By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Direct Mini has just launched

AlbiNecroxz said:
Vodacixi said:

Anyway... I took a looked at a comparison between the original Panzer Dragoon and the Remake:

And while there is certainly a lot in common between the two, there's clearly a certain degree of liberty that was taken in the remake. It's not about the graphics: the way the cinematics are shoted, the way the levels are designed and how the movement and logic of the game works is definetely not a 1:1 copy like a remaster would be. It's clearly a new take on Panzer Dragon. Much like other remakes like Metroid Zero Mission... is the same, yet a different thing.

Now let's take a look at a comparison between XC (Wii) and XC DE:

1) We inmediately can see the difference between this and Panzer Dragoon. 2) This is clear as day, a 100% carbon copy of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. They just changed the textures for high quality ones and throw in there a new lightning solution. But it has not been recreated in any way or form, nor it does anything different from the original. Because it is a remaster.

3) There is no such thing as "1:1 remakes". A remake in any kind of media product (like a movie or a song) implies a certain degree of departure from the original source. Which Xenoblade Definitive Edition does not have.

1) No, Panzer Dragoon Remake is a remake like Xenoblade DE is, so or we called both remastered or we called both remakes

2) I can assure you that is not possible with same old engine, trust me, you underestimate the improvements made. Just because it's the same it doesn't mean it's not recreated from scratch, they could have recreated from 0 the exact same model (which I'm sure they did), a change of textures is not so remarkable and notable, again, trust me. They're different models and you can see this from the new trailer

3) Yes they exists, A remake is not only as you stated, but also that

1. No, they are clearly different aproaches

2. As I told you before, even if that was the case, it's still not a remake

3. No, as I told you, a remake of any kind of media (movies, songs, videogames...) imples change. If it does not change, it's not a remake. It's a reproduction. A recreation. A remastering.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

If Xenoblade DE is remaster only, Nintendo would have called it Xenoblade HD. Rememeber Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD?

Monolith Soft is not Nintendo though (in the sense that they don't actively decide the names of their projects)

Monolith Soft is Nintendo and ultimately has the last say in all its decisions. 

Vodacixi said:
AlbiNecroxz said:

1) No, Panzer Dragoon Remake is a remake like Xenoblade DE is, so or we called both remastered or we called both remakes

2) I can assure you that is not possible with same old engine, trust me, you underestimate the improvements made. Just because it's the same it doesn't mean it's not recreated from scratch, they could have recreated from 0 the exact same model (which I'm sure they did), a change of textures is not so remarkable and notable, again, trust me. They're different models and you can see this from the new trailer

3) Yes they exists, A remake is not only as you stated, but also that

3. No, as I told you, a remake of any kind of media (movies, songs, videogames...) imples change. If it does not change, it's not a remake. It's a reproduction. A recreation. A remastering.

I still regrets calling it a remaster, but I get your statement, I thought you were claiming that Xeno DE is not made from scratch and because of this it's not a remake but I misread, maybe we should call it a "recreation between a remastered and a remake" and this should, hopefully, be fine for all of us :)
But this doesn't solve anohter problem, what is the difference between a port and a remaster? Because I don't like Xeno DE and Ni No Kuni Remastered could be the "same"

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

Vodacixi said:

Remake never implied change it's just as the name suggests remade in other words a modern adaptation this is even in the definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remake

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and new audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially its title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements with the original. Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, although some are made by the fan community."

Remaster to me (not saying I am correct) is the same game but improved graphics (SotC, Xeno, Wind Waker, etc). Remake requires re-imagining, akin to RE2. RE2 has completely new gameplay and additional elements not seen in the original. Final Fantasy VII (unfortunately) would fall into the Remake category as well.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

If Xenoblade DE is remaster only, Nintendo would have called it Xenoblade HD. Rememeber Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD?

Monolith Soft is not Nintendo though (in the sense that they don't actively decide the names of their projects)

Monolith is Nintendo, and Nintendo is Monolith....

Whatever Monolith decides, Nintendo has to greenlight it.......

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

OTBWY said:
Vodacixi said:

Monolith Soft is Nintendo and ultimately has the last say in all its decisions. 

I know, what I meant is that... unless Nintendo does not approve a certain name, it's up to the developer to decide. Xenoblade Chronicles is not a name Nintendo made up. Monolith Soft did. So, if Monolith wants to call this "Definitive Edition" and Nintendo does not have anything to say about it, that's how it will be called. There is no rule for the remastering naming for Nintendo products as far as we can tell.

Wyrdness said:
Vodacixi said:

Remake never implied change it's just as the name suggests remade in other words a modern adaptation this is even in the definition.

"A video game remake is a video game closely adapted from an earlier title, usually for the purpose of modernizing a game for newer hardware and new audiences. Typically, a remake of such game software shares essentially its title, fundamental gameplay concepts, and core story elements with the original. Remakes are often made by the original developer or copyright holder, although some are made by the fan community."

So... are we bringing up Wikipedia now?

Vodacixi said:
Wyrdness said:

So... are we bringing up Wikipedia now?

We can use the dictionary if you want

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/remake

Still no mention of the new product requiring to be different.

AlbiNecroxz said:
Vodacixi said:

I still regrets calling it a remaster, but I get your statement, I thought you were claiming that Xeno DE is not made from scratch and because of this it's not a remake but I misread, maybe we should call it a "recreation between a remastered and a remake" and this should, hopefully, be fine for all of us :)
But this doesn't solve anohter problem, what is the difference between a port and a remaster? Because I don't like Xeno DE and Ni No Kuni Remastered could be the "same"

I don't know if it's made from zero just closely replicating the original 1:1 or if they took the original and "paint" over it or. But in any case, it's certain that it's pretty much a copy (an improved copy). And I believe a remake cannot be just a copy. It has to be more than that. That how it has been in pretty much every other media.

And although I'm completely sure I'm right... I'm being so stubborn because the people who started to answer my comments were also very stubborn. My first reply was not a full on "I'm right, you are wrong". I talked about how I believed this was like that and so on. But people appear to be offended by calling this a remaster and they take it very seriously. The funny thing is, remaster or remake, I said multiple times that the word does not imply being better or worse. Just different. I think XC DE looks absolutely amazing, I think there has been a lot of work behind it and I can't wait to play it for the fourth time (Wii, WiiU, 3DS and now Switch).

As for the port-remaster difference... A port is an adaptation. Is just bringing a game to a different system. There is no intention to make things different, improve or make the game worse in any aspect. But if the machine happens to be weaker or more powerful than the original, the game will inevitably improve. But then again, that's not the point of the port. The port just wants to bring a game to a different console. The remaster on the other hand... the main purposuse of a remaster is to improved the audiovisual quality and certain gameplay aspects of a game.

So... the difference will be about the purpouse. One does not seek improvement (althought it can bring it to the table). A remaster is all about improvement.