By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Major Switch Titles Launch Aligned - December 2023 Update

Alright updated the charts for the June report now. TotK has been added and though it might not look so impressive yet on the massive chart it's currently ahead of every Switch game launch aligned except for Scarlet and Violet. I've also decided to move New Super Mario Bros U up into the heavyweights as it was hard to argue it was still just a middleweight with the legs it has had. It seems quite at home there and is actually slowly catching up to Super Mario Party. At the same time I've moved Splatoon 3 down to the middleweights where it seems to fit in well for now with sales pretty similar to Pokémon Let's Go.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

Updated for the September report. Things of note:

• Suprisingly Tears of the Kingdom actually had a smaller second quarter than the mainline Pokémon games (Sword and Shield, Scarlet and Violet), not a trend I see continuing in the third quarter though with the holiday quarter coming up. Unsuprisingly it has also fallen behind Animal Crossing launch aligned.
  • Nintendo Switch Sports continues to sell well and will probably overtake the Pokémon Let's Go games launch aligned sooner or later.
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury actually shipped the same amount as Odyssey in the last two quarters (probably thanks to the Mario Movie). It might have a shot at reaching 15m
  • After 70+ months it's impressive how close Breath of the Wild and MK8 sales are to straight lines, with the former only bending slighly with time and the latter with its obvious tickups at every holiday.

Thanks for keeping this updated! It’s cool to see, at a glance, how all these games are doing compared to each other.

Small update since we got numbers on Kirby and the Forgotten Land which has shipped half a million since March. It's slowing down significantly but is still slightly ahead of Super Mario Maker 2.

Thanks for keeping up the charts, it's always a delight to look at those graphs. Also to explain TOTK weird Q2, Nintendo did say it had a pretty good sell-through rate, it's the overall shipping that was too heavy front-loaded in the first quarter that lead to this.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Updated for the December report. I've added Wonder in the Heavyweights since the Top Dog chart is fairly full and at the moment it doesn't seem likely to reach quite the same range as those games. It's off to a great start among the Heavyweights though and should probably overtake Arceus and the Gemstone pair launch aligned next quarter.

In other news Nintendo Switch Sports has overtaken Pokémon Pikachu and Eevee  as the top launch aligned game in the Middleweight chart and Luigi's Mansion 3 refuses to stop selling keeping an excellent pace that should probably let it pass 15m lifetime. Pretty incredible for a series that had sold less than 10m combined before 3.

Has BOTW outsold TOTK last quarter?

haxxiy said:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.61M (+460K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.28M (+780K)

BOTW sold 460k, ToTK sold 780k.

Of course it should be apparent now that ToTK is never getting close to BOTW in sales.

Zippy6 said:
haxxiy said:

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 31.61M (+460K)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 20.28M (+780K)

BOTW sold 460k, ToTK sold 780k.

Of course it should be apparent now that ToTK is never getting close to BOTW in sales.

Seems not a very hot quarter for Zelda overall. Probably the amount of intra-first-party competition these days doesn't help.