By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

PAOerfulone said:

If you had asked me 4 years ago about removing the Electoral College, I would've said, "Ehhhh, I don't know about that."

If you ask me now: "Yeah, get rid of it. It's got to go."

Amen.  It's ridiculous to hold onto this nonsense system, just so republicans don't feel bad.  It's got to go.

Around the Network

As a non-American; any truth to claims the Supreme Court can overturn the election and reinstall Trump for a second term? It's all over Twitter but I can't tell if it's just bluster from extremists or if it can actually happen.

Because that sounds awfully like a coup, having an election decided by a panel of 9 people when one candidate leads by several states and millions of votes.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

As a non-American; any truth to claims the Supreme Court can overturn the election and reinstall Trump for a second term? It's all over Twitter but I can't tell if it's just bluster from extremists or if it can actually happen.

Because that sounds awfully like a coup, having an election decided by a panel of 9 people when one candidate leads by several states and millions of votes.

No.  They are thinking 2000's Gore vs Bush. That was the closest election possible. I believe it was literally over 500 votes in one area.  Made even more complicated by the concept of the "hanging chad".

Trump lost the popular vote by over 5 million. By 36 electoral votes.  At least three states worth. And many, many, many votes.

As shown by the fact that Trump's and co have lost 35 different lawsuits - they have no leg to stand on. Even trump appoint lawyers aren't buying it.

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
curl-6 said:

Getting less likely each day. Trying to get the courts or electors to overturn the people's vote on any number of paper thin pretexts has been the Trump admin's post-election day strategy, but with no substance to their claims their cases are getting ruled against or just thrown out left and right. The most alarming moment so far was when Michigan officials were flown out to the White House to 'hear the president out' but even that thankfully doesn't seem like it's going to work and Trump's options shrink as more states set their vote counts in stone. Trump is absolutely attempting a coup any way he can get away with (while projecting otherwise), but thankfully it's looking like our safeguards are strong enough to stop him. Those safeguards are only as strong as the people enforcing them, though.

curl-6 said:

There is no legal justification to overturning the election. It won't happen.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Lulz. No.

If the Court was truly a rogue agent that would invalidate huge amounts of votes with no legally cognizant argument... then maybe? But there's no indication the Supreme Court would do that. 

Even if they did, they can't install Trump as a president. The states would still have to certify the electoral votes. Georgia already certified their votes, Michigan and Arizona have announced their intent to certify. There's no precedent for the votes being decertified and recertified for the other candidate.

If hypothetically the Supreme Court could prevent states from certifying their votes in time or make Georgia uncertify, they still couldn't force them to certify electoral votes for Trump. If the vote is not certified in time, what actually happens is that we go to the Presidential succession act. In which case, Nancy Pelosi would actually become President as Speaker of the House. 

Could the Court try to force states to send in pro-Trump electors? Well, I guess... but then there's the question of if the state's will listen to them. The Supreme Court can't really force a state to do anything. If they made a decision that was so clearly irrational, states could refuse to comply. In which case what happens? I dunno. I guess whoever controls the military gets to make the call? If the military decides to obey them?

Long story short, we can never completely rule out the possibility that the American democracy will completely collapse, but there's no reason to suspect that will happen. The justices that are currently on the court have made some decisions I mightily disagree with, but they haven't done anything that's completely irrational simply to favor Trump. There's nothing that would lead one to suspect that the Supreme Court will try to override an election without evidence. And doing so would create a legitimacy crisis that I'm pretty sure they don't want to start. 

So I can't say definitively they won't try, the same way I can't say with 100% certainty that Trump won't find a magic lamp, rub it, and the Genie from Aladdin makes him President for 4 more years. But, both of those scenarios are about equally unlikely. 

Okay that's good to know. 

It might not be my country, and literally on the other side of the globe, so maybe I should care less, but it's still frightening to think of the world's most powerful democracy getting hijacked, and some of the takes I've seen online are pretty scary.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

It might not be my country, and literally on the other side of the globe, so maybe I should care less, but it's still frightening to think of the world's most powerful democracy getting hijacked, and some of the takes I've seen online are pretty scary.

The people insisting on this are probably the ones insisting that Trump is the world's last defense against a group of illuminati democrat satan worshipping pedophiles... so, you know... grain of salt.

JWeinCom said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Once more I'll say it again: The election is over. Biden won. Trump lost. GAME OVER !!!!! And this is coming from a lifelong Republican. Stop getting your panties into a bunch!!! It's fucking over!!! Trump is as done as a Thanksgiving turkey. You Demos can all relax now.

Uhhhhh... ok man. People are free to discuss what they want here so long as it's pertaining to the election. You're under no obligation to participate, so if you're not interested then don't. Coming into a thread to aggressively tell people not to discuss what the thread is about is not ok.

JW...You and everyone here is free to discuss anything you want. I wont object.  I'm only here to say the election is over.  Do you agree or disagree?

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

The people insisting on this are probably the ones insisting that Trump is the world's last defense against a group of illuminati democrat satan worshipping pedophiles... so, you know... grain of salt.