By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation Event on June 4, "Playstation 5 official game reveal" , EDIT Official Sony confirmed it will be June 4

Well it's weak but what the hell, it's going around today with a timed PS5 exclusive rumor.

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/510006864

Final Fantasy XVI will be announced at the Summer Game Fest Anonymous 05/28/20(Thu)00:25:23 No.510006864 ▶>>510008730 >>510010286 >>510011013
According to information I got from an insider very close to the marketing department of the Square Enix company, he has several important games to announce during the Summer Game Fest.
And among these important announcements there are also Final Fantasy XVI, and the new IP of Luminous Studios Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology.

Final Fantasy XVI it is an action jrpg with strategic elements, with openworld exploration of the game world and with macro-areas of cities and dungeons within the rich openworld itself and a free exploration of entire continents.
The main director of the project is Naoki Yoshida and the game has a classic fantasy concept but with steampunk elements and has a battle system inspired by Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XV. The game will also see the return of the jobs system, but in a different key from the classic, and the ability to customize and change the equipments and even the name of the characters.

The project begins his development in the 2017 with the Unreal Engine 4, and the team haven't decided yet if actually future converting the game for Unreal Engine 5. The DLC's and expansions for the game are still in the planning phase by the development team, but the top management's of the company they suggests, with a strong will, a Game as a Service approach with this project. But they have established a preliminary release date for the game, scheduled for the company's fiscal year 2021, (with a closing window in the first quarter of 2022), timed exclusive for PS5.

Also,

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/509999717

Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology will be announced at the Summer Game Fest Yhrim 05/27/20(Wed)23:09:59 No.509999717 ▶
This is the name of the brand new IP of Luminous Production of Square Enix.
According to information I got from an insider very close to the marketing department of the Square Enix company, he has several important games to announce during the Summer Game Fest.
And among these important announcements there are also Final Fantasy XVI, and the new IP of Luminous Studios Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology.

Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology is an action JRPG game, settled into a huge openworld developed with the Luminous Engine.
The combat system is designed to place greater emphasis on elemental spells, and how they can be modified by the main character in the environment, transforming them into barriers or long-distance projectiles, and with a significant impact in the environments in which they are left. The spells can also change the appearance and the ability of the weapons equipped, and of the equipments too, giving different power up and changing some of the abilities.
The games that inspired the developers in creating this game were: Final Fantasy - The 4 Heroes of Light, and Parasite Eve.
The game is in development for PS5, Xbox Series X and PC, it does not yet have a final launch date, but has a launch window set for the fiscal year 2022.

Like I said, it's weak, it's 4chan but we'll see. A timed FF16 to PS5 would be huge though.

Around the Network

It's not official yet though, is it?

The title should be changed accordingly if so.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

shikamaru317 said:
Blood_Tears said:
Well it's weak but what the hell, it's going around today with a timed PS5 exclusive rumor.

Final Fantasy XVI will be announced at the Summer Game Fest Anonymous 05/28/20(Thu)00:25:23 No.510006864 ▶>>510008730 >>510010286 >>510011013

Final Fantasy XVI it is an action jrpg with strategic elements, with openworld exploration of the game world and with macro-areas of cities and dungeons within the rich openworld itself and a free exploration of entire continents.
The main director of the project is Naoki Yoshida and the game has a classic fantasy concept but with steampunk elements and has a battle system inspired by Dark Souls and Final Fantasy XV. The game will also see the return of the jobs system, but in a different key from the classic, and the ability to customize and change the equipments and even the name of the characters.

The project begins his development in the 2017 with the Unreal Engine 4, and the team haven't decided yet if actually future converting the game for Unreal Engine 5. The DLC's and expansions for the game are still in the planning phase by the development team, but the top management's of the company they suggests, with a strong will, a Game as a Service approach with this project. But they have established a preliminary release date for the game, scheduled for the company's fiscal year 2021, (with a closing window in the first quarter of 2022), timed exclusive for PS5.

