By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 17 to 23

yo33331 said:
mk7sx said:
Should do a weekly comparison of NSW 2020 vs. DS 07 08 09 and Wii 08 using VGC numbers.

I might put it together if no one else has easy access - NSW 2020 might be on pace for fastest to 10M in a calendar year.

Just checked on it.

The strongest first 5 months of a year were to DS in 2007 which did 9.125M with may included.

The Switch with the 3rd week of may is at 8.7M for this year, so it have to make a bit over 400K the last week to beat the DS numbers in 2007.. and probably won't.

However it is still very impressive, it beats every other console on every other year.

P.S. Just to report a bug.. the hardware by date chart doesn't show all of the numbers when you put the cursor over the lines .. it shows only some of the console numbers..

I am well aware of the issue with the Hardware by Date graph. It is a height thing, which is why it is only showing 4 consoles instead of 5 or more. I've let TalonMan know about the issue. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. But he is super busy on creating a new front page for us. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
It seems that scalpers are working hard with the switch!

Indeed, if more people had the option to buy from a retailer its numbers would be even higher than this.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Read and share this article here.

Year on Year Sales & Market Share Charts - May 23, 2020

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2017 – (Week ending January 7 to May 27)

2018 – (Week ending January 6 to May 26)

2019 – (Week ending January 5 to May 25)

2020 – (Week ending January 4 to May 23)

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

"Year to date" sales for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2020 versus 2019 and 2020 versus 2018 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Up Year-on-Year 411,723 (32.2%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 3,877,894 (81.1%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 512,607 (-75.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 182,215 (-3.6%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

What's with Xbox One doing surprisingly respectable numbers?

Shaunodon said:

Coronavirus has caused a bump in gaming sales across the board since mid-March. The Xbox One is the cheapest console on the market, but Microsoft has run a lot of deals for the console. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Shaunodon said:

Coronavirus has caused a bump in gaming sales across the board since mid-March. The Xbox One is the cheapest console on the market, but Microsoft has run a lot of deals for the console. 

Basically this, Xbox One X bundles were slashed to $299 Mid April.

PS4 price cut wont happen, due to high ps5 price, PS4 could outsell ps2 with a price cut.

JapaneseGamesLover said:
PS4 price cut wont happen, due to high ps5 price, PS4 could outsell ps2 with a price cut.

Unlikely; at this late stage in its life, PS4 will be close to market saturation so a price cut won't do as much as it would have in its prime.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
JapaneseGamesLover said:

Unlikely; at this late stage in its life, PS4 will be close to market saturation so a price cut won't do as much as it would have in its prime.

I do agree it is highly unlikely. Sony would have to mess up with the PS5 at launch as bad as they did with the PS3.

I can not update my FY sales graphics (that many people here liked!), because of this bug still present which doesn't display the sales of the Switch on the home page.
It is not working for me on Firefox and Chrome.
Can I have the hardware sales values of the Switch in a table for the period Feb to May 2020 ?

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary