Gamepass, extension of ps+ basically
Cloud nonsense.
BC as old as dirt, only became relevant when ps4 didn't have it lol.
Smart delivery, just a new name for cross-buy.

MS fired up the console wars by hammering on specs and features instead of games. Before XBox entered the scene console 'wars' were mostly about which (exclusive) games were better. Nowadays it's all fapping over specs.

7th gen became the war of the features. Browsers, music/video apps, friends lists, party chat and other crap. Nowadays more and more often I simply disable the network connection so I can play a game in peace.

Pyro as Bill said:

Computer v console

How is your fairy tale even remotely connected to "Computer vs console"?

You really have some problems.