By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Outer World game design are held back by PS4 and Xbox One , another prove that Next gen will be held back by current gen if games are made for cross gen

Tagged games:

What do you think

Cross gen games will held... 9 52.94%

Yes it suck to have cross... 6 35.29%

I don't care because the ... 1 5.88%

i don't agree with game d... 1 5.88%

Total:17

In other words..... it would have been a much better game if it was a PC game...?

Just lay off the koolaid.

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Oh so you’re saying a game can be designed around more powerful hardware and then ported down with sacrifices? Interesting. 

Also, OW was made on a smaller budget. They have Azure money now. No need for me to be worried 🖖

Yes it can, if games were made for expensive hardware A.K.A High end PC expensives PC or Next Gen consoles and then latter on ported back it can avoid game design limitations and creativity , but another problem is,  it need  more time to ported down, more developer and more budget to ported and cut many features to run on lower spec. 

OW was made on a smaller budget that's true but also held back by PS4 and Xbox One that also true. 

And we are not talking about azure i am talking about games that made for cross gen will be held back. 

Well aren't we glad that Obsidians next big game will be made from the ground up with next gen in mind.

After Grounded releases, its going to take at least 2 years to put something else out.

More platforms and much lower specced entry hardware will obviously change the design philosophy.

Unless they're willing to release two extremely different versions. 

.. ..and in other news developers in 12 months time are saying how the PS5/XSX version of games were cut back due to console hardware constrains and held back the games from their envisioned version created for PC.

Last edited by WoodenPints - on 18 April 2020

In reality the game is held back because big budget PC exclusives don't generate enough money.
They could've easily skipped the consoles and realized their vision if it wasn't for trying to make a decent profit.
But as we know there isn't a point in creating a game that only one super computer on earth can run, so you have to make compromises. There will always be something that is holding back other systems.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
HollyGamer said:

Yes it can, if games were made for expensive hardware A.K.A High end PC expensives PC or Next Gen consoles and then latter on ported back it can avoid game design limitations and creativity , but another problem is,  it need  more time to ported down, more developer and more budget to ported and cut many features to run on lower spec. 

OW was made on a smaller budget that's true but also held back by PS4 and Xbox One that also true. 

And we are not talking about azure i am talking about games that made for cross gen will be held back. 

Well aren't we glad that Obsidians next big game will be made from the ground up with next gen in mind.

After Grounded releases, its going to take at least 2 years to put something else out.

not if they have old gen in mind as well 

HollyGamer said:
Azzanation said:

Depends what they want to make. A game like Grounded suits being cross-gen. Their next big rumoured RPG game would be built around next gen and if anything, ported down to the previous gen not the other way around. 

I don't see why a company like Obsidian would base their next big game around 2013 hardware in 2022 especially if next gen takes off better, like if the Series X does a number on the X1.

Azzanation said:
HollyGamer said:

Depends what they want to make. A game like Grounded suits being cross-gen. Their next big rumoured RPG game would be built around next gen and if anything, ported down to the previous gen not the other way around. 

I don't see why a company like Obsidian would base their next big game around 2013 hardware in 2022 especially if next gen takes off better, like if the Series X does a number on the X1.

That's why it depend on what Microsoft are trying to sell of. If they are trying to sell gamepass (which what are they trying to focus on) then Xbox One will be the priority and general quality all across the platform will be the focus. And it will held back by old gen tech.

eva01beserk said:
sales2099 said:

No need. You were in that thread a while back that I’m sure we all remember.

Through many examples throughout the gens past, it was firmly established that games in the first 1-2 years of a new generation barely scratch the surface of potential. The ones that aren’t cross gen tended to be glorified graphical tech demos and had less then timeless gameplay. 

Having made peace with this reality that I don’t see changing this upcoming gen, I’m more concerned with quality then getting that little itty bitty extra potential squeezed out (that still pales in comparison to late gen exclusives). 

Im glad you agree that they will be held back. good thing that there is no need to go by all that happened on that other thread.

I think you only half got the point. ALL games are “held back” in the first 2 years regardless of cross gen. 

Not even Sony is immune to this. Resistance Fall of Man - Last of Us. Killzone Shadowfall - Ghosts of Tsushima/Last of Us 2. You tell me those games are graphically on par and you win this debate (surprise, I all ready know the answer)

Last edited by sales2099 - on 18 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Think there is also the possibility that Obsidians next big game might fall outside the 1-2 year cross gen plan. If this is a 3 year dev cycle then it can very well be Next gen/PC. Guess we wait till June to find out it’s release timeline.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.