Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal 5 Demo vs Series X Reveal

Which event got you more impressed?

Xbox Series X Gameplay Event 25 27.17%

Unreal Engine 5 PS5 Demo 67 72.83%

Total:92
Pemalite said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's just brutal.

Why is why I laugh every time someone says the PS5 SSD is superior to anything the PC has.

eva01beserk said:

I'm not sure pcie upgrades every year. Could be wrong.

Correct it doesn't. PCI-E 3.0 was unusually long in it's life cycle though.

PCI-E 5.0 is probably not that far away... And that will probably offer 128GB/s of bandwidth... For SSD's that typically top out at 4x PCI-E lanes that would be 32GB/s.

Yeah top end PCs will catch up pretty quickly, but in order to be considered by developers as min requirement it has to be mainstream. Long wait, mate.

Around the Network
black8jac said:
Hynad said:

The PS5 solution isn't a multi SSD setup, unlike the one you speak of. So I continue to question why you hardly ever give props to console makers/hardware when compared to PC.

Well, every PS5 has this insanely fast SSD. What percentage of PC gamers have multi SSDs in raid?

The percentage is probably very close to 0.

Pemalite said:

Why is why I laugh every time someone says the PS5 SSD is superior to anything the PC has.

Because you still haven't understood a single word about what Cerny was saying in his talk?

And stop posting nonsensical ssd "comparisons". Are you really that dumb to try and "prove" that a mammoth ssd raid system outperforms to a $100 console ssd"? Seriously? Who would have thought..........

drkohler said:
Pemalite said:

Because you still haven't understood a single word about what Cerny was saying in his talk?

And stop posting nonsensical ssd "comparisons". Are you really that dumb to try and "prove" that a mammoth ssd raid system outperforms to a $100 console ssd"? Seriously? Who would have thought..........

Well, he seems to have forgotten why he's in this thread.

Hynad said:
Pemalite said:

The PS5 solution isn't a multi SSD setup, unlike the one you speak of. So I continue to question why you hardly ever give props to console makers/hardware when compared to PC.

SSD's by their very design utilize a group of smaller drives/memory chips. Memory transactions are parallel in nature.
This just takes it one step further... And proves that the PC still has the absolute edge in terms of SSD performance over consoles, if you are willing to pay for it that is.

And I have praised the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5's SSD's on multiple occasions on this forum.
I have praised both consoles on their solid hardware choices, that they are both solid pieces of hardware kit, perhaps you have only chosen to read what you wanted to read?

It's also no secret that I am a PC gamer first and foremost and I have absolutely no bias towards any console platform as at the end of the day, they are all just PC's anyway.

black8jac said:

Well, every PS5 has this insanely fast SSD. What percentage of PC gamers have multi SSDs in raid?

Who knows? And not the point I was making.

black8jac said:

Yeah top end PCs will catch up pretty quickly, but in order to be considered by developers as min requirement it has to be mainstream. Long wait, mate.

Top-end PC's already beat the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X... And the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X hasn't even released onto the market yet.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
drkohler said:
Pemalite said:

I am going to give you a warning here. Don't call other users "dumb". - That is blatant flaming, I am sure you are well versed in this forums rules by now, you should absolutely know better.

But to answer your question, people are suggesting the PS5's SSD is the fastest thing since sliced bread. - And I have proven that to be blatantly false, you can certainly go faster, if you pay for it.

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

SSD's by their very design utilize a group of smaller drives/memory chips. Memory transactions are parallel in nature.
This just takes it one step further... And proves that the PC still has the absolute edge in terms of SSD performance over consoles, if you are willing to pay for it that is.

And I have praised the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5's SSD's on multiple occasions on this forum.
I have praised both consoles on their solid hardware choices, that they are both solid pieces of hardware kit, perhaps you have only chosen to read what you wanted to read?

It's also no secret that I am a PC gamer first and foremost and I have absolutely no bias towards any console platform as at the end of the day, they are all just PC's anyway.

I said when compared to PC. The SSD solution in the PS5 is unlike anything currently available for PC. But you can't admit it and say you laugh at people who think that it's better than what's on PC. You have to bring a RAID setup to make PC look better, when the case is about one to one comparison, and I'm sure you know that. Yet here you are saying you laugh at people...

You always do that. You always bring up the argument that if you throw 10k on a rig, you can trump anything. Well, no shit. That doesn't make PC SSDs better than what the PS5 brings to the table. It's like if, for example, a GPU in whatever console is better than anything currently on the market, but you'd say the best PC GPU is better because you can put two or more [of those weaker GPUs] together to beat that one GPU. It's completely disingenuous.

Hynad said:

I said when compared to PC. The SSD solution in the PS5 is unlike anything currently available for PC.

But the same argument can be leveraged the other way... That a RAID SSD array is unlike anything currently in a console.

Hynad said:

But you can't admit it and say you laugh at people who think that it's better than what's on PC. You have to bring a RAID setup to make PC look better, when the case is about one to one comparison, and I'm sure you know that. Yet here you are saying you laugh at people...

I laugh when people assert something as definitively as the *best* option on the market.

The PC is technically better if you want storage that is faster than the Playstation 5.
The PC is technically better if you want *more* storage from a single drive than the Playstation 5. (You aren't limited to only 825GB.)

So yes, I will laugh at people when they say that the 5.5GB/s of uncompressed bandwidth will beat anything the PC has to offer, because they hear a console manufacturer say so, because they couldn't possibly have a conflict of interest to sell hardware would they?

