By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming Is Ruining The Environment?

How many hours do you use your consoles each week?

40+ hours 7 33.33%

30-40 hours 3 14.29%

20-30 hours 2 9.52%

10-20 hours 9 42.86%

Total:21

Everything does. Including farts. I use LED bulbs in my place and many days leave the lights off during the day and night. Some days have them on,just depends. A do a few small things but nothing extreme to help out.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Yeah. Also try to have as low as possible carbon footprint.

I avoid overly-processed foods, LED lighting for my home, don't run heaters (Winter in Australia isn't to bad anyway.), don't run the clothes dryer unless it's raining and I urgently need dry clothes... Walk, jog, use the bicycle as much as possible rather than use transport.

Plus it's generally healthier living anyway.

Being carbon neutral though isn't about eliminating *everything* that adds carbon into the environment. - It's about only adding carbon into the environment at the same rate that gets taken out by natural or unnatural processes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Lol it’s not. I’d worry more about limiting the worst offenders (India and China)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Yeah. It does. But not more than other hobbies in general. I feel good about my gaming habits, as I think they are probably the most eco-conscious way of spending my free time, compared to what my friends are doing in general.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Everything will come to an end eventually. Enjoy it while it lasts and make the most of it. After the high times are over it's every man for himselft.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network

Just play on PC. Problem solved.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Gaming has a lower impact than going out for entertainment. If people stop gaming, they're not quietly going to sit in the dark instead...

You could also say sports ruin the environment. A more active life style needs more fuel and the food production chain is the worst offender for CO2 footprint. When I go cycling for hours in the summer, I come home, cold drink, burgers on the bbq, get those energy and protein levels back up. I eat and drink a lot less during winter.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 02 March 2020

sales2099 said:
Lol it’s not. I’d worry more about limiting the worst offenders (India and China)

Really? If whole the world was so abusive against our planet like Canadians are we would all be living on ships =p

I don't get that attitude of blame other countries especially countries like India were 90% not even used an airplane in their life.

Rankings by per capita emissions /CO2 emissions (per capita)

1 Saudi Arabia 16.3T
2 Australia 16.2T
3 United States 15.0T
4 Canada 14.9T
5 South Korea 11.6T
6 Russian Federation 9.9T
7 Japan 9.0T
8 Germany 8.9T
9 Poland 7.7T
10 South Africa 7.4T
11 Islamic Republic of Iran 7.1T
12 China 6.4T
13 United Kingdom 5.6T
14 Italy 5.4T
15 France 4.5T
16 Turkey 4.2T
17 Mexico 3.6T
18 Brazil 2.0T
19 Indonesia 1.7T
20 India 1.6T

Anyway I guess buying digital helps a lot. 

Staying at home gaming is much better for the environment than driving around to get entertainment elsewhere (or driving around as a form of entertainment).

Conina said:
Staying at home gaming is much better for the environment than driving around to get entertainment elsewhere (or driving around as a form of entertainment).

I drive around at home for entertainment :) (GT Sport)

Gaming is also better for the environment than watching tv. I bet a lot more snacks are consumed while watching tv than when you have your hands full playing a game!