Also,

Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology will be announced at the Summer Game Fest Yhrim 05/27/20(Wed)23:09:59 No.509999717 ▶

Crimson Arbitrium - Agni's Anthology is an action JRPG game, settled into a huge openworld developed with the Luminous Engine.
The combat system is designed to place greater emphasis on elemental spells, and how they can be modified by the main character in the environment, transforming them into barriers or long-distance projectiles, and with a significant impact in the environments in which they are left. The spells can also change the appearance and the ability of the weapons equipped, and of the equipments too, giving different power up and changing some of the abilities.
The games that inspired the developers in creating this game were: Final Fantasy - The 4 Heroes of Light, and Parasite Eve.
The game is in development for PS5, Xbox Series X and PC, it does not yet have a final launch date, but has a launch window set for the fiscal year 2022.

Like I said, it's weak, it's 4chan but we'll see. A timed FF16 to PS5 would be huge though.

Yeah, that seems a it like a FF fans wet dream honestly, too good to be true. Both FF16 and Agni's Philosophy in development at the same time as FF7 Remake (not to mention 2 Kingdom Hearts games we know are in development). While it would be cool to see the Agni's Philosophy tech demo made into a game, I gave up hope of that years ago, it has been nearly 8 years afterall. 

It could be an acting game in partnership with Quantic Dream

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

But seriously, cannot wait!

shikamaru317 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Also,

Yeah, that seems a it like a FF fans wet dream honestly, too good to be true. Both FF16 and Agni's Philosophy in development at the same time as FF7 Remake (not to mention 2 Kingdom Hearts games we know are in development). While it would be cool to see the Agni's Philosophy tech demo made into a game, I gave up hope of that years ago, it has been nearly 8 years afterall. 

Huh? SE has 5 teams:

Team 1 - FF7 Remake, KH

Team 2 - Nier and Bravely series

Team 3 - The team rumored to be doing FF16 currently doing FF14

Team 4 - Mana and Dragon Quest 

Luminous Studio - FFXV team currently tasked with new IP.

Not saying that rumor is true but idea that it can't be because all those games being in development at the same time is crazy ... is crazy. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

snip

Having enough teams to do it and actually doing it are 2 very different things. Just look at this gen, they had plenty of developers this gen, but in 7 years all we got AAA wise from Square was FF15, KH3, DQ 11, and FF7 Remake part 1 (Nier Automata doesn't count as it was developed by Platinum, not Square). 

So I'm not saying that Square isn't capable of releasing like 8 AAA games this gen (FF7 Remake Part 2 and 3, KH interquel between 3 and 4, KH4, FF16, Agni's Philosophy, Nier 3, and DQ12), they certainly have enough devs to do it, but I'll believe it when I see it, Square's slowness this past gen has lowered my expectations for them in the future. 

SE were faffing about A LOT trying to build the luminous engine with different builds of FFXV and KH3 before they switched to UE4. With UE5 on the way, they might supply a more steady steam of games this upcoming gen... or is that wishful thinking xD

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

Huh? SE has 5 teams:

Team 1 - FF7 Remake, KH

Team 2 - Nier and Bravely series

Team 3 - The team rumored to be doing FF16 currently doing FF14

Team 4 - Mana and Dragon Quest 

Luminous Studio - FFXV team currently tasked with new IP.

Not saying that rumor is true but idea that it can't be because all those games being in development at the same time is crazy ... is crazy. 

Having enough teams to do it and actually doing it are 2 very different things. Just look at this gen, they had plenty of developers this gen, but in 7 years all we got AAA wise from Square was FF15, KH3, DQ 11, and FF7 Remake part 1 (Nier Automata doesn't count as it was developed by Platinum, not Square). 

So I'm not saying that Square isn't capable of releasing like 8 AAA games this gen (FF7 Remake Part 2 and 3, KH interquel between 3 and 4, KH4, FF16, Agni's Philosophy, Nier 3, and DQ12), they certainly have enough devs to do it, but I'll believe it when I see it, Square's slowness this past gen has lowered my expectations for them in the future. 

What? This is dumb argument my guy.

SE has released one big game in all their biggest IP's lol. The amount of AAA releases is = to the amount you own! Outside of those they round their catalog with B tier releases. SE moves no slower than any other developer creating these super expensive games. Your argument reads like a self raised wall.

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

SE has released one big game in all their biggest IP's lol. The amount of AAA releases is = to the amount you own! Outside of those they round their catalog with B tier releases. SE moves no slower than any other developer creating these super expensive games. Your argument reads like a self raised wall.

