Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to Revive E3?

NightlyPoe said:

Honestly, I don't get the "E3 is dying" stuff at all. If anything, I've seen more coverage of the happenings around E3 than ever. The health of the floor show is neither here nor there. If the purpose of the event is to provide a platform for selling products, then it's still easily the most successful there is. Even companies that don't show up still usually piggy-back off of it.

It feels like this is some silly YouTube personalities groupthink that keeps getting pushed. And the same people bemoaning the death of it will spend a whole weak providing breathless coverage of it followed by wrap-up discussions and gradings on how everyone did. Exactly why is such a thing "dying" just because the show floor isn't as central as it used to be.

Fact is, E3 is there to sell hype.  The method for generating that hype doesn't matter.  That showing no signs of dying.

The problem isn't the show floor it's the trade show aspect of E3, in today's world of stock management they have a tendency to want  most of their orders locked in by the end of the first quarter, so in this environment a June E3 is seen by retail to be held too late, like I posted earlier E3 needs to have a meeting with all its stakeholders including Sony and define E3's role in today's market by answering questions like do they still see themselves as a tradeshow or has their role shifted toward highlighting up and coming games and related products for the media/public and whether that means an earlier trade focused show for retail followed by a june E3 aimed at the Media and public or it stays the same,they need to meet and look at their direction.

Around the Network

Why do we need E3? The industry and entertainment in general has taken a turn towards a more intimate and specialized approach for presentation and discussion. Let E3 fade away, it hasn't been any good for years now.

End of 2016 hardware sales:

Wii U: 15 million. PS4: 54 million. One: 30 million. 3DS: 64.8 million. PSVita: 15.2 million.

Leynos said:
And a Nintendo direct can sell hype in February or March without E3 thus not needing it. No one needs E3 anymore. Why they keep branching away and doing their own shows.

People act like this is some new development in the way that companies are presenting information when Nintendo Directs have been going on for almost 10 years now.  YouTube's was around long before that along with Twitter, Facebook, and all the other big social platforms.  There's been no change in the ecosystem to justify this rush to conclude that a show that is highly anticipated each and every year is suddenly going to die.

If anything, the increase in these platforms has amplified the power and reach of E3.  I mean, 25 years ago we were lucky to see a brief mention on the news  and got most of the information in a magazine a month later.  20 years ago we read about it on IGN and other gaming sites with pictures and a few movies.  I don't think I saw my first live presentation until I found out G4 was airing the shows like 15 years ago.

Today, E3 is must-see programming for gamers that is watched live, widely shared, and launches thousands of hours of content.

Besides, not everyone is Nintendo.  As of yet, not even Sony and Microsoft have been able to replicate the Nintendo Direct formula, to say nothing of 3rd parties.

mjk45 said:

The problem isn't the show floor it's the trade show aspect of E3, in today's world of stock management they have a tendency to want  most of their orders locked in by the end of the first quarter, so in this environment a June E3 is seen by retail to be held too late, like I posted earlier E3 needs to have a meeting with all its stakeholders including Sony and define E3's role in today's market by answering questions like do they still see themselves as a tradeshow or has their role shifted toward highlighting up and coming games and related products for the media/public and whether that means an earlier trade focused show for retail followed by a june E3 aimed at the Media and public or it stays the same,they need to meet and look at their direction.

Retailers make stocking decisions earlier and are more rigid today than they were decades ago?  That sounds backwards.

NightlyPoe said:
Leynos said:
And a Nintendo direct can sell hype in February or March without E3 thus not needing it. No one needs E3 anymore. Why they keep branching away and doing their own shows.

People act like this is some new development in the way that companies are presenting information when Nintendo Directs have been going on for almost 10 years now.  YouTube's was around long before that along with Twitter, Facebook, and all the other big social platforms.  There's been no change in the ecosystem to justify this rush to conclude that a show that is highly anticipated each and every year is suddenly going to die.

