By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry Video: Hands-On With Xbox Series X + Impressions + Xbox One X Size Comparisons + Official Specs + Ray Tracing

Leynos said:
JRPGfan said:

You should probably get a new TV as well, if your getting a Xbox Series X.

I'm not getting an X until a couple years from now IF they have games I want. I'm keeing this TV a good while so it's a yes or no question. Willit work on a 1080P TV.

You got the answer. It will work on 1080p TV.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nu-13 said:

The more for GAMES, the better. More than 2gb for OS is already overkill.

No, the more, OVERALL, the better. Again, there's no such thing as overkill for System RAM, be it in a PC or console. You cannot have too much memory, because the system will allot resources to make use of it and things will run much smoother as a result.

Well, to be fair, at some point putting too much memory will only drive the cost of the device up. Like, putting 64GB of memory on a base X1, a base PS4 or a Switch. That would only add a couple of $100s to the price tag when, realistically speaking, they would never make use of such amount of memory.

Leynos said:
JRPGfan said:

You should probably get a new TV as well, if your getting a Xbox Series X.

I'm not getting an X until a couple years from now IF they have games I want. I don't care about resolutions really. I play retro consoles al the time. I like to keep things as long as they work. SO if this TV is working in 3 years or 13 years. It will be here. I still use CRTs and a VCR in the other room for VHS tapes and retro consoles.I don't believe in this disposable society of just tossing something because it's a little older.

I dont blame you, personally also useing a 1080p TV... and a standard PS4 so.... yeah.
In the same boat, will need a 4k tv in future. Also not likely to get console day1 either (esp if its 600$).

CGI-Quality said:
chakkra said:

Well, to be fair, at some point putting too much memory will only drive the cost of the device up. Like, putting 64GB of memory on a base X1, a base PS4 or a Switch. That would only add a couple of $100s to the price tag when, realistically speaking, they would never make use of such amount of memory.

Yeah, but cost was never an argument. I never stated that they should put that much memory in, only that is was possible. ;)

Maybe PS6 and Xbox 5 will allow you to put cheap memory expansion for OS =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure how much Sony or MS will charge on the external SDD. But for PSVita and PSP one of the reasons for the high price was scale. Not really being propietary but the low production didn't help to bring cost and price down.

Nah, PS Vita cards price was outrageous before it failed as a product.

Sony being greedy over their proprietary format was the reason.

Most technologies starts expensive and with scale and maturity it drops in price, since the PSVita didn't really achieve that it is expected that the memory card didn't drop price. Sony makes mistakes but for several years knowing the complains on the propietary format on PSVita and keeping the price and not sell would be just really dumb, even more when they dropped the price on the HW itself.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Most technologies starts expensive and with scale and maturity it drops in price, since the PSVita didn't really achieve that it is expected that the memory card didn't drop price. Sony makes mistakes but for several years knowing the complains on the propietary format on PSVita and keeping the price and not sell would be just really dumb, even more when they dropped the price on the HW itself.

Nothing can excuse the price of those cards.

They are pure greed, that's it.

Sure no excuses, it was Sony decision to use it, what I gave was an explanation.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure how much Sony or MS will charge on the external SDD. But for PSVita and PSP one of the reasons for the high price was scale. Not really being propietary but the low production didn't help to bring cost and price down.

The proprietary 360 external drive wasn't really any cheaper for what it was. Hence why I find the proprietary SSD in PS2 memory card format a bit concerning - that won't be cheap to say the least.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

I agree. I'm a known money waster (at least I used to be) buying the same game 3-5 times on different consoles, owning an Xbox One for every room, etc.

I purchased an 8gb memory card and a 32gb memory card for my Vita (the latter for $100 even before the console launched!). I bought every game I could physically but when those memory cards filled up after the first year, I never bought another game. It killed the system for me.

Extremely good timing on Microsoft's part. Dumping a bunch of exciting, positive news, when everybody is sitting around with less than usual to do, and gloomy news everywhere else means they get a lot more eyeballs than they may have otherwise. I wonder to what extent it was planted this way. Digitalfoundry obviously have some time to put these videos together, so it's not like they were at Microsoft's headquarters two days ago. I'm guessing it was sometime last week.

SvennoJ said:
Nu-13 said:

Amount of RAM has already reached diminishing returns. We'll only see arithmetical increases instead of exponential ones. Also, 13gb of gddr6 for games is like 5x more than 5gb of gddr5 that the ps4 had.

Lol nice math there...

Compressed textures have been used for over a decade. PS4 and XBox One have freed up system memory to share for games as well. PS4 has up to 5.5 GB available for games with all the same tricks to reduce memory load. And that was cramped for 1080p. Native 4K requires 4 times the memory for most processing in the rendering pipeline. Is a 2.3x increase enough. My laptop is constrained by 14GB of use-able video ram at 1080p (6 + 8 shared from 16 total system ram) :/

Consoles have always been memory constrained, seems it will continue as usual.

PS1 -> 3MB ram (1MB video ram)
PS2 -> 36MB ram (4MB video ram)
PS3 -> 512MB ram (256MB video ram)
PS4 -> 8GB ram (4.5 + 1 GB on request video ram)
PS5 -> ?

Through the generations the increase in memory has actually been speeding up (12x, 14x, 16x) while launch games developers for ps4 already stated the memory was tight. So you see why a drop to doubling the memory raises questions. All the other things like better handling of textures, compression, faster memory is all the same.

You could at least try. 13gb is 2.6x 5gb. Gddr6 is like 2x more efficient than gddr5. So roughly a 5x increase. The rest stands: AMOUNT OF RAM MEMORY reached diminishing returns and will no longer increase exponentially.

Just look at the numbers. The 512mb the ps360 had 15 years ago was a lot. 5 years later top pcs were using like 4gb, moving on to 8. Now, a whooping 10 years later, we are still at 16-24gb. A much smaller increase.

Last edited by Nu-13 - on 17 March 2020