1 big (AAA) game per IP in 7 years is the same as other big publishers? I think not. Looking at the 7 years from 2013-2020, Activision will release 7 CoD games in 7 years. EA will release 7 games per sport, 4 Battlefield games, and 2 Battlefront games in 7 years. Ubisoft will release 7 Assassin's Creed games, 4 Far Cry games, 3 Watch Dogs games, 2 Ghost Recon games, 2 Rainbow Six games, and 2 The Division games in 7 years. Microsoft will release 6 Forza games in 7 years, 2 Halo games, and 2 Gears games. Sony will release 2 TLOU and 2 Uncharted games in 7 years (possibly 2 Horizon games and 2 GT games as well, if Horizon 2 and GT7 end up being launch titles for PS5). WB will seemingly release 3 Batman Arkham games (new Batman Arkham from WB Montreal is rumored for announce very soon and release later this year) and 2 LOTR games in 7 years. Capcom has released 3 Resident Evil games and 2 Dead Rising games. 

By comparison, Square has released 2 AAA FF games, 1 AAA KH game, and 1 AAA DQ game in 7 years, from their internal Japanese dev teams. Sadly that makes Square one of the slowest publishers this past gen at AAA development. I'm just not going to suddenly expect them to double their JP AAA output next gen from 4 games to 8 games. If it happens, great, I'll be very happy, but I'm not going to expect it from them. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed I always say. 

Edit: Though to be fair to Square, their western teams have had much faster AAA output this past gen than their JP teams. Crystal Dynamics will end up releasing 3 AAA games in 7 years (2 Tomb Raider and Avengers), Eidos will end up releasing 3 AAA games in 7 years (1 Deus Ex, 1 Tomb Raider, and 1 Thief). 

You are making a very unfair comparison when you try to put copy and paste yearly releases to buff numbers. and have you compared the size of each team? Or you just want to shoot down SE?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

1 big (AAA) game per IP in 7 years is the same as other big publishers? I think not. Looking at the 7 years from 2013-2020, Activision will release 7 CoD games in 7 years. EA will release 7 games per sport, 4 Battlefield games, and 2 Battlefront games in 7 years. Ubisoft will release 7 Assassin's Creed games, 4 Far Cry games, 3 Watch Dogs games, 2 Ghost Recon games, 2 Rainbow Six games, and 2 The Division games in 7 years. Microsoft will release 6 Forza games in 7 years, 2 Halo games, and 2 Gears games. Sony will release 2 TLOU and 2 Uncharted games in 7 years (possibly 2 Horizon games and 2 GT games as well, if Horizon 2 and GT7 end up being launch titles for PS5). WB will seemingly release 3 Batman Arkham games (new Batman Arkham from WB Montreal is rumored for announce very soon and release later this year) and 2 LOTR games in 7 years. Capcom has released 3 Resident Evil games and 2 Dead Rising games. 

By comparison, Square has released 2 AAA FF games, 1 AAA KH game, and 1 AAA DQ game in 7 years, from their internal Japanese dev teams. Sadly that makes Square one of the slowest publishers this past gen at AAA development. I'm just not going to suddenly expect them to double their JP AAA output next gen from 4 games to 8 games. If it happens, great, I'll be very happy, but I'm not going to expect it from them. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed I always say. 

Edit: Though to be fair to Square, their western teams have had much faster AAA output this past gen than their JP teams. Crystal Dynamics will end up releasing 3 AAA games in 7 years (2 Tomb Raider and Avengers), Eidos will end up releasing 3 AAA games in 7 years (1 Deus Ex, 1 Tomb Raider, and 1 Thief). 

Terrible Terrible Terrible comparison. 

You comparing Publishers who have a shit ton of studios around the world, who regularly rotate the IP among those studios/ or involve multiple studios for different parts of ONE game to ONE DEVELOPMEMT TEAM! Ubisoft specifically does this! Example Assasin Creed Odysssey was done by Ubisoft Montreal, Quebec and Singapore! That is over 1000 bodies working on 1 game! 

SE has 5 active teams and those teams are responsible for all parts of those projects. Japan has remained very traditional about this.

EDIT: you also are not considering that western development teams tend to focus one IP for the entire gen while Japanese developments teams tend to have multiple IPs they juggle. So you just cant ignore that only one DQ was released when that same team also does Mana games too.

Last edited by Xxain - on 28 May 2020

shikamaru317 said:
DonFerrari said:

You are making a very unfair comparison when you try to put copy and paste yearly releases to buff numbers. and have you compared the size of each team? Or you just want to shoot down SE?

You are right that yearly stuff like EA sports and Forza being on the list is a bit unfair. The rest I listed are not copy-paste though, not even CoD, contrary to what some believe about the series (every CoD game but 1 this gen has had an original campaign, mostly original maps, and mostly original guns, very little in CoD has gotten copy-pasted this gen, most of the games have taken place in different time periods which prevented copy-pasting).

As for team sizes, a comparison to other development teams is pretty much impossible because Square doesn’t release any information about the make-up of their development divisions. The only team size out of all the Square JP teams that we know is Luminous Productions, which had 130 devs as of September 2019. We can however compare Square’s overall employee count of 4,600 as of 2019 to other publishers, and it is true that Square is smaller than the 3 big western publishers as well as Take-Two/2K, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft (EA and Activision Blizzard have about twice the employees Square has while Ubisoft has a whopping 16,000, and Take-Two is just slightly bigger than Square), but they are the biggest JP publisher, and also seem to have more devs than Zenimax (Bethesda Parent company which released like 10 AAA games this gen) and Warner Bros. Interactive.

Xxain said:

Terrible Terrible Terrible comparison. 

You comparing Publishers who have a shit ton of studios around the world, who regularly rotate the IP among those studios/ or involve multiple studios for different parts of ONE game to ONE DEVELOPMEMT TEAM! Ubisoft specifically does this! Example Assasin Creed Odysssey was done by Ubisoft Montreal, Quebec and Singapore! That is over 1000 bodies working on 1 game! 

SE has 5 active teams and those teams are responsible for all parts of those projects. Japan has remained very traditional about this.

EDIT: you also are not considering that western development teams tend to focus one IP for the entire gen while Japanese developments teams tend to have multiple IPs they juggle. So you just cant ignore that only one DQ was released when that same team also does Mana games too.

Perhaps, but your argument that 1 AAA game per IP per gen is about the same as other developers is equally as bad, I think I showed that much. Fact is that the vast majority of AAA games are made in 3 or 4 years, and yet in the 8th console generation, which ran from Holiday 2013 to Fall 2020, 7 years, only 1 of Square’s JP development teams has managed to release 2 AAA games, Nomura’s team which released KH3 and FF7 Remake part 1. Square’s other JP development teams only released 1 AAA game or no AAA games during this 7 year gen. That is slower than average for AAA development.

You are right that Square’s JP teams have released a good many smaller AA and A games  this past gen, but it doesn’t change the fact that they haven’t released many AAA games. The other publishers have also released a lot of smaller games after all, while still managing to release more AAA games than Square did. Even ignoring western devs, Capcom pulled off more AAA games than Square this gen, while also releasing at least as many AA and A games as Square released, despite having less developers than Square.

I acknowledged that Square has enough development teams and developers to pull off a lot more AAA games next gen, and job listings suggest that they are going to try to increase AAA development next gen. But I am not going to count my chickens before they hatch. Nobody will be more happy than me to see Square release a lot more AAA games next gen, I truly hope they do, but I’m not going to expect it because that may lead to disappointment.

You also do know that not all AAA is the same size or budget and also it is attached to expected revenue. So saying R* is slow to release games because the only AAA game they released this gen was RDR2 would be quite unfair. Sure SE isn't that profilic when compared to past gens but I wouldn't say they releasing 1 title per team on gen 9 is something crazy. Even 2 titles would be feasible depending on the size and if they share same engine.

Ubi, EA and Activision is several folds bigger than they from what I know. And even if you say every CoD is different (won't dispute it since I don't play) a 4-6h campain is a lot shorter than a 40-100h campain that SE games generally offer.

From what I remember you are cutting out the 3 Tomb Raiders, 1 FF (14 is still updated regularly) and probably some other titles.

EDIT - https://www.giantbomb.com/square-enix/3010-104/published/

Marvel Avengers, Dying Light 1 and 2, FFVIIR Part 1, FF XV, FF XIV, KH3, DQ11, Just Cause 3 and 4, Tomb Raider Reboot 1 2 and 3, Nier Automata (even if outsourced), Deus Ex, Murdered Soul Suspect, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (still big even if bad), Thief, FF XIII Lighting Returns (if we want to count 7 years instead of current gen only), 

This seems quite more than you had listed before, besides a plethora of smaller games.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 29 May 2020