Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 21 March 2020 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Tagged games:

trunkswd said:
JRPGfan said:
How is that possible? is the differnce really that big? that seems borerline insane to me.

Japan saw the biggest jump in sales. Famitsu had Switch sales jumping to nearly 400,000 units. 

Holy cows.... Japan is like "now is a excellent time to go play Animal crossing" :)

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
trunkswd said:

Japan saw the biggest jump in sales. Famitsu had Switch sales jumping to nearly 400,000 units. 

Holy cows.... Japan is like "now is a excellent time to go play Animal crossing" :)

Most people around the world are stuck at home. Best way to pass the time? Play video games! 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Animal Crossing is full blown insane now. Obviously, in Japan it moved a lot of hardware. But even in Europe Switch sales are far above PS4.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is going to be considered a cultural event at this point. As in the phrase: "What did you do while stuck at home during the pandemic?" "I played Animal Crossing."

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Animal Crossing is full blown insane now. Obviously, in Japan it moved a lot of hardware. But even in Europe Switch sales are far above PS4.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is going to be considered a cultural event at this point. As in the phrase: "What did you do while stuck at home during the pandemic?" "I played Animal Crossing."

All my friends with a Switch have purchased the game. I'm the only Switch owner I know that has no interest in the game.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

All my friends with a Switch have purchased the game. I'm the only Switch owner I know that has no interest in the game.

I bought my daughter a Switch Lite about a couple of weeks ago, and then she bought Animal Crossing from Amazon not long afterward.  I'm currently playing through my backlog, so while I'm not playing Animal Crossing, I will still have it in my house.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

I bought my daughter a Switch Lite about a couple of weeks ago, and then she bought Animal Crossing from Amazon not long afterward.  I'm currently playing through my backlog, so while I'm not playing Animal Crossing, I will still have it in my house.

I hope she is enjoying the game. Anyway to keep the kids busy while they are stuck inside is a good thing. 

How did Animal Crossing do THAT much for the Switch?! Geez I severely underestimated how it would effect Switch sales. I don't think even Pokemon helped the Switch this much. Well I am one of the customers who bought Animal Crossings (my first game of the series). Congrats Switch!

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

To think that the Switch is already within striking distance of the 3DS in terms of sales is pretty mind-blowing. That system had a longer lifespan than most and did super well for a lot of that time. I know there's at least 10m or so difference still, but considering how short the system has been out that's nothing and will be surpassed in no time.

*My signature from 2011 which I'm too lazy to change*

Currently awaiting the arrivals of:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Resident Evil: Revelations
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Beyond the Labyrinth
Heroes of Ruin
Luigi's Mansion 2

Read the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Wii in Japan

The Nintendo Switch has outsold the lifetime sales of the Nintendo Wii in Japan, according to our estimates.

The Nintendo Switch sold 394,379 units for the week ending March 21, 2020 to bring its lifetime sales to 12.81 million units in Japan. This compares to the Nintendo Wii with sales of 12.77 million units. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model and the Switch Lite.

The Switch launched in Japan on March 3, 2017, while the Wii launched on December 2, 2006. Nintendo stopped production of the Wii in Japan in October 2013.

Looking at global sales, Nintendo's hybrid console has sold 52.79 million units, while the Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 48.84 million units worldwide to outsell the Wii. The Switch in just over three years has sold 51.9 percent of the sales of the Wii.

Taking a look at sales in other regions, the Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US, compared to 18.01 million units for the Switch through March 21, 2020. In Europe, the Wii sold 33.88 million units and Switch has sold 13.85 million units.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 25 March 2020

trunkswd said:

Read the article here.

Nintendo Switch Outsells Wii in Japan

The Nintendo Switch has outsold the lifetime sales of the Nintendo Wii in Japan, according to our estimates.

The Nintendo Switch sold 394,379 units for the week ending March 21, 2020 to bring its lifetime sales to 12.81 million units in Japan. This compares to the Nintendo Wii with sales of 12.77 million units. The figure for the Switch includes the combined sales of the original Switch model and the Switch Lite.

The Switch launched in Japan on March 3, 2017, while the Wii launched on December 2, 2006. Nintendo stopped production of the Wii in Japan in October 2013.

Looking at global sales, Nintendo's hybrid console has sold 52.79 million units, while the Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 48.84 million units worldwide to outsell the Wii. The Switch in just over three years has sold 51.9 percent of the sales of the Wii.

Taking a look at sales in other regions, the Wii sold 41.70 million units in the US, compared to 18.01 million units for the Switch through March 21, 2020. In Europe, the Wii sold 33.88 million units and Switch has sold 13.85 million units.

You made a copy paste error :P

German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread