By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Presents First Look At Xbox Series X Gameplay" - Let's Rate Inside Xbox Show

Tagged games:

Rate the shows

Legendary 3 2.97%

Amaizing 6 5.94%

Great 5 4.95%

It's OK 38 37.62%

It's bad 49 48.51%

Total:101
dane007 said:
setsunatenshi said:

:O

ok, i thought i was kind of joking about getting it as a prize but apparently that was the case indeed. yeah those monitors are extremely expensive, so you definitely need to invest some serious cash to make use of them. turns out even the games shown will not be aiming at 4k, 120Hz and ray tracing... assassins creed isn't even 4k 60 now

btw friendly advice, don't buy titan cards for gaming, that's not what they are for. wait for ampere if you're deadset on staying nvidia and wait for the 3080 or 3080 ti if you really want to go all in

Lol I know. I was shocked when I received it 😂. I remember few years back they gave me a brand new note 3 phone as a prize 😂. Yea they are not cheap. The only game to target 120hz is dirt 5 atm. Ac will never have 120hz unless u have cgi pc lol. 

Ah okay. I was thinking of titan card because of its graphics ram.  Titan cards usually have the highest amount. I know Ray trace is a memory hog and to have all the bells and whiste u need a beefy card. 4gb card these days are not enough lol.

Thanks for the advice. Will wait for that. Been following the pc threads on here when I am not logged in lol. Hopefully by then Ray tracing becomes the norm and it won't be such a memory hog. I want my pc to make a big enough jump to last another 5 to 6 years at least lol. 

There are rumors going around that new RDNA architecture could make use of some of the new gen console features and incorporate some type of ssd for quick loading, like the PS5 is supposed to do. Yeah, an ssd on the gpu o.0... I'd definitely wait it out till the end of the year and see what comes to fruition because that could be a game changer.

I was super curious to actually see the gameplay on the XSX, to see if there was any indication of the fast streaming of assets. A big part of my disappointment came from the disclaimer of the games running on hardware that was "representing target xsx performance". I'm really eager to see anything run on the actual machines.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
dane007 said:

Lol I know. I was shocked when I received it 😂. I remember few years back they gave me a brand new note 3 phone as a prize 😂. Yea they are not cheap. The only game to target 120hz is dirt 5 atm. Ac will never have 120hz unless u have cgi pc lol. 

Ah okay. I was thinking of titan card because of its graphics ram.  Titan cards usually have the highest amount. I know Ray trace is a memory hog and to have all the bells and whiste u need a beefy card. 4gb card these days are not enough lol.

Thanks for the advice. Will wait for that. Been following the pc threads on here when I am not logged in lol. Hopefully by then Ray tracing becomes the norm and it won't be such a memory hog. I want my pc to make a big enough jump to last another 5 to 6 years at least lol. 

There are rumors going around that new RDNA architecture could make use of some of the new gen console features and incorporate some type of ssd for quick loading, like the PS5 is supposed to do. Yeah, an ssd on the gpu o.0... I'd definitely wait it out till the end of the year and see what comes to fruition because that could be a game changer.

I was super curious to actually see the gameplay on the XSX, to see if there was any indication of the fast streaming of assets. A big part of my disappointment came from the disclaimer of the games running on hardware that was "representing target xsx performance". I'm really eager to see anything run on the actual machines.

NAND on the GPU is not new, it's actually been done before, it will not speed up load times, the PCI-E bus isn't the bottleneck, nor are SSD's a replacement for RAM anyway, they are far to slow and high latency for that.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-ssg

It doesn't provide optimal gaming experiences, it's fantastic for datasets that extend towards multiple terabytes though, so it's usefulness was only limited to professionals.

