By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 7 March 2020

Jranation said:
kazuyamishima said:
Good numbers for a system that is 6+ years old and it’s $299/399.

The switch is starting to get affected by the coronavirus, will we see any drops in other regions aside of Japan??

The productions for the US stock was moved to Vietnam last year. Unless Vietnam gets heavily impacted by the coronavirus then they should be fine. I also heard production in Foxconn is underway so we will see Japan stock to be fixed in the next couple months. 

Anecdotally, I have not seen the regular model in any stores near me for at least a week, Lite is still is stock but it's starting to get low.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Signalstar said:
Strong PS4 sales for a 6 year old console on the verge of being replaced.

I was going to say something similar but it appears to be controversial as it doesn't feed the narrative that's being used on this site. Whether they're 40% down or 30% YoY or whatever the case is they are lower than last gen as this time and apparently that's all that matters. How dare anyone say anything positive about a 6 year old + console. Even though PS4/X1 is still 13 million units higher launch aligned with PS3/X360 according to this sites "estimates". Then again these estimates are highly questionable as of late in the last few months. Estimates such as randomly adjusting down PS4's 2017 (Sony confirmed 20.2M) year numbers to make it look like Switch outsold its peak year. That along with having to adjust down Switch in the millions after this past Christmas as well as having to adjust PS4 up by 1 Million in June of 2019. It's pretty obvious whatever tracking method being used on this site is highly inaccurate as of late. Even still the PS4 is selling fine at this point in its lifecycle for its price and still has great exclusives lined up over the next 3 months that will surely cause a bump regardless of “40% down”.

You of all people accusing others of downplaying a system and having an agenda against it is more ironic than a solid iron statue of Alanis Morisette doing the ironing.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

kazuyamishima said:

The switch is starting to get affected by the coronavirus, will we see any drops in other regions aside of Japan??

I forget exactly who, but one analyst predicted worldwide stock issues by April. Things might get bad soon

Those numbers don't sound correct, I'm in Europe, I doubt the Xbox is selling that much, ps4 only 7x the xbox? Surely they are selling at least 10x, I know of no one buying xbox, unless they are buying as replacements. I'm in UK but back in Portugal xbox has basically disappeared. Whoever had one has already swapped for a ps4.

Also almost 1000 xbox in Japan? I doubt it, that sounds far too many for Japan.

MasonADC said:
kazuyamishima said:

I forget exactly who, but one analyst predicted worldwide stock issues by April. Things might get bad soon

Nah, the ps4 stock from dec 31 could last until the end of april without any more shipping.

Around the Network
victor83fernandes said:

Those numbers don't sound correct, I'm in Europe, I doubt the Xbox is selling that much, ps4 only 7x the xbox? Surely they are selling at least 10x, I know of no one buying xbox, unless they are buying as replacements. I'm in UK but back in Portugal xbox has basically disappeared. Whoever had one has already swapped for a ps4.

Also almost 1000 xbox in Japan? I doubt it, that sounds far too many for Japan.

Xbox is below 10k for all of Europe. That is reasonable for what we are seeing. Majority of those sales are in the UK, Germany and France. There are over 700 million people in Europe. 

The 1,000 sales are for more than just Japan. It includes Japan, all of Asia and the middle East. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

MasonADC said:
kazuyamishima said:

As long as things get back up and running soon we will hopefully not see any major shortages outside of Japan. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Earlier this month Foxconn, who I believe manufacture the Switch in China, said they're aiming to have operations back to normal by April

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162648/iphone-foxconn-coronavirus-manufacturing-normal-march

The situation of course remains volatile, so whether that pans out as planned remains to be seen, plus it'll take a little while for the stock to filter through the supply chain and fully alleviate shortages.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Blood_Tears said:
Signalstar said:
Strong PS4 sales for a 6 year old console on the verge of being replaced.

I was going to say something similar but it appears to be controversial as it doesn't feed the narrative that's being used on this site. Whether they're 40% down or 30% YoY or whatever the case is they are lower than last gen as this time and apparently that's all that matters. How dare anyone say anything positive about a 6 year old + console. Even though PS4/X1 is still 13 million units higher launch aligned with PS3/X360 according to this sites "estimates". Then again these estimates are highly questionable as of late in the last few months. Estimates such as randomly adjusting down PS4's 2017 (Sony confirmed 20.2M) year numbers to make it look like Switch outsold its peak year. That along with having to adjust down Switch in the millions after this past Christmas as well as having to adjust PS4 up by 1 Million in June of 2019. It's pretty obvious whatever tracking method being used on this site is highly inaccurate as of late. Even still the PS4 is selling fine at this point in its lifecycle for its price and still has great exclusives lined up over the next 3 months that will surely cause a bump regardless of “40% down”.

Nothing controversial about saying PS4 sales are still good after being on the market for over 6 years. PS4 and X1 are still above PS3 and X360, but are dropping at a faster rate. PS4 price cut would help offset that and yes the upcoming games will help boost sales for a bit. 

The sales team tries our best to have our figures to be as accurate as possible. The holidays have always been the hardest for us to track as we only get sales from a tiny percent of the market. 

curl-6 said:

Earlier this month Foxconn, who I believe manufacture the Switch in China, said they're aiming to have operations back to normal by April

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/3/21162648/iphone-foxconn-coronavirus-manufacturing-normal-march

The situation of course remains volatile, so whether that pans out as planned remains to be seen, plus it'll take a little while for the stock to filter through the supply chain and fully alleviate shortages.

Thanks for the information. I do hope the shortages don't get worse.