By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 21 March 2020 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Tagged games:

Impressive! How many switches were sold for the quarter?

Around the Network
KingofTrolls said:
Impressive! How many switches were sold for the quarter?

VGChartz says 4 million YTD, with one more full week left for the quarter.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

China has managed to largely contain the outbreak through extreme measures; it really remains to be seen if the West can do the same, and if they can't, lifting the restrictions put in place to slow the virus will be sending millions to their death.

The UK is reporting that the restrictions have led to an increase in overall video game sales lately. I think that's what this discussion was initially about, your fear that the restrictions will lead to a decrease in video game purchases.

The only thing that you actually have to worry about in regards to Switch sales is that Nintendo's supply chain can deal with the increased demand. The UK is also reporting that Switch consoles have been getting scarce.

Naturally sales have increased with the release of the gigaton that is Animal Crossing, but they've yet to prove they'll have more big system selling games in the latter half of the year.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Naturally sales have increased with the release of the gigaton that is Animal Crossing, but they've yet to prove they'll have more big system selling games in the latter half of the year.

"Increase in overall video game sales" means all consoles as well as all their popular games, so those titles that have been showing good legs are selling even better lately.

In another thread I had asked you why you are so optimistic about PS4 sales and your answer was historical precedent. How come that you don't apply the same standard to Nintendo? Meaning that you should expect Nintendo to have a better lineup in the second half of the year than the first half, because that's how it has pretty much always been. But instead you insist that Nintendo has yet to prove something, despite them proving it year after year after year.

The current global circumstances don't really have a historical precedent for Nintendo. I do think it's most likely their second half will be stronger than the first as is usually the case, but can they still deliver in the middle of a pandemic, which could slow software development?

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

The current global circumstances don't really have a historical precedent for Nintendo. I do think it's most likely their second half will be stronger than the first as is usually the case, but can they still deliver in the middle of a pandemic, which could slow software development?

Japan hasn't been hit hard by corona and that's where most of Nintendo's developers are located. Although there are news that the Japanese government has fudged the numbers in order to be able to host the olympic games this year, so it's a wait and see game to find out how much truth there is to such claims.

But assuming a bad scenario with a two month long halt on software development, that only pushes the games scheduled for late 2020 into next year. That may sound bad because it would affect the big holiday title, but it still keeps the initially planned July to October lineup within 2020. Sales are less of an issue than the release schedule, because Nintendo has already built a strong catalogue of evergreens on Switch.

But in any case, 2020 for Switch won't be a Wii U-like year like your hyperbole from another thread suggested.

I didn't mean it would be Wii U like in terms of sales, fuck no, I meant in terms of how many games worth buying it'll have for me.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't mean it would be Wii U like in terms of sales, fuck no, I meant in terms of how many games worth buying it'll have for me.

I know that you didn't mean sales. But you wrote off this year despite us only being three months into it.

Did I? I don't remember the exact post but I usually include a disclaimer like "from what we know so far" or "so far it's looking like".