The consoles are using RDNA 2. The PC's RDNA 2 will architecturally be a match.
There was a rumor awhile ago that the next-gen consoles were using RDNA 1 chips with features like Ray Tracing taken from RDNA 2 chips, whether that holds any accuracy remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
setsunatenshi said:

NAND on the GPU is not new, it's actually been done before, it will not speed up load times, the PCI-E bus isn't the bottleneck, nor are SSD's a replacement for RAM anyway, they are far to slow and high latency for that.

It doesn't provide optimal gaming experiences, it's fantastic for datasets that extend towards multiple terabytes though, so it's usefulness was only limited to professionals.

There was a rumor awhile ago that the next-gen consoles were using RDNA 1 chips with features like Ray Tracing taken from RDNA 2 chips, whether that holds any accuracy remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

The rumor I'm talking about refers to incorporating the same sort of ssd solution found in the PS5, with, say a 250GB ssd that would hold the game you're about to play straight in the gpu's nand. So in this case, yes, it would surely improve load times on traditional games, but better yet, would assure the sort of games that are designted to take advantage of ultra fast ssds would be able to run on a PC with a compatible gpu. Basically, would assure anyone playing the game has the fast access to game's assets you would see in the next gen consoles.

Heard that speculation from Moore's Law Is Dead not long ago and he made a really good case for it.

I'll link you below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKJ9amSDIE0

It was a shit show but at laast there will be more next month.

setsunatenshi said:
dane007 said:

That would amazing to have in a pc. Probably won't cheap 🤣. It will be interesting to see the benefits it would have in gaming. 

I was hoping to see that. I thought Ac vahalla would be the best showcase the capabilities of the ssd due to sheer size of their open world. I think after this ms will prepare something to make up the inside xbox event that just happened. 

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
It was a shit show but at laast there will be more next month.

According to Ms next month event is just about the machine unless that changed due to what just happened on their first show. 

More details on medium! It will support 4k, Ray tracing and no loading times! Which is amazing. Article before for your reference

https://gamerant.com/the-medium-xbox-series-x-4k-loading/?utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=GR-FB-P&utm_campaign=GR-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR2krXZdzOqPBnJprh2YgZPrmgy9GYlICrPBys0maLKFM9zC3KZCdWzvMMg

setsunatenshi said:
Pemalite said:

The rumor I'm talking about refers to incorporating the same sort of ssd solution found in the PS5, with, say a 250GB ssd that would hold the game you're about to play straight in the gpu's nand. So in this case, yes, it would surely improve load times on traditional games, but better yet, would assure the sort of games that are designted to take advantage of ultra fast ssds would be able to run on a PC with a compatible gpu. Basically, would assure anyone playing the game has the fast access to game's assets you would see in the next gen consoles.

Heard that speculation from Moore's Law Is Dead not long ago and he made a really good case for it.

I'll link you below:

The PCI-E bus is again not the bottleneck, so the link between the GPU and SSD isn't holding anything back, thus moving the SSD from the motherboards NVME slot to the GPU will not improve load times at all.

A PCI-E 4.0 bus offers 2GB/s of bandwidth per lane with a 4x lane SSD that is 8GB/s, most NVME drives, the Playstation 5 included falls below that bandwidth threshold.

Plus while your idea seems "nice" we need to remember that not all of a games data gets sent to the GPU, only some of the data, the rest gets sent to System memory where the CPU also needs to perform some tasks.

Moores Law is a youtube outlet, he is sharing opinions and nothing more, take his views with a grain of salt unless the appropriate citations have been provided, peoples desire to use youtube videos to backup their arguments is rather comical...
There is literally a video that backs up any argument on there, including the Earth being flat, don't take youtube videos as gospel, stick to verified sources with the appropriate citations.

Remember, the PC has had GPU's with built-in SSD's before, the improvements you speak of never happened as an SSD is slow and high latency compared to RAM... So whilst SSD's may be matching some DDR2 memory setups in sheer bandwidth, SSD's fall on their face when it comes to latency which impacts performance in latency sensitive tasks. (Not to mention that DDR2 is comparatively slow compared to high-speed DDR4 and GDDR6.)

