By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the SSD is a big deal for PS5, Series X.

padib said:
the-pi-guy said:

> prefer just accept the obvious, that the XsX is more capable

Something no one has disagreed with.  

I'll just make my point of view clear: the SSD is not a big deal.

I think I'll take the words of the several respected game developers who say otherwise.  

Around the Network

its kinda like apple fans thinking apple did it first

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Hynad said:
padib said:

Because there's a thread saying "Why the SSD is a big deal for the PS5, Series X". But it isn't.

Why are you here?

But you shouldn’t be here arguing with people since you really don’t care about hardware capabilities...

I should be here, because I know enough about hardware capabilities to say that it's nonsense. Is that okay by you?

Imagine if I was decent in math, and there was a thread saying that 1+2 = 4. I think I would be entitled to explain why it is not logical. It's pretty much the same thing. Even if I didn't care about 1+2=4, in the end, I would have an impulse to explain why it's nonsense.

I hope that's okay by you. I know that you care a lot about people being constructive. Perhaps my approach isn't 100%, but my point, to me, is crystal clear.

What about you? You're in this thread and you haven't said anything about the topic.

What do you think, are SSDs a big deal? In 2020? And both consoles have it? And PCs have had it for years? You're here so I'm guessing you care about the topic, right?

Last edited by padib - on 25 March 2020

the-pi-guy said:
padib said:

I'll just make my point of view clear: the SSD is not a big deal.

I think I'll take the words of the several respected game developers who say otherwise.  

Fine the-pi-guy. It's a big deal to developers that consoles have been delaying their ability to push late technologies because it's a big bottleneck.

Is that better?

kirby007 said:

You're pretty much the only one in here making console war comments.  

This is a thread about a benefit that both the XSX, PS5 have.  

Around the Network
padib said:
Hynad said:

But you shouldn’t be here arguing with people since you really don’t care about hardware capabilities...

I should be here, because I know enough about hardware capabilities to say that it's nonsense. Is that okay by you?

Imagine if I was decent in math, and there was a thread saying that 1+2 = 4. I think I would be entitled to explain why it is not logical. It's pretty much the same thing. Even if I didn't care about 1+2=4, in the end, I would have an impulse to explain why it's nonsense.

I hope that's okay by you. I know that you care a lot about people being constructive. Perhaps my approach isn't 100%, but my point, to me, is crystal clear.

The SSD in the PS5 is a big deal. It will complement the rest of the PS5’s specs exceptionally well. It will make the PS5 a faster console overall than the XBSX when it comes to the user experience (having to wait for anything).

That being said, the difference, while being there for sure, doesn’t magically make the PS5 reach the level of XBSX’s other specs. The XBSX is an overall more capable machine.

And don’t take it the wrong way, but I will trust in the words of Mark Cerny and developers who actually know about those consoles over yours.

You’re trying to tell people here that Sony should have simply used a regular off the shelf SSD instead of customizing their solution the way they did because in the end, all of the work they’ve put into it is for nothing?

Certainly, hardware engineers, manufacturers and the developers working with said hardware must know a wee bit more than you do.

the-pi-guy said:
kirby007 said:

You're pretty much the only one in here making console war comments.  

This is a thread about a benefit that both the XSX, PS5 have.  

He's kind of right. When this kind of idea comes out, it begs the question "why"? Why is the SSD a big deal, especially when it really isn't.

I'm going to leave it like that, because I really don't want this to be a console wars thing. But I have to say, it does beg the question.

Why did Cerny make a whole video explaining the SSD? Is it possible that, perhaps, Sony needs to do some PR to make sure people feel like the PS5 has some kind of edge when it really doesn't?

I mean, we are in a sales forum, so the question is perfectly valid.

Hynad said:
padib said:

The SSD in the PS5 is a big deal. It will complement the rest of the PS5’s specs exceptionally well. It will make the PS5 a faster console overall than the XBSX when it comes to the user experience (having to wait for anything).

That being said, the difference, while being there for sure, doesn’t magically make the PS5 reach the level of XBSX’s other specs. The XBSX is an overall more capable machine.

And don’t take it the wrong way, but I will trust in the words of Mark Cerny and developers who actually know about those consoles over yours.

You’re trying to tell people here that Sony should have simply used a regular off the shelf SSD instead of customizing their solution the way they did because in the end, all of the work they’ve put into it is for nothing?

Certainly, hardware engineers, manufacturers and the developers working with said hardware must know a wee bit more than you do.

I'm really not saying that. Them engineering the io pipeline is good. And Microsoft did it too because it's a logical step when making a custom console that finally made use of the SSD. I'm just saying that even if they didn't, just plugging in an SSD already makes a huge difference in loading speed of data, and it's been affordable for a long time.

padib said:
the-pi-guy said:

Fine the-pi-guy. It's a big deal to developers that consoles have been delaying their ability to push late technologies because it's a big bottleneck.

Is that better?

The SSD in the PS5 isn’t the same identical tech as the SSDs you’ve been using in your PC.

it’s like saying “The Ford Mustang is old tech! Cars have been around forever now! I’ve been using my Model T for years! About time you youngsters catch up!”

The amount of tech that went on during the years separating the models and the tech that will make future cars more efficient didn’t stop at “here’s a piston engine"...

Hynad said:
padib said:

Is that better?

The SSD in the PS5 isn’t the same identical tech as the SSDs you’ve been using in your PC.

it’s like saying “The Ford Mustang is old tech! Cars have been around forever now! I’ve been using my Model T for years! About time you youngsters catch up!”

The amount of tech that went on during the years separating the models and the tech that will make future cars more efficient didn’t stop at “here’s a piston engine"...

It is actually. I posted the proof a little earlier.

https://youtu.be/ph8LyNIT9sg?t=1244