Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Preorder Chart

Have we had any feedback on the pre-orders and the level of expectation of the PS5 in Japan ?

Around the Network
VanillaWare said:
Have we had any feedback on the pre-orders and the level of expectation of the PS5 in Japan ?

To quote Chris on Era:

Estimates for first round of shipments of PS5 and Xbox Series that went available for pre-order are in the range of low-medium and super low.

Expect something in line to the PS4 launch.

German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

Marth said:
VanillaWare said:

To quote Chris on Era:

Estimates for first round of shipments of PS5 and Xbox Series that went available for pre-order are in the range of low-medium and super low.

So, around 300K first week/400k first month despite releasing during the holiday season this time around (PS4 launched late February in Japan)? That's... quite low for a start. Hopefully, only the 300K first week is correct and it will sell more than 100K after that during launch month. Otherwise, PS5 is off to a real bad start already in Japan.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Marth said:

To quote Chris on Era:

So, around 300K first week/400k first month despite releasing during the holiday season this time around (PS4 launched late February in Japan)? That's... quite low for a start. Hopefully, only the 300K first week is correct and it will sell more than 100K after that during launch month. Otherwise, PS5 is off to a real bad start already in Japan.

Well what does the PS5 have in Japan compared to PS4 other than the backwards compability?

Price is higher

Launch lineup is mediocre from a Japanese perspective and the games are going to cost even more.

Console is too big in size.

Sony made it more and more clear that Japan is not their focus.

PS5 will have a somewhat strong launch period but once that is over it has little going for it so I expect it to drop quite low after New Years.

Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

As usual with Sony products in Japan, I expect the limit to be on the supply side rather than demand in the first few months. I gotta imagine the massive, massive bulk of PS5s will be going to North America and Europe, with Japan and the Rest of the World left to put whatever scraps are there on the shelves.

Sony can't even manage to keep a healthy stock of PS4s in Japan right now. There's no chance that they'll be able to handle to the demand for the PS5 there for quite some time.

Around the Network
Days Left Monster Hunter Rise Monster Hunter World Super Smash Bros Ultimate
182 4
175 35
167 49
166 52
165 53
164 55
---
147 53
146 74
---
127 22 150
126 27 155
125 36 162

Just pro forma update

Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

Sony has pretty much conceded Japan at this point; they'll maintain a token presence but they've given up on actually trying to be a competitive brand there. I would not be surprised if PS5 sells less than PS4, which is already on track to sell less than PS3, which in turn sold less than PS2.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 15 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Marth said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well what does the PS5 have in Japan compared to PS4 other than the backwards compability?

Price is higher

Launch lineup is mediocre from a Japanese perspective and the games are going to cost even more.

Console is too big in size.

Sony made it more and more clear that Japan is not their focus.

PS5 will have a somewhat strong launch period but once that is over it has little going for it so I expect it to drop quite low after New Years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting the same thing. But if the PS flubs the launch to the point to have the same sales in November as it's predecessor had in late February, then it will have a hard time even compared to the Wii U, at least for the first couple years.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

But, but... 3rd party gamez don't sell on Switch...

Perhaps Monster Hunger Rise will be the first non Nintendo game to break it into the top 10 but I wouldn't hold my breath

The facts show compared to the other platforms, 3rd party games don't seem to do as well on the Switch, easy to see this in the financial statements from EA, Activison, Ubisoft etc etc etc

eg vgchartz had a news story a couple of days ago about the lastest weekly sales number from the UK. With FIFA 21

62 percent PlayStation 4

|

|

V

36 percent Xbox One

|

|

|

|

|

V

2 percent Switch

GProgrammer said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

But, but... 3rd party gamez don't sell on Switch...

Perhaps Monster Hunger Rise will be the first non Nintendo game to break it into the top 10 but I wouldn't hold my breath

The facts show compared to the other platforms, 3rd party games don't seem to do as well on the Switch, easy to see this in the financial statements from EA, Activison, Ubisoft etc etc etc

eg vgchartz had a news story a couple of days ago about the lastest weekly sales number from the UK. With FIFA 21

FIFA 21 on Switch is a gimped piece of shit. Basically FIFA 19-3 (FIFA 20 was FIFA 19-2)

So it is not at all a suprise that people don't buy this crap.

And FIFA has been a PS centric franchise (especially in EU) for how long now? Hardly the best example you are bringing up here.

Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread