curl-6 said:

PS4 vs DS

PlayStation 4 Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 210,041 – DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 5,678,071 – DS

Total Lead: 34,997,039 - DS

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 107,575,699

DS Total Sales: 142,572,738

February 2020 is the 76th month that the PlayStation 4 has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo DS when compared with the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. The Nintendo DS has grown its lead over the PlayStation 4 by 210,041 units and in the last 12 months outsold the PlayStation 4 by 5.68 million units. The Nintendo DS currently leads by 35.00 million units.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan and March 2005 in Europe, while the PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 107.58 million units, while the Nintendo DS sold 142.57 million units during the same timeframe.

The 76th month on sale for the PlayStation 4 is February, while for the Nintendo DS it is February 2011.

The Nintendo DS ended up selling 154.02 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 46.44 million units to outsell the Nintendo DS.

Thanks for posting this one. Slipped my mind when I published the article. I guess that is what happens on Fridays lol. 

No worries mate, it happens to all of us. I almost forgot to pay my mortgage the other week haha. 

Anyway, crazy to see that even at this late stage DS is still widening the gap.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Thanks for posting this one. Slipped my mind when I published the article. I guess that is what happens on Fridays lol. 

No worries mate, it happens to all of us. I almost forgot to pay my mortgage the other week haha. 

Anyway, crazy to see that even at this late stage DS is still widening the gap.

That is an even worse thing to forget. I'm glad you didn't. Luckily (or unluckily) I don't have a mortgage as I currently live with family. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read the complete article here.

Switch vs PS4 – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 242,033 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,229,444 – Switch

Total Lead: 5,955,945 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 51,517,893

PS4 Total Sales: 45,561,948

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 242,033 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 2.23 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 5.96 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 51.52 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 45.56 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is October 2016.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 4 by 242,033 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 2.23 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 5.96 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 51.52 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 45.56 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is October 2016.

Will be interesting to see how long before the double helix crosses again. This is the furthest ahead Switch has gotten so far, but shortages and the pandemic will likely reduce its sales over the coming months.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Will be interesting to see how long before the double helix crosses again. This is the furthest ahead Switch has gotten so far, but shortages and the pandemic will likely reduce its sales over the coming months.

Yeah I wonder if Animal Crossing will boost sales enough to offset everything being shut down around the world. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I wonder if Animal Crossing will boost sales enough to offset everything being shut down around the world. 

Will definitely be interesting to watch, if a little sad as I was really looking forward to Switch soaring this year but it looks like the industry will be having a slow year overall due to outside circumstances. Hopefully it manages to bounce back with a vengeance in 2021.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Will definitely be interesting to watch, if a little sad as I was really looking forward to Switch soaring this year but it looks like the industry will be having a slow year overall due to outside circumstances. Hopefully it manages to bounce back with a vengeance in 2021.

Even if Coronavirus is stopped soon the economy is likely to be in a recession. It could potentially hurt sales of the next gen consoles depending on their prices. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Even if Coronavirus is stopped soon the economy is likely to be in a recession. It could potentially hurt sales of the next gen consoles depending on their prices. 

True, but I was thinking more of the Switch, and hoping it can make up lost ground next year as folks who may have missed out on buying one this year due to shortage or social distancing grab one later once things calm down.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

True, but I was thinking more of the Switch, and hoping it can make up lost ground next year as folks who may have missed out on buying one this year due to shortage or social distancing grab one later once things calm down.

Digital game sales are doing great right now. But of course if anyone wants to buy any consoles they have to either buy it in stores or through an online retailer. I'm on vacation in Florida right now and only have my old laptop to get work done and my Switch. I'm wishing I brought my Xbox One with me as well. But who would have known where things would be a couple weeks ago. 

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 355,821 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,447,271 – Switch

Total Lead: 314,858 - Switch

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 51,203,035

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 355,821 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 3.45 million units. The Switch for the first time since launch month has closed the gap and now leads by 314,858 units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 51,52 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 51.20 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U sold 88.70 million units lifetime through February 2020. The Switch needs to sell another 37.18 million units to outsell the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is only selling a few thousand units per week.