By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hey, Capcom! I want a next-gen Breath of Fire game!

Back when I was a teen, I was very addicted to RPGs. My favorites were the SNES ones, like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, etc.

However, I had a very pleasant surprise when I played Breath of Fire II for the first time. I loved everything about that game. The characters, the plot, the world, the gameplay... It was so good that I became a fan of the series.

So, of course, I went to play the other games. BoF1 for SNES, Bof3 and 4 for PS1... I played a lot of BoF4 with my friend and he wasn't even a fan of turn-based RPGs. The only one I haven't played yet is BoF5 for PS2, but I have watched some gameplay of it.

Now, Capcom seems to have abandoned this series. I heard something about a BoF6, but it seems to be a mobile game.

I keep dreaming about a Breath of Fire game for next-gen consoles. The world of Breath of Fire is so beautiful that I bet it would look gorgeous in next-gen graphics.

Does someone else wants a new Breath of Fire?

Around the Network

Absolutely!

The first three games in the series were some of my favorite games from my childhood. Breath of Fire 2 and 3 were my introduction into the idea that religion and/or god could be antagonists in a story.

I've been hoping for a new game in the series ever since BoF 5. From what I've seen BoF 6 should hardly count as a mainline entry in the series, and even that is many years old.

If they were to release a new entry then I'd buy it in a second.

I like it when my mom goes out of town because I get to sleep on her side of the bed. -William Montgomery

Capcom has a lot of amazing IP they're no longer working. Aside from Breath of Fire, I desperately want a new Dino Crisis and Onimusha! T_T

Obviously yes! I loved the first 5 games. BOF 2 and 4 in particular were ever present in my childhood and have special place for me. I think BOF 2 is one of my most replayed RPGs ever and I re-buy it in every platform I can. Even BOF5 for PS2 is a game I enjoyed a lot and that didnt really have a great reception - which is a shame, because even tho it feels very different in every aspect of the gameplay and visuals it still has a ton of positive values. I'd absolutely love to see a comeback of this series. BOF5 came out in 2003, so thats 17 years without a new full BOF game, its such a shame. Never played BOF6 tho, its a mobile game and I dont do those.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Now, Capcom seems to have abandoned this series. I heard something about a BoF6, but it seems to be a mobile game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfnlXEC8tpM

They would need to do a big budget, done right Breath of Fire.
Thats made for consoles, before I'd even get intrested.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

It would increase slowly over the courser of the game. And some actions would increase it drastically. One being a power/transformation you could use in battle, which made Ryu insanely powerful. You could double, triple, quadruple, etc your power in battle which increased a certain amount of %.
I increased my power like tenfold one time, and one shotted one of the final bosses.

But that all comes at a cost. There is no way to lower the % number. It only goes up.
Once it reaches 100%, it's game over. Completely. You'll have to start all over from the very beginning of the game.

So they essentially give you near limitless power at your disposal from the start of the game. But you have to calculative or cautious with how you use it. For most bosses, I never made use of that power at all.

Another interesting system was a rank assigned to all the people in that world. Certain doors would be locked behind a certain rank. Once you beat the game, you'll be assigned a new rank, and can go through New Game + with that rank, giving you access to new areas which would prompt new cutscene and events, explaining more of the characters backstories.

I'm not expecting Capcom to revive this series any time soon sadly. I hope I'm wrong though.
But until then I guess the SFV Breath of Fire costumes is the closet we'll get.

That game was so good, from the setting to the way the story develops its really eerily beautiful. It has that "melancholy" feel to it. Bosch was such a good villain as well, and the increase in the D-Counter really makes things tense, specially when you are struggling with a boss and want to use a transformation.

While they are at it, they should also release Deep Down.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850