It's good for some data sets like simulations with giant multi-terabyte spreadsheets where latency and bandwidth isn't an issue, but for gaming? Not so much.

The other issue is how fast the PC space moves... A 5.5GB/s SSD may seem "cutting edge" today, but tomorrow? Might seem antiquated.
Integrating an SSD onto a GPU essentially ties the cost of the SSD to a GPU... And I don't know about you, but I would assume most PC gamers upgrade their graphics more often than the SSD, it's an unnecessary cost that compounds peoples upgrade cycles.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
setsunatenshi said:

I'll link you below:

The PCI-E bus is again not the bottleneck, so the link between the GPU and SSD isn't holding anything back, thus moving the SSD from the motherboards NVME slot to the GPU will not improve load times at all.

A PCI-E 4.0 bus offers 2GB/s of bandwidth per lane with a 4x lane SSD that is 8GB/s, most NVME drives, the Playstation 5 included falls below that bandwidth threshold.

Plus while your idea seems "nice" we need to remember that not all of a games data gets sent to the GPU, only some of the data, the rest gets sent to System memory where the CPU also needs to perform some tasks.

Moores Law is a youtube outlet, he is sharing opinions and nothing more, take his views with a grain of salt unless the appropriate citations have been provided, peoples desire to use youtube videos to backup their arguments is rather comical...
There is literally a video that backs up any argument on there, including the Earth being flat, don't take youtube videos as gospel, stick to verified sources with the appropriate citations.

Remember, the PC has had GPU's with built-in SSD's before, the improvements you speak of never happened as an SSD is slow and high latency compared to RAM... So whilst SSD's may be matching some DDR2 memory setups in sheer bandwidth, SSD's fall on their face when it comes to latency which impacts performance in latency sensitive tasks. (Not to mention that DDR2 is comparatively slow compared to high-speed DDR4 and GDDR6.)

It's good for some data sets like simulations with giant multi-terabyte spreadsheets where latency and bandwidth isn't an issue, but for gaming? Not so much.

The other issue is how fast the PC space moves... A 5.5GB/s SSD may seem "cutting edge" today, but tomorrow? Might seem antiquated.
Integrating an SSD onto a GPU essentially ties the cost of the SSD to a GPU... And I don't know about you, but I would assume most PC gamers upgrade their graphics more often than the SSD, it's an unnecessary cost that compounds peoples upgrade cycles.

I get all that, and obviously in an ideal world we would all have ditched hdds a long time ago. The main benefit I'm mentioning here is that by including the nand in the gpu, you're assuring games can be created under the assumption all users will have a ultra fast ssd to run the game from and not have to design them for hdd and sata as the lowest common denominator. Can we mention the smaller download sizes due to not having to multiply assets for faster reading in slow hdds? 

On the cost side, have you seen the prices of gpus in the last few years? the additional cost would be meaningless if we look to add simple 120 / 250 gb. Just got a 1TB m.2 drive a few months back for around $100, and this was at retail. That's $25 per 250gb. How costly would it be for nvidia/amd to buy bulk? $10 to $15? What's $10 to $15 on a gpu that costs north of $500 ($1000 for a high end one)?

Like I said before, this is purely going by rumors, so obviously we'll need to wait and see. However he did make a good case for it and we can be pretty sure guaranteeing SSD as lowest common denominator will be a game changer. There's no way the pc market won't adapt and miss out on what next gen has to offer.

Pemalite said:

The other issue is how fast the PC space moves... A 5.5GB/s SSD may seem "cutting edge" today, but tomorrow?

5.5GByte/s for a 12 lane ssd is by no means "cutting edge". Sony's ssd could go much, much faster.

However, speed comes with a price. In this case, it's a heat issue. Really fast ssds need really big heat dissipation. Since everything else in the PS5 is already generating enough heat, Cerny very likely went with a slower, but "heat resistant" solution.