Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Paper Mario: The Origami King announced for Switch!

I didn't mind Color Splash too much. it has its flaws that everyone will mention, but it was a fun game still. Please say the thing cards are dead though.

If we can get the world exploration and design, the humor/writing from color splash. With a good story and characters, I think we have a real winner with the game. While the combat system in color splash was flawed, I didn't hate it. I'm sure this game will have a much more improve means of combat.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network

The gap between Colour Splash and Origami King is actually closer to 4 years than 3.5; 7th October 2016 to 17th July 2020.
That's a long time for a game that doesn't require AAA production values or adapting to a generational leap in graphics.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

On the subject of Mario RPGs, I've been thinking that since Alpha Dream went bust, maybe Nintendo should make a sequel to the original Super Mario RPG? (i.e. without the Paper/Bros gimmick). I would've loved to see what Alpha Dream could've done with a concept like that, but .-.

Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:
Not really excited for this, not my kind of game, will probably pick up a copy when it's cheaper.
Nice to know those who love these titles will be getting something very soon though... Would have been better if Nintendo communicated about this title allot earlier though. :P

Oh you sweet, summer child. Nintendo games never go down in price! they're the Disney of games! 

I am aware. :P

Spindel said:

Not to jump at you, but why should they have announced it earlier?

Build hype.
Advertising that targets more people to drive sales.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Runa216 said:

Oh you sweet, summer child. Nintendo games never go down in price! they're the Disney of games! 

Spindel said:

Build hype.

At the same time, it doesn’t take much more time to hype something today. The way communication and social media works, something well marketed can generate more interest in a short period.

The time were we depended on monthly magazine to inform people is over 😂

Around the Network
abronn627 said:
Pemalite said:

Build hype.

At the same time, it doesn’t take much more time to hype something today. The way communication and social media works, something well marketed can generate more interest in a short period.

The time were we depended on monthly magazine to inform people is over 😂

Neh, disagree.

I like to know my games in advance so I can pre-order, mark on the calendar and so forth.

Different courses for horses.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:
Not really excited for this, not my kind of game, will probably pick up a copy when it's cheaper.
Nice to know those who love these titles will be getting something very soon though... Would have been better if Nintendo communicated about this title allot earlier though. :P

Unless you buy them second-hand. 

Pemalite said: 
Spindel said:

Build hype.

OK fair, I don’t share that sentiment probably because I’m still scarred by Duke Nuk’em.

Might be cool. I'd like to see some more gameplay before I decide whether I'll get it or not.

Also, I get that a lot of people want Paper Mario to go back to its RPG roots, but the people in this thread talking about the departure from most RPG elements being "failures", everyone hating them and that they don't understand why Nintendo would keep doing this... You know you're on a video game sales site, right? The answer is extremely easy to find. But here, let me show you.

I'd say we can allow some leeway for Color Splash here since it released on the fairly low install base of the Wii U and was also very close to thd Switch's launch, which is probably no small factor in it having the lowest sales.

The other two games that shifted away from the RPG formula (to some degree with Super, to full degree with Sticker Star) remain the top two selling games in the series.

I get that you prefer the two games, and I know a lot of people do. But preferring it and claiming that the games selling better are failures or that Nintendo are blind is just nonsense.

I personally agree that Sticker Star is by far the worst one (I can't speak for Colour Splash since I never played it), but Nintendo are going to go by what people tell them with their wallets.

I am currently sigless.

For those curious, here's attach rate as well (using the above figures), as I get the feeling this might come up in a discussion about sales:

The Thousand Year Door - 8.79
Colour Splash - 6.23
64 / Super - 4.16
Sticker Star - 2.46
Paper Jam - 1.40 (never considered this a Paper Mario game, but included it as the above post did)

Last edited by drbunnig - on 17 May 2020