By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart

So I'm new to COMG, is 23 points 6 months out a good result for Rise?

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Welcome to COMG.

Yeah, it is. I mean, World had 22 points with only 2 months left.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

Welcome to COMG.

Yeah, it is. I mean, World had 22 points with only 2 months left.

Thanks man! Dunno why I never got in on the action before haha.

That's a good sign then if it's outpacing where World was 4 months ahead.

Farsala said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Not really ... 

COMG is heavily biased toward Playstation centric softwares as opposed to Nintendo games that perform incredibly well in the real world. 

Since BlackBeauty and you made the claim first, I will leave the burden of proof on you guys.

To think that MH and anime games aren't completely overrepresented on COMG is quite the interesting take.

Using the last year of data Sony games (games for PS4 or Vita) have made up about 55% of the total number of titles present in the COMG preorder chart while making up less than 20% of the top thirty games each week in the Famitsu weekly sales charts in the same time period.

Whether or not you think this is because 'there are more anime/MH' games present in Sony games doesn't change the fact that by pure numbers games on Sony consoles are overrepresented in the COMG preorders.

psychicscubadiver said:
Farsala said:

Since BlackBeauty and you made the claim first, I will leave the burden of proof on you guys.

To think that MH and anime games aren't completely overrepresented on COMG is quite the interesting take.

Using the last year of data Sony games (games for PS4 or Vita) have made up about 55% of the total number of titles present in the COMG preorder chart while making up less than 20% of the top thirty games each week in the Famitsu weekly sales charts in the same time period.

Whether or not you think this is because 'there are more anime/MH' games present in Sony games doesn't change the fact that by pure numbers games on Sony consoles are overrepresented in the COMG preorders.

Number of games in  COMG preorder chart has little to do with the famitsu weekly top 30.

Famitsu top 30 is about games with sales and especially legs, featuring a bunch of games in week 2 or more.

Comg is simply preorders and we try to predict first week sales from those preorders, nothing more.

A better comparison would be comparing number of new games in Media create 1000 to COMG.

Last edited by Farsala - on 01 October 2020

Around the Network
Marth said:
Farsala said:

Number of games in  COMG preorder chart has little to do with the famitsu weekly top 30.

Famitsu top 30 is about games with sales and especially legs, featuring a bunch of games in week 2 or more.

Comg is simply preorders and we try to predict first week sales from those preorders, nothing more.

A better comparison would be comparing number of new games in Media create 1000 to COMG.

Just compare the COMG weekly chart to the Famitsu top 20

PS4 titles in COMG Top 20 vs Famtisu Top 20:
Week 38: 5 vs 2
Week 37: 6 vs 3
Week 36: 8 vs 5
Week 35: 7 vs 4

PS strength has weakened in COMG over the past year but is still there.

Sorry, the point is ratios (especially preorders) not amount of games.

Though comparing to media create 1000 is still a good comparison imo.

Original claim "ComG ratios lean heavily towards PlayStation"

Marth said:
Farsala said:

Sorry, the point is ratios not amount of games.

Though comparing to media create 1000 is still a good comparison imo.

Original claim "ComG ratios lean heavily towards PlayStation"

Switch ratios (number is the x in the 1:x ratio)'
Dragon Quest XI S: 2730
Super Mario Odyssey: 2470
AC New Horizons: 2330
Super Mario Maker: 2300
Super Mario Party: 2170
Yokai Watch 4: 1950
Sword/Shield: 1840
Fire Emblem Three Houses:  1700

Meanwhile certain otaku franchises have much weaker ratios:

SAO: Hollow Realization on Switch: 210

And PS4 games:
Ghost of Tsushima: 3000
TLOU P2: 2180
FF XV: 2170
FF 7R: 1500
KH3: 1400
Dragon Quest XI: 1190
Resident Evil 2: 1100
MH World: 855

Thank you for actual evidence :).

