By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Nighthawk117 said:
JWeinCom said:

The people insisting on this are probably the ones insisting that Trump is the world's last defense against a group of illuminati democrat satan worshipping pedophiles... so, you know... grain of salt.

Yep, you said it best. Good bye !!!

Around the Network
Nighthawk117 said:
JWeinCom said:

Uhhhhh... ok man. People are free to discuss what they want here so long as it's pertaining to the election. You're under no obligation to participate, so if you're not interested then don't. Coming into a thread to aggressively tell people not to discuss what the thread is about is not ok.

JW...You and everyone here is free to discuss anything you want. I wont object.  I'm only here to say the election is over.  Do you agree or disagree?

I agree. So, if that's all you had to say, then ok it's been said.

JWeinCom said:
Nighthawk117 said:

JW...You and everyone here is free to discuss anything you want. I wont object.  I'm only here to say the election is over.  Do you agree or disagree?

I agree. So, if that's all you had to say, then ok it's been said.

Ditto.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

As a non-American; any truth to claims the Supreme Court can overturn the election and reinstall Trump for a second term? It's all over Twitter but I can't tell if it's just bluster from extremists or if it can actually happen.

Because that sounds awfully like a coup, having an election decided by a panel of 9 people when one candidate leads by several states and millions of votes.

Lulz. No.

If the Court was truly a rogue agent that would invalidate huge amounts of votes with no legally cognizant argument... then maybe? But there's no indication the Supreme Court would do that. 

Even if they did, they can't install Trump as a president. The states would still have to certify the electoral votes. Georgia already certified their votes, Michigan and Arizona have announced their intent to certify. There's no precedent for the votes being decertified and recertified for the other candidate.

If hypothetically the Supreme Court could prevent states from certifying their votes in time or make Georgia uncertify, they still couldn't force them to certify electoral votes for Trump. If the vote is not certified in time, what actually happens is that we go to the Presidential succession act. In which case, Nancy Pelosi would actually become President as Speaker of the House. 

Could the Court try to force states to send in pro-Trump electors? Well, I guess... but then there's the question of if the state's will listen to them. The Supreme Court can't really force a state to do anything. If they made a decision that was so clearly irrational, states could refuse to comply. In which case what happens? I dunno. I guess whoever controls the military gets to make the call? If the military decides to obey them?

Long story short, we can never completely rule out the possibility that the American democracy will completely collapse, but there's no reason to suspect that will happen. The justices that are currently on the court have made some decisions I mightily disagree with, but they haven't done anything that's completely irrational simply to favor Trump. There's nothing that would lead one to suspect that the Supreme Court will try to override an election without evidence. And doing so would create a legitimacy crisis that I'm pretty sure they don't want to start. 

So I can't say definitively they won't try, the same way I can't say with 100% certainty that Trump won't find a magic lamp, rub it, and the Genie from Aladdin makes him President for 4 more years. But, both of those scenarios are about equally unlikely. 

Now why would Genie do something so horri- (Remembers Jafar).

Oh shit.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Nighthawk117 said:

Once more I'll say it again: The election is over. Biden won. Trump lost. GAME OVER !!!!! And this is coming from a lifelong Republican. Stop getting your panties into a bunch!!! It's fucking over!!! Trump is as done as a Thanksgiving turkey. You Demos can all relax now.

How is it over when he still attacks democracy? People have been building defenses against Trump long before he even was president, so why should we stop now?

You know when it's over? It's over when either Trump shuts up or your Republicans shut him up. Neither has happened yet so it's NOT over. Feel free to write your democratically elected officials to maybe start defending it too instead of being in lockstep with Trump in trying to destroy it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Trump will remain some kinda cultfigure for a good while, he is religiously imprinted in some peoples brains.

Looks like the counter suits are pouring in against Trump. I wonder how that'll turn out. Trump has so many suits against him, I mean one of them should yield success, right?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Trump nuthugging fanboy owns himself, featuring Goldeneye 007 music.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

And whadd'ya know? It turns out the GOP were projecting about election fraud, had run ES&S software during election.

The difference? The Dominion software machines they've been REEEEing about were audited and came back clean and were fairly consistent with the polls, the ES&S ones weren't.

KManX89 said:

And whadd'ya know? It turns out the GOP were projecting about election fraud, had run ES&S software during election.

The difference? The Dominion software machines they've been REEEEing about were audited and came back clean and were fairly consistent with the polls, the ES&S ones weren't.

Ehh, it's always tempting to grab onto conspiracy theories like that, but to suggest that hundreds of thousands of votes were flipped in states around the country and nobody noticed seems a little much...