By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

LudicrousSpeed said:
goopy20 said:

Not sure what you're saying, do you mean no game can be next gen gen because they can just scale everything down and have it run on a mobile too? That would mean BF5 isn't a current gen game because it has the same gameplay as BF 1942 from 2002, with only a bit better rocks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybtURWmcdU

Next gen is all about new gameplay experiences, not necessarily new gameplay elements or even guaranteed better games. There will always be crappy games no matter how powerful the hardware is. Hell, we've already seen a bunch of them like Godfall and most games during MS's conference.

In any case, it doesn't matter what me or anyone on this forum thinks about both companies conferences. We can just look at the numbers. The Unreal 5 demo got over 11m views, has nearly 300k likes and only 6k dislikes. MS's conference had 1m views, 35k likes and 45k dislikes... Its a bit pointless to pretend that we don't know why both companies got the reactions they did, and what an introduction to next gen games should look like. We all know MS desperately needs to show something in July that has that same wow effect. We've already seen the reactions to a mere tech demo, so just imagine the reactions if Sony shows off actual games looking like that in June and MS has another stream showing Xone games with an optimized for Series X logo on the screen. 

No what he and others have meant in this thread is you argue both sides of the same coin whenever it suits your agenda. So it's no surprise that after making a few threads where you claim that next gen should be about more than pretty graphics, you're impressed by a demo and what it can showcase for next gen when that demo is literally just better graphics slapped onto gameplay that could have easily come from 2008. You also argued a ton that those types of graphics can't scale, that there's no way XSX games can look next gen if they are also designed to work on Xbone. And yet, again, you're very impressed by this demo designed to scale from the most powerful PC's all the way down to tablets and phones.

Even now you're starting to teeter back to the argument that next gen should be about new gameplay experiences, even though this demo showcased none of it (and why should it, it's not even a game). But you'll just have multiple people again tell you that cross gen doesn't limit the type of gameplay experiences you can offer, and also that next gen launch games typically don't wildly innovate gameplay anyway. Remember the other thread when you were honestly trying to tell us that Infamous 3 was a legit next gen game because it offered experiences not available on PS3, and you even linked a DigitalFoundry article? An article that literally said Infamous 3 didn't offer anything new gameplay wise but sure looked pretty? You've had a double standard from the start.

Also regarding views and likes and follows and tweets, didn't a picture of a controller or something blow up more than Microsoft actually showing the whole box and Hellblade II? I can see why you'd like to latch on to the numbers argument as it's seemingly all you have left, but they are clearly irrelevant. Playstation is simply more popular worldwide and by a large margin. Anything they show will have higher numbers.

It's also bizarre that you're criticizing one company for showcasing smaller games and cross gen games knowing full well that they have a first party showcase planned for July, while the other has shown literally nothing and you're fine with it lol

Okay, I dunno what to tell you. Maybe I was unclear with defining what new gameplay experiences typically mean for new consoles. Then again, should I really have to explain that? Next gen games aren't exactly a new phenomena. They are simply games that anyone and their grandma can give one looksie and understand they're a leap from anything we can play on current gen. Doesn't have anything to do with gameplay or if you or me thinks they are actually good games. Like I said, BF1942 from 2002 has practically the same gameplay mechanics as BF5. Does that mean you could just take BF1942, turn up the graphics settings and it would be BF5? Of course not, it's a totally different game designed around more powerful hardware.

And no, I'm not criticizing MS for showing smaller 3rd party games. I'm just saying the general consensus is that people want to be wow'ed and see what Series X can do, not hearing MS say this plays the same games as X1, but better. We'll have to wait till July but if they do the same thing, only with 1st party games, don't you think they'll get the same reaction? Thing is, I don't think MS conference was a total cluster fuck from their marketing department, they showed exactly what Phil Spencer's been saying for months. Games, that just like pc, scale up and down their family of devices. Everyone thought it was great, until they now finally got a glimpse of what it all actually means.

And sure, Sony is more popular so it makes sense their video got more views. But it's not so much the number of views that's telling, it's the percentage of dislikes they got. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 19 May 2020

Around the Network
zero129 said:
eva01beserk said:

Pretty sure MS is gona have some trailer for something that is so early in development that is gona look great. Like what they did with hellblade. Xbox fans are gona fall for it and hype it for years until it actually shows up, but most online are gona keep showing the same disapointment. 

