By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - INTERVIEW: MICROSOFT'S CONSOLE WAR

Naraku_Diabolos said:
Lawls, graduating up from the Wii experience to the X360. My ass. Regular people, non-gamers, don't give a flipping damn on shooters and racers. I know I don't. The only game I would want to get an X360 for is Banjo-Kazooie 3, if it IS good, that is. X360 and PS3 don't have any games that interest me, except for Banjo-Kazooie 3 or FFXIII, and that's about it. Oh, and all of the 'big named games' this year from Microsoft and Sony don't interest me one bit. They all stink in my opinion (yeah, including GTAIV; I hate stupid and immature violence).

Oddly enough I feel nearly the exact opposite way. Where you see one game on each of the 360 and PS3 that might interest you I see none on the Wii. Maybe they really are competing for completely different audiences. In the past I picked up a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4 and a N64 for Goldeneye, luckily for me there's no such game for me on the Wii so far and judging by the more casual push the Wii is getting than the N64 and GC ever saw there likely won't be.

Around the Network
Dno said:
SleepWaking said:
Dno said:
lol you dont no a good game when you see one.... but i bet you your fav movie has no immature Violence.....must be a very boring movie......

So only when something has immature Violence it is interesting??? I don't think you should talk about preferences.

Not at all. He said MGS4 and GTA4 some of the BEST games ever was wack because you can kill people. when both have awesome graphics, story, gameplay,replay vaule (even before the online was added) and some of the most talented people working on them.

I just used movies as an example of how jaded the remark He said was. (because i no for a fact his fav movie has a little shooting in it.) if you dont like the games thats fine but dont call them stupid because you can kill people thats not what the complete games are about its only one small part of a wonderful game that both WILL turn out to be.

I'm glad you've played MGS4 and GTA4 already and can provide us with some insights into their story, gameplay, replayability, etc...  Please go on, and tell me where I can get my copies aleady.

De85 said:
Dno said:
SleepWaking said:
Dno said:
lol you dont no a good game when you see one.... but i bet you your fav movie has no immature Violence.....must be a very boring movie......

So only when something has immature Violence it is interesting??? I don't think you should talk about preferences.

Not at all. He said MGS4 and GTA4 some of the BEST games ever was wack because you can kill people. when both have awesome graphics, story, gameplay,replay vaule (even before the online was added) and some of the most talented people working on them.

I just used movies as an example of how jaded the remark He said was. (because i no for a fact his fav movie has a little shooting in it.) if you dont like the games thats fine but dont call them stupid because you can kill people thats not what the complete games are about its only one small part of a wonderful game that both WILL turn out to be.

I'm glad you've played MGS4 and GTA4 already and can provide us with some insights into their story, gameplay, replayability, etc...  Please go on, and tell me where I can get my copies aleady.

I was of course talking about past series, expections, and the dozens of previews ive seen and so should you. If MGS4 or GTV4 gets lower then a 85% or 90% then ill give you money.

GTA and MGS you actaully think will not be good? your a fool.

CaptainPrefrences said:
Goddbless said:
I believe they have won the core audience in NA. Now they need to win them over in the EU.

They cant win Europe. Sony is dominationg there and its never going to stop. Thats why 360 is going to be dead very soon because all they have is North America, but then theres gta iv and mgs4.

How is 360 doing well in us anyway? Did you guys see the numbers for the last 2 weeks?

Most of this is spin. However I want to see what MS has planned for second half of the year. E3 bombshells from MS me thinks. Never take VGchartz numbers completely accurately. Also they are not that far behind in eu really. Sony last year was in a worse state behind MS in EU. 

Dodece said:
Was there anything actually objectionable in this thread, or are the Sony Defense Forces taking umbrage because the man being interviewed does not work for Sony. The reality is that his responses were pretty balanced. He was even handed about the competition delivering praise to both Nintendo and Sony. He didn't provide misleading facts, and freely confessed to a flaw in Microsoft's manufacturing. There just wasn't any spin.

It's not so much that he's spinning, as he's trying to convince himself that MS is doing better than it appears to be doing, and that Microsoft is positioned to do better in the second half of the year. This is odd, because Sony is *obviously* better positioned than Microsoft for the second half of the year.

I think part of the problem with the Microsoft corporate culture is that they often fail to look at their situation or themselves critically. This nearly assures that they won't significantly improve their situation.

