By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dream of Nintendo b-side franchise games

Random thought, obviously it won't happen, but just fantasizing here, how cool would it be if Nintendo had an internal indie-like team that got to experiment making what I would call "b-side" versions of their main franchises.

Basically an internal team that got to go outside what is normally expected in Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc and got to basically come at them from an indie-like perspective where they play with gameplay elements and mechanics and focus more on innovation instead of sticking to series traditions. Of course we have recent examples like Odyssey and BotW which did really change things up by exploring interesting new mechanics or genres, but I'd love to see an indie treatment of Nintendo's major games. One actual real world example that happened would be how Nintendo let the crypt of the necromancer team make cadence of hyrule.

I'd love to see a super hard (think Celeste, Super Meat Boy) Mario game with some totally unexpected art style, or a story driven gritty zelda game where Link is part of the Hyrulian army engaged in war against Ganon's forces and you have to turn the tide of the war in big battle set pieces and solo missions. Or you know, something even more interesting than that stuff that I can't even come up with.

Anyone think that would be cool? In addition to getting the normal AAA Nintendo franchise games there was a team making indie-like "b-side" versions of those series as well.

Around the Network

You basically described what I want to see from a modern 2D Metroid lol. Samus Returns was great, but I'd love something in the style of AM2R.

RolStoppable said:
My dream is a consistent A-side. It has happened way too often that Nintendo has gone out of their way to either change IPs for the worse or take them in a different direction.

Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are actually not experiments, but returns to the origins of the respective series with modern execution (Super Mario 64 for Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda for Breath of the Wild).

Well if every game in their series had been like Mario 64 and BOTW, then there wouldn't be anything special about Odyssey and BOTW.

They might not always change for the best, but the fact that they change is important imo.

Im burned out on games like Gears Of War and Uncharted because they feel the same. They are quality games, but its just one note.

KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:
My dream is a consistent A-side. It has happened way too often that Nintendo has gone out of their way to either change IPs for the worse or take them in a different direction.

Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are actually not experiments, but returns to the origins of the respective series with modern execution (Super Mario 64 for Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda for Breath of the Wild).

Well if every game in their series had been like Mario 64 and BOTW, then there wouldn't be anything special about Odyssey and BOTW.

They might not always change for the best, but the fact that they change is important imo.

Im burned out on games like Gears Of War and Uncharted because they feel the same. They are quality games, but its just one note.

Well said. Just like if we get another 4 open world Zelda's we all might feel totally burnt out on that by then and want a change. BotW absolutely was an experiment because an open world 3D Zelda was something entirely new for the franchise, and the 2D games of old are not comparable really to an open world 3D game.

And for Odyssey I wasn't talking about the large open levels like 64, I was talking about the experiment of the main mechanic of the game which was controlling baddies, that was a novel experience for a Mario game.

I think Nintendo gives a pretty dang consistent A-side. Occasionally there is a mis-fire where a game is maybe only good instead of incredible, but you can't expect every single major franchise Nintendo game to be an unforgettable GotY experience.

They've got their A-side handled well and always have, I'm talking about an experimental team that isn't held back at all really by the traditions of the franchise and is free to try stuff. Indies have brought a lot of interesting ideas to the table this past decade or so and it'd be cool to see some Nintendo franchises do side games that also experiment like that.

There is no denying that Nintendo can make some fun spinoff games like Mario Kart and Smash.  In spite of all that I would prefer they just make brand new types of games instead of spinoffs.  That is what I personally enjoy.  I understand the business reality of using established IP, so I don't complain too much about their main games just being the next iteration.  That doesn't change the fact that I like them to try all new stuff.  Even if it's a small game like Good Job at least they are injecting some pure novelty into gaming.

It seems like Nintendo's current business model is refine their established IP, and at the same type make new types of games that aren't some amazing overnight success.  They can make a game like Splatoon and if there is excitement behind it, then they'll keep refining it even if a platform like the Wii U buried it's potential.  They kept refining Animal Crossing and now it's performing at surprising levels.  Stuff like that.  I personally think they are going to keep refining Xenoblade Chronicles because they want to have a Final Fantasy 7 type of smash success eventually.  So to make games like this, they need to start new IP, and then they keep at it as long as their is an enthusiastic base.  Eventually these games turn into top IP like is happening on the Switch.

Around the Network

You mean spinoffs?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Don't they do that alot? Like... Mario Kart and Mario Party, or Pokken or Hyrule Warriors? Super Mario RPG or Paper Mario? Kind of seems like the exact thing you're talking about. Haven't seen that many of those recently, but that's because they tend to come more at the end of the generation after the main entries have been done.