By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here experienced the amazing 4th gen console wars ?

My younger brother and I owned an SNES growing up (after having had the NES before it as well).  One of his friends was a Genesis fanboy, bragging about the speed of Sonic, etc.  And, my best friend's family primarily bought Sega consoles.  I'm talking every expansion to the Genesis from that original bulky Sega CD deck to the 32X.  But, we never got into fist fights with anyone over it though.  My brother and I were perfectly content with Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy II & III, Top Gear, etc.  The commercial I remember thinking was total BS back then was the Blast Processing one showing Sonic playing on a TV strapped to a dragster while Mario Kart was playing on the back of a beat up milk truck or whatever that was.

Around the Network

I did. I mean, there was no bullying of fighting going on because of it. Plus I was in high school. Grade 9 when the Genesis launched. One kid that got bullied happened to have a New Geo, but that was unrelated. I mostly got into fanboy stuff with 3 of my cousins.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I do remember people arguing the Genesis was more powerful because Sonic ran faster than Mario but even back then I thought it was bullshit and pointless. Then it moved to the fact that Mortal Kombat had no blood on SNES (which my teenage self thought was a shame). It never caused anything more than small arguments between friends.

Signature goes here!

trunkswd said:
That was my very first generation. As a kid the whole SEGA does what Nintendon't and Blast Processing marketing worked on me. I had a Genesis to play the Sonic games and later on I even got the 32X and SEGA CD add-ons. Neither were worth the money.

My friend had the SEGA CD and the games for that add-on were funny/terrible. Night Trap in particular amused us for a while with it's B-movie production quality, corny dialogue and limited gameplay. We would write down the order in which the check the cameras to catch all the monsters.

Signature goes here!

Where im from Genesis was very uncommon and Sega in general was not popular, most of us had a SNES. The few people I knew who owned a Gensis really didnt get bullied or anything of the sort tho, I think it was the opposite, it was a nice friendship to have to learn about new games lol, my neighbor (who is my cousin) had one and I used to play a lot in his house, thats how I got to know Sonic to begin with. I really liked the Genesis's library to be honest, but yeah, didnt feel like much of a console war at the time, or maybe I wasnt aware there was one.

Around the Network

My name and avatar say all really. If I could fit it in there you would see Ranger X as well.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I've had MegaDrive clone and didn't know that SNES even existed. It was also already when the fight was over as I've gotten this MegaDrive around the late gen 5.

I became a gamer in that generation with the SNES, but didn't find out about the whole console war thing until I read about it in a gaming magazine at a friend's house in 1998.

I knew several people with an SNES, but the only folks I knew who owned a Megadrive were my cousins in the city; I used to play it at their place and just thought it was cool to play something different, I was intrigued by this strange console they had that wasn't a Nintendo.

Years later, I asked them whatever happened to it and they said it had been in a cardboard box in the shed for many years and that I could have it if I wanted. I still have it to this day.

Me.  In fact, I'm old enough to remember this:

I was a teenager in that time. Sega Genesis and Nintendo were for kids, we played on Amiga 500 and 486 PC. I didn't get into consoles until PS1 with Final Fantasy 7. There was no rivalry between Amiga and PC back then as far as I can remember. My childhood was spend on MSX.