By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 14 March 2020

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

It continues to surprise me how high console sales are remaining even during a global crisis.

I guess in difficult times people need entertainment and the arts more than ever.

Remember during the 2008 financial crisis we had good to amazing sales for the Wii, DS, Xbox 360 and PS3.

True, but back then the stores weren't closed down due to a virus.

I need new joycons since I broke my right one, but currently I'm unable to go buy one as only pharmacies and grocery stores are still open here now

Around the Network

Does VGChartz track sales data from online console purchases? Cos in the coming months I imagine a lot of brick and mortar outlets will be closing up.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Does VGChartz track sales data from online console purchases? Cos in the coming months I imagine a lot of brick and mortar outlets will be closing up.

We track official figures from publishers and developers. Most of them when they report shipment figures it includes digital sales. 

I meant hardware, not software.

Like, if someone orders a Switch or a PS4 from Amazon and gets it delivered to their house, do we track that as a sale? Or are our figures just from brick and mortar stores?

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I meant hardware, not software.

Like, if someone orders a Switch or a PS4 from Amazon and gets it delivered to their house, do we track that as a sale? Or are our figures just from brick and mortar stores?

Oh that. I honestly don't know the places you gets the hardware figures from. Just that it is pulled weekly and the algorithm extrapolates those figures to the full market. After that I make adjustments based on know numbers such as Famitsu and current market trends. 

Ah, fair enough.

So the site's become like one of those ancient machines in sci-fi/fantasy fiction where nobody understands it anymore but we all just keep it working like stone age post-apocalypse survivors worshiping the hydroelectric dam which still powers itself. XD

Despite the bad times, NS is still a healthy leader and PS4 a healthy oldie.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Ah, fair enough.

So the site's become like one of those ancient machines in sci-fi/fantasy fiction where nobody understands it anymore but we all just keep it working like stone age post-apocalypse survivors worshiping the hydroelectric dam which still powers itself. XD

Something like that. With hardware being kept up to date it does mean it is about less accurate and I'd have to do more adjustments after the fact. I do want our figures to be as accurate as possible. 

Oh I didn't mean to at all downplay the work that you do keeping the place running, it is much appreciated. :)