Look at it this way.  Microsoft says, "we won America, so we're not worried about America."  This means they can just coast.  Assuming Sony will also just cost, maybe this isn't a terrible idea.   But Sony won't just coast.  Microsoft always underestimates their competition wherever they have real competition.  This comes from the top down:

Ballmer: "Google isn't a company.  Google is a house of cards."

He also stated that they were going to compete with Google in the search space.  When it became obvious that, despite their advantages, they could not compete with Google, they decided they'd buy Yahoo -- a company that is actually competitive.  That may not work out for them, since Yahoo doesn't see the benefit.

Around the Network

didnt the 360 just have a price cut? did it do anything?

this dude sounds like hes beating around the bush a bit.

sailordude said:
didnt the 360 just have a price cut? did it do anything?

this dude sounds like hes beating around the bush a bit.

Yes, it "doubled sales" when comparing the 4 weeks before the price cut to the 4 weeks after the price cut.  But if you look at the numbers, you'll see that sales have dropped off a lot in the 4 weeks following the price cut and look like they'll continue to drop more. 

And 360 sales were never, at any point, higher than the PS3 (or even close to the Wii) after their price cut in the UK (the only part of Europe where the 360 isn't doing abysmal).  It's also worth nothing that the 360 premium is now cheaper than the Wii.

Legend11 said:
Naraku_Diabolos said:
Lawls, graduating up from the Wii experience to the X360. My ass. Regular people, non-gamers, don't give a flipping damn on shooters and racers. I know I don't. The only game I would want to get an X360 for is Banjo-Kazooie 3, if it IS good, that is. X360 and PS3 don't have any games that interest me, except for Banjo-Kazooie 3 or FFXIII, and that's about it. Oh, and all of the 'big named games' this year from Microsoft and Sony don't interest me one bit. They all stink in my opinion (yeah, including GTAIV; I hate stupid and immature violence).

Oddly enough I feel nearly the exact opposite way. Where you see one game on each of the 360 and PS3 that might interest you I see none on the Wii. Maybe they really are competing for completely different audiences. In the past I picked up a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4 and a N64 for Goldeneye, luckily for me there's no such game for me on the Wii so far and judging by the more casual push the Wii is getting than the N64 and GC ever saw there likely won't be.

Frankly, as a gamer, you should be ashamed of those broad generalizations. I certainly am ashamed, that you said them.

Your implying that your tastes are that of a hardcore gamer, but in reality, your tastes simply must belong to the most casual type of "hardcore" player.

You don't like "games" my friend. You like a game, or two, and you play whichever game that is, all the time, online, via headset. You like genres not games, and only popular games within those genres, namely FPS and TPS or anythign with "shooter" at the end of it or "first" at the beginning. You have fratboy tastes. You dislike Japanese games, you dislike under-rated developers. You dislike anything your friends wouldn't consider cool, and you just flamed some of the greatest developers of all time, starting first and foremost with Suda. The earliest you could have possibly started playing games was on PS1, or perhaps just a bit before on PC, but certainly not the SNES, and if you have played any games from that system, you probably hated them.

You are what is wrong with the 360 PR team and system itself. You assume everyone shares your tastes. You assume that fratboys are the target audience of videogames, when instead they are a fairly new market segment, that the real core looks down upon, grunting, playing their Madden and Halo games online, and scoring at the local super-hip bar. You are the "hardcore" audience, you see, and you buy the games and will dominate this bitch. That's not the case though. Fratboys are losing. Bad. Turns out the anime and marioboys destorying you guys, with our sucky low grade FPS PS3's and our Wii's with bad graphics and "fun" little games. There are a lot more of us than there are of you, but you're the best so there must be something wrong with everyone buying the Wii and PS3. They aren't "hardcore" rawr! Lets marginalize them to raise our own esteem.

You're not hardcore, brother. Your just one of the great unwashed masses who flock to the next big trendy online FPS like moths to the flame. Very predictable.

Me, I'm just a gaming nerd who thinks the Wii is awesome because of Mario, Fire Emblem, Zelda, No More Heroes, Zack and Wiki. It has some really classic games available for it, that transcend the latest FPS which will undoubtedly be made obsolete by the latest installment.

So, while you may think I'm making broad generalizations about you, you sir are absolutely correct. It doesn't feel so nice when people make broad generalizations based on almost no evidence, now does it?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

lol @ Zen

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

Zen: you said what everyone thinks, but no one takes the time to type.