Wow they must be taking tips from Sony then .

@OP i just knew who made this thread. And honestly i cant wait till xmas this year just so i can bring up all your old threads in one mega topic titled

"Goopy's fantasy world" .

I'm sure both are gona do it. Theres no doubt about that. But with all this backlash I think MS are gona do more of it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

zero129 said:
eva01beserk said:

I dont. First of the engine will be available next year, So devs will start to use it then and maybe the following year we might actually see something runing on it. No one said this would be launch games. 

Funny enough thats also in around the time frame MS will stop doing cross gen .

Most of Xbox devs use unreal engine. It could have been planed that way from the begining.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There have been articles claiming the Cell is far more capable than the Jaguar CPUs. Maybe its technically true, but it only seems theoretical to me and we can't ignore developers struggled with it. Therefore even if it was more capable, Jaguar CPU was still a better option than the Cell on PS4.

In regard to what we actually saw in games with the Cell on PS3, its worth considering it was limited to the significantly lower RAM and GPU capabilities of PS3. So that would impact AI and player counts as well. Either way, I'm not convinced the Cell was a good CPU for a gaming console.

The Cell can beat Jaguar in a few key scenarios... Such as Iterative Refinement in Floating Point, Games use all different kinds of maths/equations/problems and that is constantly changing, the Cell simply is only good at a handling a select few.

Where-as Jaguar is a far more balanced architecture as it needs to be proficient at all types of problems as the PC isn't some single-use environment, which means that higher precision floating point, integers and so forth tend to be higher performing on Jaguar.

Look at this way...

Let's say you have Cell and Jaguar cruising down the highway, the Cell might cruise happily at 100kilometers/miles per hour, but "occasionally" speed up to 200/km/miles depending if there are favorable road (I.E. Math) conditions.

Where-as Jaguar is able to do 150km/miles per hour constantly regardless of road conditions... And as such is able to beat Cell in the race to the end, Cell might have the higher potential top speed, but it's impossible to maintain it.

It's another case where "Flops" does not tell the entire story, only the theoretical maximum, not the sustainable amount.

The Cell was definitely a good gaming CPU for the time, but it was obscenely difficult to program for, at the time developers were only getting used to building games for 2-threads, let alone the 6-7 of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, but when they did get used to building games in such a parallel fashion, games started to come into their own.
The other issue is that they are in-order designs, where-as Jaguar is very capable at handling "dirty" problems due to it's out-of-order design, branch prediction and so forth... And thus maintaining a degree of efficiency on the Cell and Xenon needed to have compilers optimized and "hand guided" in order to reduce CPU pipeline stalls on Cell and Xenon.

I could go more in-depth here, but that is a rough idea of why Jaguar is better than Cell... And again, the games do actually prove it, Frostbite multiplayer games on Xbox One/Playstation 4 had big increases in player counts, more impressive physics and so forth and that was a trend that occurred all generation long and allowed for a new Genre aka "Battle Royale" to become possible.

Zen takes things a big step forward though in a generational CPU increase, we probably haven't seen such a jump in a very long time on the CPU front, the CPU might only be mid-range, by Zen is stupidly capable and that has me moist for what it will bring to the table.

Makes sense, I recall a quote saying something like if a game is optimized for PS3 first then it will work fine on 360. Likely because the opposite would lead to more problems for optimization and we saw that.

I argue the Cell was a bad choice for a gaming console because it wasn't balanced, it was difficult to program for and it was likely more expensive while often getting similar results as 360's CPU at best.

There isn't any debate about the Jaguar CPUs being better than Xenon. Yet I feel like we don't have any notable examples of how great Cell truly was in gaming. Maybe MAG? On paper that seems like a feat for a console game of the time.

Battlefield multiplayer had larger maps and double the player count. However, a lot of that might have been thanks to the GPU and RAM boost as well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm not just making a blanket statement, I'm looking at individual games.

We were looking at titles like Ryse, Killzone:SF and Infamous:SS in particular. The goalpost seems to be moving to all games could work on 7th gen.

Anyway, I think we agree some constraints are just due to typical game design. When developers get better specs to work with, much of it often just goes to better presentation. I mean the UE5 wasn't boasting about a new gameplay experiences per se, it was showing us how dank rocks look with advanced lighting effects.