Doesn't look heavily biased one way or the other, aside from my comment about anime/otaku games and MH.

Since you put in the effort for some data points, I will return in kind.

3DS:

Monster Hunter X: 546

Switch:

eBaseball: 3060

Atelier Lulua: 623

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 1503

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 1305

Attack on Titan 2: 1042

Kirby Star Allies: 1762

Labo: 1329

PS4:

eBaseball: 3269

Atelier Lulua: 660

Fallout 4: 1182

Nioh: 2358

Attack on Titan 2:

God of War: 2095

Farsala said:
Marth said:

Switch ratios (number is the x in the 1:x ratio)'
Dragon Quest XI S: 2730
Super Mario Odyssey: 2470
AC New Horizons: 2330
Super Mario Maker: 2300
Super Mario Party: 2170
Yokai Watch 4: 1950
Sword/Shield: 1840
Fire Emblem Three Houses:  1700

Meanwhile certain otaku franchises have much weaker ratios:

SAO: Hollow Realization on Switch: 210

And PS4 games:
Ghost of Tsushima: 3000
TLOU P2: 2180
FF XV: 2170
FF 7R: 1500
KH3: 1400
Dragon Quest XI: 1190
Resident Evil 2: 1100
MH World: 855

Thank you for actual evidence :).

Doesn't look heavily biased one way or the other, aside from my comment about anime/otaku games and MH.

Since you put in the effort for some data points, I will return in kind.

3DS:

Monster Hunter X: 546

Switch:

eBaseball: 3060

Atelier Lulua: 623

Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 1503

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 1305

Attack on Titan 2: 1042

Kirby Star Allies: 1762

Labo: 1329

PS4:

eBaseball: 3269

Atelier Lulua: 660

Fallout 4: 1182

Nioh: 2358

Attack on Titan 2:

God of War: 2095

Keep in mind the ratios of older games look better than newer ones since the chain had more stores in the past and they were still mostly videogame-focused (nowadays they also have a lot of smartphone stuff in their remaining stores), so ratios from games 5 years ago will be much better (as in, smaller numbers) than the ratios we'll reach these days, even for most otaku games.

I'd never heard of this Momotaru Dentetsu game before but it seems like it's kind of a big deal.

So just how major is it, there don't seem to be any sales numbers on VGChartz for previous entries?

Marth said:
curl-6 said:

I'd never heard of this Momotaru Dentetsu game before but it seems like it's kind of a big deal.

So just how major is it, there don't seem to be any sales numbers on VGChartz for previous entries?

Momotaru Dentetsu is a very old board game style series. Kinda like a Japanese Monopoly.

It started in 1988 on the Famicom and had over 20 games so far. (+ a bunch of online and mobile games)

Most recent entry was the 3DS game, which sold over 400k LTD.
The Wii game back then over 600k

So expectations are around half a million lifetime.

theDX said:
curl-6 said:

The 3DS game did 400k which is good for this series but it typically does better on consoles. Momotaro Dentetsu 2010 had insane legs and even charted in the top 30 once in 2017 because it is the last game providing the typical experience for this series which is local multiplayer in front of the television.

2006/2007 Momotaro Dentetsu 16 (PS2/Wii) - 445,739
2008 Momotaro Dentetsu 20th Anniversary (NDS) - 388,769
2009 Momotaro Dentetsu 2010 (Wii) - 652,253
2010 Momotaro Dentetsu Tag Match (PSP) - 111,661
2010 Momotaro Dentetsu World (NDS) - 195,662
2016 Momotaro Dentetsu 2017 (3DS) - 405,802
2020 Momotaro Dentetsu (...) mo Teiban! (NSW)

I think these strong preorders (for a board game) and the game hanging on to the top of the Amazon hourly rankings show that there is demand for a proper console entry. It could sell really well especially if it has legs.

Thank you both.

Is it the sort of thing that could give Switch hardware a boost, assuming supply by then allows for it, or more something that will just sell to the established base?