Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

People say a lot of things so I wouldn't take their word on anything until the games actually come out...

The one key thing I would remember when it comes to third party games is that rarely will they build their engines around the highest performing feature on the market... If they build their engine so that it only performs well on PS5's SSD or Series X's GPU or AMD's 64 core threadripper cpu, then they alienate the rest of the market. Majority of the third party games will use the most common spec cause that will be good enough for all platforms while adding some advantages to specific platforms.

With that being said though. PS5's SSD is indeed super fast and MS does have DirectStorage API for PC and Xbox as well as Nvidia is rumoured to have Tensor Memory Compression so we will see how it goes. I wouldn't underestimate PC's capabilities though...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network

why do i wanna use the words secret sauce?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:

People say a lot of things so I wouldn't take their word on anything until the games actually come out...

With that being said though. PS5's SSD is indeed super fast and MS does have DirectStorage API for PC and Xbox as well as Nvidia is rumoured to have Tensor Memory Compression so we will see how it goes. I wouldn't underestimate PC's capabilities though...

PC isn't really being underestimated here, because it does not have the SSDs ready to go toe-to-toe with the one in the PS5. On top of that, it's more a matter of I/O than even SSD speed. A lot of what is being said is not just fluff to bat chests. These changes are real.

The best example will be in something like a Spider-Man game. See those benches repeated in the game (where they are stored in a folder with that many files in it)? Next gen, it will be one bench stored and the many, many others instanced around the city (keeping folder sizes down and access to the data much faster). That is what is going to make these particular advances in the new machines so important.

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

PC isn't really being underestimated here, because it does not have the SSDs ready to go toe-to-toe with the one in the PS5. On top of that, it's more a matter of I/O than even SSD speed. A lot of what is being said is not just fluff to bat chests. These changes are real.

The best example will be in something like a Spider-Man game. See those benches repeated in the game (where they are stored in a folder with that many files in it)? Next gen, it will be one bench stored and the many, many others instanced around the city (keeping folder sizes down and access to the data much faster). That is what is going to make these particular advances in the new machines so important.

I am not saying the changes aren't real. I am sure games will see a huge improvements in game design and etc when moving from hard drives to SSDs. What I am suggesting is that majority of the 3rd party games will not require Ps5's SSD and will work just fine with Series X and a lot of PC's Nvme SSDs, specially with things like DirectStorage API and the rumoured Tensor Memory Compression from Nvidia. Because if it did need PS5's SSDs, then they wouldn't get any sales from Series X or PC which is silly at best... First party games, yea, they can make use of the SSD no doubt...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Captain_Yuri said:
CGI-Quality said:

I am not saying the changes aren't real. I am sure games will see a huge improvements in game design and etc when moving from hard drives to SSDs. What I am suggesting is that majority of the 3rd party games will not require Ps5's SSD and will work just fine with Series X and a lot of PC's Nvme SSDs, specially with things like DirectStorage API and the rumoured Tensor Memory Compression from Nvidia. Because if it did need PS5's SSDs, then they wouldn't get any sales from Series X or PC which is silly at best... First party games, yea, they can make use of the SSD no doubt...

It isn't a matter of a requirement for function, but for real change, yes, these SSDs will be necessary. People don't really understand — developers have been asking for this for more than a generation. No one said that only the PS5's SSD can take advantage of the engine (or any engine, for that matter). That would obviously be a misinformed suggestion given what is coming to PC in the next few years. Rather that it will be better at doing so given its advantage. 

Unless everyone wants just another generation, for more things on screen, better physics, AI, efficient use of raytracing and fuller worlds...

.....then said SSDs will be essential to that move forward.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 04 June 2020

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Yuri said:

It isn't a matter of a requirement for function, but for real change, yes, these SSDs will be necessary. People don't really understand — developers have been asking for this for more than a generation. No one said that only the PS5's SSD can take advantage of the engine (or any engine, for that matter). That would obviously be a misinformed suggestion given what is coming to PC in the next few years. Rather that it will be better at doing so given its advantage. 

Unless everyone wants just another generation, for more things on screen, better physics, AI, efficient use of raytracing and fuller worlds...

.....then said SSDs will be essential to that move forward.

I suppose I should have specified by saying... Majority of 3rd party who will use UE5...

And yea, I do agree we will see the benefits of SSDs come into play and third parties using them since Hard Drives really have been a bottleneck for a while now. We will see how the difference in SSD plays out though since I have my doubts due to the GPU capabilities.

Last edited by Captain_Yuri - on 04 June 2020

Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think it's silly that a dev would go PS5 only. 

We've seen it happen countless times this gen, and I'm sure it'll continue into next. That said, there is definitely a difference between building you game to require the PS5 SSD to actually function, and using the PS5 SSD to just enhance the overall experience.

The latter could very easily happen with a lot of multiplatform games without requiring a lot of effort on the devs part. But I stress 'could' because of course I don't actually know how devs are finding development atm. 

I doubt early 3rd party multiplats will make good use of PS5's Ultra Instinct I/O until developers rewrite the innards of their engines in a similar fashion to what Epic is doing with UE5. Only then will I expect PS5 versions of multiplats to noticeably exceed their XSX counterparts in some areas.

Exclusives is a whole other story though 😏

Last edited by Kyuu - on 08 June 2020

twintail said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think it's silly that a dev would go PS5 only. 

We've seen it happen countless times this gen, and I'm sure it'll continue into next. That said, there is definitely a difference between building you game to require the PS5 SSD to actually function, and using the PS5 SSD to just enhance the overall experience.

The latter could very easily happen with a lot of multiplatform games without requiring a lot of effort on the devs part. But I stress 'could' because of course I don't actually know how devs are finding development atm. 

I would like to see a list of how many since I am curious. Usually it's either Ps4 and Xbox exclusive or Ps4 and PC exclusive or maybe even Ps4 and Switch exclusive. And sometimes, it's ps4 timed exclusive which then eventually gets ported.

And yea, we will see how it goes. I have a feeling that while the SSD is gonna be a game changer in game design and etc, the GPU's capabilities specially at high resolutions will put a limit to it's usefulness outside of first party games. Could be wrong though of course since it's all speculation.

Last edited by Captain_Yuri - on 05 June 2020