By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Twilight Princess vs Skyward Sword

I prefer...

Twilight Princess 62 63.27%

Skyward Sword 36 36.73%

Total:98
sales2099 said:

Twilight Princess simply came at the right time. There was this fake trailer of link fighting ganondorf and we ended up getting Wind Waker. At the time many gamers felt they got the ol Bait and Switch.

Then TP gets shown and people loose their minds. It finally was the mature Zelda game fans always wanted. The kids who grew up in the 90s finally got a Zelda game that aged with them. It is dark, graphically stunning for the time. For the first time Link did a “finisher” with his stabbing downward lunge attack. The wolf parts were meh but that was a small price to pay.

Fun way os spelling tech demo.

The content has the same maturity level as other Zeldas.

A shallow idea of what ageing is.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
umegames said:

nough said. same vote. Would like a switch port very much!

Yeah. If ever there was a time to remaster Skyward Sword, it's now - the Switch allows them to port the game over without having to change the base gameplay because of the Joy-Cons. Playing that game in HD and without those annoying "you got random item for the 936th time!" cutscenes would be bliss.

sadly it will never happen because of the switch lite, as you said, nintendo would have to change the base game controls, unless swinging your lite around for motion controls is ok to them, which i wouldn't think it would be.

Nu-13 said:
sales2099 said:

Twilight Princess simply came at the right time. There was this fake trailer of link fighting ganondorf and we ended up getting Wind Waker. At the time many gamers felt they got the ol Bait and Switch.

Then TP gets shown and people loose their minds. It finally was the mature Zelda game fans always wanted. The kids who grew up in the 90s finally got a Zelda game that aged with them. It is dark, graphically stunning for the time. For the first time Link did a “finisher” with his stabbing downward lunge attack. The wolf parts were meh but that was a small price to pay.

Fun way os spelling tech demo.

The content has the same maturity level as other Zeldas.

A shallow idea of what ageing is.

The downward killing lunge? That certainly takes combat up a notch. Darker atmosphere? Cmon not all zeldas are created the same in this respect. All fantastic games don’t get me wrong. Lol I get it, you are “young at heart”.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ganon's death in Wind Waker was more "gruesome" than anything on Twilight Princess.

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah this is pretty much exactly how I felt as someone who grew up playing Ocarina of Time; Twilight Princess was exactly what I wanted from a next gen Zelda; the same kind of epic, moody fantasy adventure but evolved. 

Instead we got Wind Waker, which was a crushing disappointment as it just felt so watered down (badum tssh) and lacking in gravitas.

TP felt like a return to form, to what we should've gotten in the first place.

Unfortunately, they didn't evolve it as much as they should've/could've. IMO, they should've made it semi-open world game with much more overworld exploration, and start bringing more character development choices while keeping main story and dungeons as they were...GC was perfectly capable to manage that, but unfortunetally they didn't...so eventually we ended up with BotW, ocean wide, puddle deep game.

It sort of is semi-open-world by Gamecube standards, and while yeah they could've pushed for more character choices, that's never really been part of Nintendo's DNA, they're less focused on storytelling and more on keeping narrative in the back seat in favour of gameplay.

I thought TP still pushed forward in key areas compared to Ocarina, most notably giving you a much more interesting companion and upping the scale, while keeping the epic, dramatic, often dark feel that made the 1998 game so captivating.

Around the Network

skyward sword fan here. it's in my top three zelda games. the controls and dungeon design alone make it one of the best games ever, let alone one of the best zelda games.

Still wondering if we'll get that Switch port of Skyward Sword. Would Nintendo rework the controls altogether or release a docked/tabletop only experience?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

mZuzek said:
StuOhQ said:
Still wondering if we'll get that Switch port of Skyward Sword. Would Nintendo rework the controls altogether or release a docked/tabletop only experience?

Ideally, they should do both. Optimise the motion controls so that they're as good as ever, while also creating an alternate control scheme for people who hate or can't use motion controls.

Realistically, they won't do either, because it ain't happening.

This was a pretty good day. Why

you wanna go and make me cry?

Speaking of remasters, I still feel it's such a shame Twilight Princess got such a barebones one. It deserved a full overhaul with new models, shaders, lighting, and effects to bring it up to the standard of that gorgeous 2011 tech demo, not just sharper textures.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

Speaking of remasters, I still feel it's such a shame Twilight Princess got such a barebones one. It deserved a full overhaul with new models, shaders, lighting, and effects to bring it up to the standard of that gorgeous 2011 tech demo, not just sharper textures.

It did, but in my opinion you missed the thing it needed most: a live orchestra soundtrack.

It's one of Twilight Princess' greatest flaws in my eyes. The soundtrack was trying to be so epic, but the poor quality MIDI instruments made it all sound so cheap. And, unfortunately, it's still what the game is left with.

It didn't though, lighting, effects and geometry were barely touched and still generally of Gamecube standard, it was basically just the Gamecube game in 1080p with a HD texture pack.