By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts February 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Will be interesting to see how long before the double helix crosses again. This is the furthest ahead Switch has gotten so far, but shortages and the pandemic will likely reduce its sales over the coming months.

Yeah I wonder if Animal Crossing will boost sales enough to offset everything being shut down around the world. 

Will definitely be interesting to watch, if a little sad as I was really looking forward to Switch soaring this year but it looks like the industry will be having a slow year overall due to outside circumstances. Hopefully it manages to bounce back with a vengeance in 2021.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Will definitely be interesting to watch, if a little sad as I was really looking forward to Switch soaring this year but it looks like the industry will be having a slow year overall due to outside circumstances. Hopefully it manages to bounce back with a vengeance in 2021.

Even if Coronavirus is stopped soon the economy is likely to be in a recession. It could potentially hurt sales of the next gen consoles depending on their prices. 

True, but I was thinking more of the Switch, and hoping it can make up lost ground next year as folks who may have missed out on buying one this year due to shortage or social distancing grab one later once things calm down.

trunkswd said:

Read the complete article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 355,821 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,447,271 – Switch

Total Lead: 314,858 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 51,517,893

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 51,203,035

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 355,821 units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 3.45 million units. The Switch for the first time since launch month has closed the gap and now leads by 314,858 units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch has sold 51,52 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 51.20 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U sold 88.70 million units lifetime through February 2020. The Switch needs to sell another 37.18 million units to outsell the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for a few years, while the 3DS is still on the market. However, 3DS sales have shrunk considerably and is only selling a few thousand units per week.

Sayonara 3DS + Wii U; even with the pandemic, the this should be the last time the lines cross, as Wii U sells bugger all from here on out and Switch has been comfortably outpacing 3DS all along.

3DS + Wii U should peter out at around 89 million total, while Switch should cross 100 million eventually.

trunkswd said:

PS4 vs PS3 in Japan – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

PS4 Vs. PS3 Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 63,407 – PS3

Gap change over last 12 months: 314,947 – PS3

Total Lead: 184,081 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 8,864,195

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 8,680,114

February 2020 is the 73rd month of the PlayStation 4 being on sale in Japan. The gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 63,407 units in the last month and in favor of the PlayStation 3 by 314,947 units in the last 12 months. The PlayStation 4 currently leads by just 184,081 units.

The PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006, while the PlayStation 4 launched in February 2014. The PlayStation 4 has sold 8.86 million units, while its predecessor the PlayStation 3 sold 8.68 million units.

The PS3 sold 10.47 million units lifetime in Japan. The PS4 needs to sell another 1.61 million units to outsell the PS3.

Getting damned close. This one's a real nail biter, still no clear winner even after 6 years. PS3 showing better legs, but PS4 still managing to stubbornly hold onto its lead by the narrowest of margins.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Getting damned close. This one's a real nail biter, still no clear winner even after 6 years. PS3 showing better legs, but PS4 still managing to stubbornly hold onto its lead by the narrowest of margins.

PS4 needs to sell another 1.61 million units to outsell the PS3 in Japan. Sales are rather low, so it will be close in the end. It depends how long Sony will keep the PS4 on the market after the PS5 launches. 

Sony does tend to keep their consoles around for multiple years after their replacement, so I think PS4 still has a shot, though my gut still says PS3 will manage to win out in the end.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Sony does tend to keep their consoles around for multiple years after their replacement, so I think PS4 still has a shot, though my gut still says PS3 will manage to win out in the end.

Even if it averages 10,000 sales per week it will take around 3 years to top the PS3.

I can see PS4 being continued for another three years. The harder part will be maintaining a 10k average over that time.

EDIT: Ay, post #31,000!

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

I can see PS4 being continued for another three years. The harder part will be maintaining a 10k average over that time.

EDIT: Ay, post #31,000!

I doubt it will maintain that level for 3 years. But who knows. They just need a decent holiday this year for PS4...as long as Sony discounts it. 

Congrats on 31,000 posts. I just hit 4,000 posts yesterday. As you can see by my post count now I've been active today on the forums.

Yeah it's well overdue for a permanent price cut, but I'm starting to wonder whether they actually will, since if they really do plan on moving people to PS5 faster than ever before, as they claim, giving consumers a cheap option might jeopardize that. They seem to be favoring profit over raw numbers at this point, which to be fair makes sense.

And thanks!

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it's well overdue for a permanent price cut, but I'm starting to wonder whether they actually will, since if they really do plan on moving people to PS5 faster than ever before, as they claim, giving consumers a cheap option might jeopardize that. They seem to be favoring profit over raw numbers at this point, which to be fair makes sense.

And thanks!

A price cut is long overdue. A cut to $199 or $249 heading into the holidays would be smart. All the core gamers will already have a PS4 and get a PS5 no matter how cheap a PS4 is. 

True, but core gamers make up a relatively small minority of the total console audience.

trunkswd said:

Switch vs Wii in Japan – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. Wii Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 147,647 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,018,531 - NS

Total Lead: 3,479,787 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 12,303,833

Wii Total Sales: 8,824,046

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the Switch increased its lead over the Wii by 147,647 units and by 3.02 million units in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 3.48 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006 in Japan, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The Switch has sold 12.30 million units, while the Wii sold 8.82 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020 and for the Wii it is November 2009.

The Wii sold 12.77 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch needs to sell another 0.47 million units to outsell the Wii.

Yep, this was a short war.

The Wii did well in Japan, but the Switch is just so much better suited to the lifestyle there.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yep, this was a short war.

The Wii did well in Japan, but the Switch is just so much better suited to the lifestyle there.

Not a surprise has dedicated home consoles haven't sold as well as handhelds since the PS2. Switch will likely outsell the Wii in April. 

One more notch on Switch's bedpost haha.

A common misconception about Japan is that they just don't care about playing at home any more, yet their choice of the more expensive hybrid Switch over the Lite, outside of times of shortage, says otherwise.