By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor - MS Acquires Konami IPs to make their own Studio

https://gamerant.com/rumor-microsoft-buying-silent-hill-metal-gear-castlevania-konami/amp/

Very juicy rumor, to be taken with a grain of salt. The short version is that MS will have the rights to Silent Hill, Castlevania, and Metal Gear, and will hire potential layoffs at Konami to be a starting point to a Japan Xbox Studio. In return, Konami gets royalties from any rereleases and remasters but retains the IPs for their gambling side of the business. They will not get royalties from new games MS would make. 

With certain laws in Japan making it hard for foreign companies to purchase Japanese ones, this sounds like a great loophole around it. I’m inclined to be cautiously hopeful. Thoughts? 

Edit: Just realized the day today lol. Still fun to speculate. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 01 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Nope. Not happening.

Aprils fools?

Deja Vu

RolStoppable said:
Meh, none of those IPs were ever any good, so Microsoft can have them.

Castlevania has so many great entries. What are you on about?

Around the Network

BOLD PREDICTION: A week from now there will be a rumor saying Nitendo will buy the Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Castlevania IPs!

Maybe Konami are spreading the rumors themselves hoping to find a buyer?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Go MS Go!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

RolStoppable said:
Meh, none of those IPs were ever any good, so Microsoft can have them.

Mainline Metal Gear games? That’s a bold statement for that IP alone 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

This has been posted yesterday but I this is definitely an April fool :)

And if it would be even close to be true, this is bad. Console makers should not buy IPs; getting the studio for the talents (and at the same time aquired IPs) is understandable but locking down a multi-platform game to one console without getting anything else, is not good at all.

Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchise out there.

CGI-Quality said:
KLXVER said:

Castlevania has so many great entries. What are you on about?

As did Metal Gear and Silent Hill. But, as noted, this is all April Fools anyway, so take his post as a contribution joke. ;)

Technically the article was posted 2 days ago, so forgive the initial optimism :)