By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

Wyrdness said:
Vodacixi said:

I think I saw it on Wikipedia and also several other forum threads over the internet that asked this same question. Not a reliable source by any means, but its what I read. 

There's also the fact that Intelligent Systems calls Nintendo "partner" in their website. Which, as I said, would be very weird to say from someone who is controlled by said partner. If Nintendo owned IS, they wouldn't call their owner "partner".

Wikipedia doesn't say that now though and as for partners look at what I pointed out earlier Creatures Inc are an affiliated partner as well yet they are a fully owned asset of Nintendo under their original registered name Ape. The are business reasons for the partner structure such as keeping certain properties and assets private.

Ok, after some visits to the japanese websites of both the Wikipedia entry for IS and IS website itself and if google translator is not shitting on me, Intelligent Systems is apparently owned by itself, because apparently IS is a limited company the capital of which comes 100% from IS itself. No other companies are involved in its ownership.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

Ok, after some visits to the japanese websites of both the Wikipedia entry for IS and IS website itself and if google translator is not shitting on me, Intelligent Systems is apparently owned by itself, because apparently IS is a limited company the capital of which comes 100% from IS itself. No other companies are involved in its ownership.

Anyone can set up a limited company even another company this actually makes it more likely that they're owned by Nintendo. Going by their history page it seems all their investment and funds are done through Nintendo which is probably why they never mention how the funds are sourced a key part is in the history section with the part of the company called Tech Co. this part of the company was later absorbed into IS which confirms Nintendo do have direct influence as Tech Co. was created with their investment.

Wyrdness said:
Vodacixi said:

Anyone can set up a limited company even another company this actually makes it more likely that they're owned by Nintendo. Going by their history page it seems all their investment and funds are done through Nintendo which is probably why they never mention how the funds are sourced a key part is in the history section with the part of the company called Tech Co. this part of the company was later absorbed into IS which confirms Nintendo do have direct influence as Tech Co. was created with their investment.

Fair enough

trunkswd said:
I've never played a Paper Mario game before, but I am intrigued with the new one. I'll probably wait until it is on sale before picking it up.

Yeah, i'm still waiting Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey to be on sale :D

trunkswd said:
bartkuz said:

Yeah, i'm still waiting Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey to be on sale :D

It is crazy how long Nintendo goes without dropping the price or at least putting their older games on sale. 

They use a different business model that's why.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
bartkuz said:

It is crazy how long Nintendo goes without dropping the price or at least putting their older games on sale. 

Ironically it's that very reason why I purchased a WiiU a few years back, it was the cheapest way to get into Breath of the Wild... But fast forward from 2017 to 2020 and it's still a $90 AUD game on Switch. That's nuts.
Usually prices on a game should lower for those who were holding out for a lower price.

I am absolutely loving the fact the console is region free though... I am importing games that I would not otherwise import on Xbox or Playstation or can't find outside of digital, it's been great.

I will leave Paper Mario for now, intend to buy Paper Mario Color Splash on Wii U and give it a play there first before I bother investing big with the Switch, many of these games I haven't actually played before, so don't want to invest full-price on something that I might not like/play or are just ports with a resolution bump.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

bartkuz said:
trunkswd said:
I've never played a Paper Mario game before, but I am intrigued with the new one. I'll probably wait until it is on sale before picking it up.

Here in Australia stores still want $50 for pre-owned Wii games like New Super Mario Bros Wii and Twilight Princess which are two generations and over a decade old, it's insane.

Vodacixi said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Opinions can and will change when new facts are learned, so there's no need to tell people not to have a negative opinion especially while you're not doing the same for positive ones.

Now I think it does need to be a Paper Mario game if it wants to use the name. There's already at least one post in this thread of someone saying they're interested in this game after playing the originals. Even I was fooled by Sticker Star, so I bet there's plenty more who will fall for this deception.

I'm just suggesting people (that's why I started with "I think we should...") that maybe 20 confusing seconds of footage in japanese is not enough to have a strong opinion about the battle system, for good or bad. Sure, you are free to think that its trash or a genious system, but with so little information on the topic... I don't know, it's seems like an opinion based on nothing to me. But if someone wants to approach it that way, good for them (I guess).

I myself have expressed my doubts about the battle system knowing how the previous two entries handled things. But since I still don't fully understand how the battles work in the Origami King, that's the only thing I can do: doubt.

Paper Mario has five different games, only two of which are actual RPGs. Maybe when they released Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star it was a controversial move, but nowadays, you guys have to accept that Paper Mario is not (or it doesn't have to be) an RPG series, nor you should expect or demand an RPG game. They aren't even promoting this as an RPG. So if they "fool" you now, you are the one to blame.

Finally, as I said before, this game doesn't need to have a battle system like TYD. It's not a matter of doing that or do something bad. And that was my whole point: people are talking like if the game will automatically be bad if it's not like the originals. No. That's not how things are. They have thousands (no pun intended) of options to create an interesting and fun battle system without it being like the originals or even an RPG at all. It can be a great game on its own right. You may not be interested in that approach, but that doesn't make it bad.

Tell v.s. suggested is just semantics. Otherwise my response is still the same, opinions can change so it's fine if people make them based on trailers, that is the point of trailers after all.

I'll accept it just as much as Miyamoto accepted Paper Mario being an RPG with interesting character designs, which is to say, not at all! The name comes with expectations. If you don't want those expectations, simply change the name, that's the most sensible option as it's entirely within their control. To instead expect fans to just accept that the original games don't matter isn't neither realistic nor within their power. I don't think they care though, taking advantage of the good will the original games garnered is more important to them than being honest. You're right it is ultimately the consumers fault whenever they're fooled for not doing enough research, but companys can still be responsible in part.

Your last paragraph is arguing against a point I never made, even if it "sounded like it" to you. Of course the game can still be good even if it's not a true successor to TTYD. However, the game bears resemblance to Sticker Star n Color Splash, so I don't think it'll be good even in a vacuum.

Well, I guess one of the benefits of it coming out in less than 2 months is that we won't have to wait long to find out more (and all) about it.

At the very least, having a new villain and Bowser and his minions seemingly allies is an improvement over the usual formula.

curl-6 said:
bartkuz said:

Here in Australia stores still want $50 for pre-owned Wii games like New Super Mario Bros Wii and Twilight Princess which are two generations and over a decade old, it's insane.

I still hope they release nintendo selects line like with 3ds, i got my switch late last year and just can't spend full price for 3 year old games.