I don't know about goal posts but I've gone on record several times saying that this entire gen felt like gen 7.5. I watched Ryse on Twitch and it actually made me NOT want an Xbox One. I just wasn't impressed. And Second Son was my second PS4 game. Just like the PS3 (and PS2 now that I think about it--that's why I bought The Bouncer) I wanted my second game to be a graphical monster.

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations but I was disappointed with both. It took a long time for me to be happy with the 8th gen. It was a slow evolution. The PSVR, on the other hand. I was blown away on day one. That's the "wow" I wanted from a new machine. I think I've said Until Dawn was the first game that looked next gen to me--but thinking about it, it may have been The Order. Never played Killzone even when I could have gotten it for free. 

Maybe it's less about moving goalposts and people genuinely not being amazed.

*Edit* I actually wound up buy Ryse three different times 😂

Yep, I've called it gen 7.5 as well. I mean the biggest change seems like it was in the multiplayer experiences. I suppose PSVR can perceived as something fresh, I just feel the games are fundamentally not impressive or could be enjoyable without VR.

Quite honestly, I played all the launch era games of the 8th gen. Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Killzone:SF, Infamous:SS... and a few minutes of Knack. These were okay or solid games, not next gen experiences. Although, Dead Rising 3 impressed me because we never really saw something of scale pushing so many on screen enemies with decent physics.

The market mostly went with cross gen games. Which might be why 1st parties are seemingly focusing on cross gen content. As long as the games push 9th gen specs in performance and visual improvements, I think I'm fine with that early in the gen.

I'm saying the goal posts moved from people wanting next gen exclusives for new experiences. To better graphics is fine, even if cross gen games could deliver that.

I beat Ryse twice. Wouldn't be surprised if I beat again eventually likely on PC. I can't argue its a notable game, it just a shallow enjoyable experience with a cool story. However, I probably would have enjoyed it on 360 as well. I suspect it could have looked decent on 360 specs given the good job Crytek did with Crysis 3.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 19 May 2020

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Rise of the Tomb Raider was a cross-gen game, and the Witcher 3 runs on the switch; I don't think we need to worry about seeing next gen graphics on the XbSx, even for cross gen titles. Also, you people talk like 1-2 years is a long time. It's not. Games can take 4+ years to make. UE5 doesn't even launch until "1-2 years" into next gen anyway.

And all that is a moot point because Microsoft already showed 3 next gen only titles at the event!

Bandorr said:
Trunkin said:
Rise of the Tomb Raider was a cross-gen game, and the Witcher 3 runs on the switch; I don't think we need to worry about seeing next gen graphics on the XbSx, even for cross gen titles. Also, you people talk like 1-2 years is a long time. It's not. Games can take 4+ years to make. UE5 doesn't even launch until "1-2 years" into next gen anyway.

And all that is a moot point because Microsoft already showed 3 next gen only titles at the event!

Which 3? I can only name Medium right now.

Medium, the Ascent, and Scorn. TBH I get the feeling that the latter two could easily be scaled to current gen if the devs could be bothered, but oh well.

Bandorr said:
Trunkin said:

Medium, the Ascent, and Scorn. TBH I get the feeling that the latter two could easily be scaled to current gen if the devs could be bothered, but oh well.

Ascent isn't next-gen only. Xbox has it listed as Xbox one.

Scorn apparently was announced in 2014? With a second kickstarter in 2017.

But it isn't going to be on the Xbox one - so I did totally miss that.

Dang, you're right. I dunno where I got that the Ascent wasn't coming to XBone.

CGI-Quality said:
Trunkin said:

Scorn definitely could, given it was announced in 2017

Well technically almost all games launching on the next couple years could be scaled to run on 8th gen or even prior =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Well technically almost all games launching on the next couple years could be scaled to run on 8th gen or even prior =p

Any game can scale, but that's not really what people mean. Efficiently, you want your games to take advantage of the latest hardware. In Scorn's case, it's better suited for what's coming versus trying to put it on the Xbox One.

I know that. You can see when I reply to people talking about X or Y game launching on Switch. My answer is usually on, yes certainly this game could be ported to Switch but perhaps the sacrifices would be just to great to be worth it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."