Hynad said:

You always do that. You always bring up the argument that if you throw 10k on a rig, you can trump anything. Well, no shit. That doesn't make PC SSDs better than what the PS5 brings to the table. It's like if, for example, a GPU in whatever console is better than anything currently on the market, but you'd say the best PC GPU is better because you can put two or more [of those weaker GPUs] together to beat that one GPU. It's completely disingenuous.

It's actually not.
You forget that an SSD functions on the bases that it takes lots of smaller memory chips and makes them "work together" in order to increase transfer rates... Very much the same concept as taking four SSD's and throwing them into RAID.

Taking four Phison PCI-E 4.0 SSD's and throwing them in raid will beat the Playstation 5's SSD by orders of magnitude. Fact.

Taking two GPU's that are identical to the Playstation 5's GPU and putting them into crossfire will result in superior performance. Fact.

If price is not a factor, like I have mentioned prior... The PC is technically superior. Fact.

That doesn't make it disingenuous, I have been *very* transparent that if price isn't a factor, then PC SSD's in RAID will beat the Playstation 5's SSD, price however is an entirely different discussion and in a black and white comparison, consoles certainly have the edge.

Those are the facts, that isn't being disingenuous, I am being upfront and honest.

Pemalite said:
Leynos said:
To be fair PS3 and 360 were better than Gaming PCs of the era in some ways like the multicore CPU and such. They were still pretty good in 2007/8. It does seem PS5/XSX feel the closest to a big leap like 360/PS3 even if it's only the SSD.

Then why did PC's always held the graphical edge for the entire 7th gen if that was the case?

Even in 2006 when Oblivion came out and showcased what the Xbox 360 could do, it still looked and ran better on PC.

PC games are always that "step up" over console games.

When console gamers were gaming on the Playstation 2, PC gamers were using Tessellation in games... A hardware feature that wouldn't be standard until the Playstation 4 came out.
And you think the consoles were better than a gaming PC? Common.

Totally agree. BF3 was basically a different game on pc compared to the ps3/360 versions when those consoles just came out. Historically speaking, consoles have always been outdated the moment they launched compared to a main stream pc of that time. However, even you have to agree that's not looking to be the case next gen. This is the first time ever that consoles launch that are on par, and in case with the SSD, even exceed high end gaming pc's. 

Lets be real here, a 4x SSD raid set up isn't exactly main stream on pc and will probably cost more than the ps5 and Series X combined. This time around I'm guessing it will take some time before we'll see next gen console-like-specs become mainstream on pc, depending on the prices of Nvidia and AMD's new gpu's and next gen 1TB SSD's. 

Regarding the Unreal demo. Didn't Epic say that that specific demo requires at least a 5,5GB/s SSD to run at that same quality level? Obviously, Unreal 5 is a multi platform engine that'll scale all the way down to mobiles. However, it's also optimized for next gen storage and unless Epic is lying, it does sound that that particular demo couldn't run on anything but the ps5 at this time. Apparently, Epic has been working closely with Sony when they were designing Unreal 5.

"We’ve been working super close with Sony for quite a long time on storage. The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on anything on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs. [The PC market is] going to see this thing ship and say, ‘Oh wow, SSDs are going to need to catch up with this.’

The key factor is not the speed or size of the drive, but the custom way in which Sony has engineered the drive to access data and assign priorities. Epic Games has been developing Unreal Engine 5 alongside the development of the PlayStation 5 and its SSD, working closely with Sony to optimize its next-gen engine not just in theory, but in practice on the hardware it will be running games on. The result is the PS5 gameplay tech demo we were able to see earlier today, an impressive—if aspirational—showcase of what’s possible when developers lean into these features."

Pemalite said:
Hynad said:

I said when compared to PC. The SSD solution in the PS5 is unlike anything currently available for PC.

But the same argument can be leveraged the other way... That a RAID SSD array is unlike anything currently in a console.

Hynad said:

But you can't admit it and say you laugh at people who think that it's better than what's on PC. You have to bring a RAID setup to make PC look better, when the case is about one to one comparison, and I'm sure you know that. Yet here you are saying you laugh at people...

I laugh when people assert something as definitively as the *best* option on the market.

The PC is technically better if you want storage that is faster than the Playstation 5.
The PC is technically better if you want *more* storage from a single drive than the Playstation 5. (You aren't limited to only 825GB.)

So yes, I will laugh at people when they say that the 5.5GB/s of uncompressed bandwidth will beat anything the PC has to offer, because they hear a console manufacturer say so, because they couldn't possibly have a conflict of interest to sell hardware would they?

Hynad said:

It's actually not.
You forget that an SSD functions on the bases that it takes lots of smaller memory chips and makes them "work together" in order to increase transfer rates... Very much the same concept as taking four SSD's and throwing them into RAID.

Taking four Phison PCI-E 4.0 SSD's and throwing them in raid will beat the Playstation 5's SSD by orders of magnitude. Fact.

Taking two GPU's that are identical to the Playstation 5's GPU and putting them into crossfire will result in superior performance. Fact.

If price is not a factor, like I have mentioned prior... The PC is technically superior. Fact.

That doesn't make it disingenuous, I have been *very* transparent that if price isn't a factor, then PC SSD's in RAID will beat the Playstation 5's SSD, price however is an entirely different discussion and in a black and white comparison, consoles certainly have the edge.

Those are the facts, that isn't being disingenuous, I am being upfront and honest.

What is it about 1-1 comparison that you don't understand?

You keep doing it.

And you laugh whenever PC can't be the end all of everything for any reason. Compare the single SSD solution of the PS5 to a single SSD solution in PCs, instead of being disingenuous.