By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Someone made a Consolized switch

That is a very cool thing to do with a broken Switch.

As far as Nintendo making a console-only edition of the Switch, I could see them possibly doing that eventually. Definitely think a Premium version of the Switch will release before that, whenever Nintendo is ready to drop the price of the OG Switch. Like maybe in a year drop Switch to $250 and release premium Switch for $300 (probably eventually phasing out the original as well).
But yeah I could see a "Switch Home" released in a couple years as the Switch starts getting late in its lifespan, perhaps for same price as the Lite (whatever price that is at that point - maybe $150). It would make sense as Nintendo is getting serious about gearing up for Switch 2 in a couple years for them to release a cheap simple non-portable version to maybe get a few million more gamers who held out on the Switch because they didn't have any interest in the portable aspect. Switch 2017 -> Switch Lite 2019 -> Switch Premium 2021 -> Switch Home for holiday 2022? Then Switch 2 in 2023 or maybe even early 2024.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Are there really people that think something isn't a "console" unless it's in a big black box? Seriously?

The Switch is already a console! It always has been and always will be.

Uhh, Since always? Guess they need their narrative about Nintendo leaving console business or whatever...

We reap what we sow

I don't think that a "console SKU" would necessarily be cheaper or save Nintendo money. A screen and battery are actually probably fairly cheap at the volume that Nintendo buys at. They'd have to knock off at least $100 from the end customer price to sell it...

I mean, there was no doubt Nintendo could do it easily. The only question is...why?

The Switch is already a home console. There’s already a lower cost version in the form of the Switch Lite. Switches are already being sold like gangbusters. I am certain there is a market for it, as you and a few others here demonstrate, but unlike the Switch Lite this wouldn’t really be filling a profitable niche that already exists. It would essentially be a micro console, something that has already been tried by numerous hardware makers, and has never really worked because there isn’t huge demand for it.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Nintendo did this at some point, but I doubt it’ll be any time soon. Maybe a few years from now?

Nintendo will have a non-portable Switch when they see a need increase sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
That is a very cool thing to do with a broken Switch.

As far as Nintendo making a console-only edition of the Switch, I could see them possibly doing that eventually. Definitely think a Premium version of the Switch will release before that, whenever Nintendo is ready to drop the price of the OG Switch. Like maybe in a year drop Switch to $250 and release premium Switch for $300 (probably eventually phasing out the original as well).
But yeah I could see a "Switch Home" released in a couple years as the Switch starts getting late in its lifespan, perhaps for same price as the Lite (whatever price that is at that point - maybe $150). It would make sense as Nintendo is getting serious about gearing up for Switch 2 in a couple years for them to release a cheap simple non-portable version to maybe get a few million more gamers who held out on the Switch because they didn't have any interest in the portable aspect. Switch 2017 -> Switch Lite 2019 -> Switch Premium 2021 -> Switch Home for holiday 2022? Then Switch 2 in 2023 or maybe even early 2024.

Could be the Switch Heavy =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

TruckOSaurus said:
All this effort to make his Switch worse, I don't get it.

Yes, there you go. Thank you for having a bigger pair than me to say it first. Everyone seems to always bump up the latest DIY hack like it would be the best thing for Nintendo to do. I just think that the atmosphere is too delicate and unnecessary for this thing. I know Nintendo already took it aback with the Switch Lite unable to switch to TV mode, but this thing would just completely ruin the idea of the Switch. I mean, what would it be called, None Switch, at least the Lite has a screen. It would confuse the audience, get retailers another piece of hardware that they would have to explain isn't this or that? Who is the target audience for this thing? Imagine a kid who wanted one, but the parent got him the consoled switch version instead.

Cool topic, better left out of Nintendo's family of switch product.

They already made a switch lite, why not a switch heavy?

OneTime said:
I don't think that a "console SKU" would necessarily be cheaper or save Nintendo money. A screen and battery are actually probably fairly cheap at the volume that Nintendo buys at. They'd have to knock off at least $100 from the end customer price to sell it...

* Screen.
* 2x Joycons.
* Battery.
* Speakers.
* Bluetooth.
* Dock.
* Headphone Jack.
* Joycon Grip.
* Joycon Strap.

There goes a big chunk of change.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Congratulations, the guy added a feature to the Switch that already existed.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.