By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming Is Ruining The Environment?

How many hours do you use your consoles each week?

40+ hours 7 33.33%

30-40 hours 3 14.29%

20-30 hours 2 9.52%

10-20 hours 9 42.86%

Total:21
Pemalite said:
Conina said:

Why? Per capita seems a lot fairer to me.

Whilst per capita might seem "fairer" the real denominator we should be adhering to is absolute totals, the environment doesn't care about per-capita totals afterall.

In that regard, China is the biggest offender, whilst the likes of Europe are going extremely clean.
However the flip side is... China has the most green energy and is investing the most while still having an insatiable appetite for coal.

There are many things that need to be considered take Australia a lot of graphs have us high because they factor in the exports of products like gas and coal not at the point of use but the country of origin so all the greenhouse emissions from Australian exported fuels  are added to Australia's total ,now there is a 20 billion dollar project to deliver solar energy from the Northern Territory in Australia to Singapore via undersea cable on the table this would cut into Singapore's reliance on gas it would be interesting if this would count toward Australia or Singapore , Australia's argument is the demand is from India and without it we would not be exporting the coal so they should have it counted since they control the rate of consumption,my take is both the supplier and consumer should be counted the world is a finite space shared by us all.

one more thought when it comes to renewables taking the Singapore project as an example. if it happens only the amount of reduction should count if it is all used up in increased demand then it should be seen as neutral.

The thing that worries me is loopholes and semantics that tend to crop up in these global problem, i remember reading about proposed carbon credit scheme years ago where a manufacturer could buy credits to offset their carbon, and this was seen to help drive down carbon but it had loopholes like Volkswagen could offset its porsche division without making any changes to its porsches because the system gave an average carbon number for the industry rather than brands  and Volkswagen could use credits from existing cars that came in under that average to offset the carbon used by its sports cars rather than needing to reduce carbon reduction to gain those credits.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pemalite said:

Whilst per capita might seem "fairer" the real denominator we should be adhering to is absolute totals, the environment doesn't care about per-capita totals afterall.

In that regard, China is the biggest offender, whilst the likes of Europe are going extremely clean.
However the flip side is... China has the most green energy and is investing the most while still having an insatiable appetite for coal.

China is also making all our toys and clothes and recycling our waste...

Per capita is indeed not fair, the actual CO2 footprint of the average Chinese is much lower, while those in Europe and NA are much higher.

Just seems like moving the goal posts. The average footprint of euro countries may be higher, but these are countries with populations that are a fraction of China. China still has an addiction to using coal for energy. Total pollution per country is imo the most important factor as how much a society breeds is definitely part of the problem. Each life consists of several decades of consuming resources.

So ultimately, Europe is actually more environmentally conscious for the simple reason they don’t breed like rabbits ;)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Switch to digital delivery of games. The resulting savings of packaging, production, transportation, heating, cooling, and lighting of the retail store, and the like will offset a shitload gaming related environmental destruction.

But, anyway, essentially everything, as others have mentioned, causes some amount of environmental degradation. Gaming isn't even a blip on the radar of offenders.

There is no reasonable way to discuss pollution on a per country, per capita, or per anything basis. I'm not going to repeat what everyone has said above, but it just can't reasonably be determined that way. It also just doesn't fucking matter (except maybe when talking about something like litter, or solid waste). What matters with greenhouse gases, water pollution, and the like, in the big picture, is the total amount created on earth. All this comparing of industries and countries to each other, creating offsets, and other stuff like that is just nonsense political bullshit. Either the total amount comes down, or it does not.

sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

Per capita is indeed not fair, the actual CO2 footprint of the average Chinese is much lower, while those in Europe and NA are much higher.

Just seems like moving the goal posts. The average footprint of euro countries may be higher, but these are countries with populations that are a fraction of China. China still has an addiction to using coal for energy. Total pollution per country is imo the most important factor as how much a society breeds is definitely part of the problem. Each life consists of several decades of consuming resources.

So ultimately, Europe is actually more environmentally conscious for the simple reason they don’t breed like rabbits ;)

Not sure where you get you antiquated information from but neither is China. China's population growth is 0.6%, Europe 0.3%, USA 0.7%
South Sudan is the highest atm with 3.83% (Africa is where the current population 'boom' is)

The average European consumes 4000 kwh electricity a year, same as for China.
The average European consumes 80kg of meat a year, the average Chinese 55kg.

Btw, coal isn't necessarily worse than other fossil fuels, plus they need all that power to make our toys...
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/5/15/15634538/china-coal-cleaner 

Europe a fraction of China, there's 741 million people in Europe!

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
SvennoJ said:

Yes lets compare 1B population country with the size bigger than Europe, to individual countries total that would have 5% population or size, makes total sense

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Yes lets compare 1B population country with the size bigger than Europe, to individual countries total that would have 5% population or size, makes total sense

That’s kinda my point. I say keep it simple, have a list of worst offender countries and try to moderate their output. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Mar1217 said:
If we going on a problematic of scale. The production process of any of the goods is infinitely worst than almost anything you could do to worsen your carbon footprint. Though not an excuse of course since we're billions of individuals on this planet anyway ....

Yep I would say that no matter how much you game hardly would have a higher impact than the production of the console itself

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

That’s kinda my point. I say keep it simple, have a list of worst offender countries and try to moderate their output. 

And them demand China to achieve some unreal metric that would make it pollute similar to England let's say?

Per capita would be something reasonable, or we can just break China into 50 different states and them see how they compare to European countries.

Doesn't make any sense to stop gaming and watching TV instead, or surf the web.

You can be more conscious about your carbon usage, but it's not simple like stop doing something.

It's like let's ban straws, but keep delivering milk and coke on plastic bottles. Why can't we go back to glass bottles? It wasn't long ago when I was buying glass bottles of Coke.

Or those who eat vegan for the environment, but buy brand new shining Nike shoes every 3 months after throwing the used ones away. Shouldn't we all go back to those good black leather shoes that last ten years?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?