If anything, the increase in these platforms has amplified the power and reach of E3.  I mean, 25 years ago we were lucky to see a brief mention on the news  and got most of the information in a magazine a month later.  20 years ago we read about it on IGN and other gaming sites with pictures and a few movies.  I don't think I saw my first live presentation until I found out G4 was airing the shows like 15 years ago.

Today, E3 is must-see programming for gamers that is watched live, widely shared, and launches thousands of hours of content.

Besides, not everyone is Nintendo.  As of yet, not even Sony and Microsoft have been able to replicate the Nintendo Direct formula, to say nothing of 3rd parties.

mjk45 said:

Retailers make stocking decisions earlier and are more rigid today than they were decades ago?  That sounds backwards.

Agreed according to Sony the retailers make their purchase decisions for the holidays 9 months early trade shows like CES in february and the increased global nature of manufacturing have likely played a role in their mindset.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 02 April 2020

I think the organizers of E3 have to make a firm decision on what they truly want E3 to be as a show.

I think there is still an importance of having it being a trade show because developers and publishers can develop deals and build relationships that can lead to future projects.
People may have taken for granted of the face-to-face conversations as technology has allowed us to use text messaging, social media apps, and communication apps to communicate with each other in the digital space.

The facilities where E3 is held probably are not the most ideal if they aimed to be both a trade show and a public convention. Though its weird to say that because we're talking about Los Angeles, the second largest market in the United States. They would have to find a way to gain facilities that are better conditioned to contain the public audience that they crave. I don't know how that can be done, but its something that they will have to consider. And the organizers have to take into consideration what the developers and publishers want if they want to keep them for future E3 events.

Clearly, fans of video games are dialed into E3 when it happens, whether it be online or in-person. Fans care for what's upcoming and whatnot, especially if you look at the millions of views various games have garnered from trailers and in-depth gameplay videos from the developers or from content creators.

So there is value in E3, but the organizers have to deeply reflect upon their struggles and what they need to do to maintain their relevancy and give developers and publishers a reason to participate in their events in the future.

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I think Kai_Mao can better sum this up:

Kai_Mao said:
I think the organizers of E3 have to make a firm decision on what they truly want E3 to be as a show.

I think there is still an importance of having it being a trade show because developers and publishers can develop deals and build relationships that can lead to future projects.
People may have taken for granted of the face-to-face conversations as technology has allowed us to use text messaging, social media apps, and communication apps to communicate with each other in the digital space.

The facilities where E3 is held probably are not the most ideal if they aimed to be both a trade show and a public convention. Though its weird to say that because we're talking about Los Angeles, the second largest market in the United States. They would have to find a way to gain facilities that are better conditioned to contain the public audience that they crave. I don't know how that can be done, but its something that they will have to consider. And the organizers have to take into consideration what the developers and publishers want if they want to keep them for future E3 events.

Clearly, fans of video games are dialed into E3 when it happens, whether it be online or in-person. Fans care for what's upcoming and whatnot, especially if you look at the millions of views various games have garnered from trailers and in-depth gameplay videos from the developers or from content creators.

So there is value in E3, but the organizers have to deeply reflect upon their struggles and what they need to do to maintain their relevancy and give developers and publishers a reason to participate in their events in the future.

I too have watched E3 presentations through television broadcasts or YouTube streams, but I doubt that would feel as special as being there in person.

Wish they'd do more crazy and/or awesome things on stage, like that one year Shigeru Miyomoto ran out onto stage with Link's sword and shield. The audience loved that!!

E3 is pointless if the shows are not live with big audience, this way big moments of gaming announcements and audience reaction-excitement can be recorded and be revisited

if it is all turning into cold unfeeling videos then what's the point!?

are live presentations getting more views than plain videos? if yes, then it was worth spending more on marketing E3 live presentations, attract a huge audience and excite them, otherwise yeah, let it die or just be a local Los Angeles thing

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

ESA wanted to partner with Good Morning America for E3 2020....clueless idiots over at ESA. Let it die.

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!