By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Twilight Princess vs Skyward Sword

I prefer...

Twilight Princess 62 63.27%

Skyward Sword 36 36.73%

Total:98

I still find it so odd that so many people like Skyward Sword. I know I've said that here before, but it remains true. Maybe it's just the audible minority or something? (It did get lower review scores and much weaker sales than Twilight Princess, so it must be the overall less-liked of the two)

for me, my rankings for all the Zelda games I've played:

1 - A Link to the Past - 9.9
2 - Breath of the Wild - 9.7
3 - Wind Waker - 9.6
4 - A Link Between Worlds - 9.4
5 - Twilight Princess - 9.2
6 - Four Swords Adventures - 9.0
7 - The Minish Cap - 8.9
6 - Oracle of Seasons/Ages - 8.7
5 - The Legend of Zelda - 7.8
6 - Link's Awakening - 7.5
7 - Ocarina of Time - 7.2
8 - Majora's Mask - 7.2
9 - Tri-Force Heroes 6.3
10 - Phantom Hourglass - 4.8
11 - Spirit Tracks 4.5
12 - The Adventure of Link 3.7
13 - Skyward Sword 2.4

Again, I really, really, REALLY hated skyward Sword. I hated the attempt at writing a romance but still not giving Link dialogue. I hated all the side characters. I hated the art direction. I liked the IDEA of a linear Zelda but felt the implementation was off. I hated the controls and despite playing for ~20 hours I could never get them to work with any consistency (This was the main thing; I could adapt to the rest of the game but those controls were terrible.)

Skyward Sword is in my list of 'games I hate from franchises I otherwise love!', alongside FFXIII, GTAIV, Mega Man X7, Mega Man 1, Assassin's Creed: Unity, and a handful of others. I guess people who got the controls to work might have had a wildly different experience, but again, as long as those controls don't work for me, that fundamentally breaks the game and ruins everything else. I fundamentally dislike the entire last bit of Final Fantasy XV's story and world, but the combat is fun so I can get over it. Opposite here. IF the game comes out on Switch I'll be sure to give it another shot, but 20 hours is a long time to play a game without the controls ever really working properly.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

While other Nintendo platforms got 2 mainline Zelda games, Wii is, to date, the only one that got two where I felt both were good.

Hopefully Switch will accomplish the same with BOTW2.

curl-6 said:

While other Nintendo platforms got 2 mainline Zelda games, Wii is, to date, the only one that got two where I felt both were good.

*Nintendo 64 would like to know your location*

psychicscubadiver said:
curl-6 said:

I loved Ocarina of Time, but the 3 day mechanic made Majora basically unplayable to me, I just couldn't stand having to constantly redo things.

curl-6 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

I loved Ocarina of Time, but the 3 day mechanic made Majora basically unplayable to me, I just couldn't stand having to constantly redo things.

Time loop mechanism is what annoyed me as well, it's fun to watch Groundhog Day, but I've never found it appealing in any video game (which is odd, since I'm fine with TIME Stories boardgame) and I couldn't even force myself through it (like with BotW). I've promised myself I'd try MM again someday, but never got to it...

Around the Network

TP is a decent game even tho it was a fanservice response to "Celda" but SS is just a bad game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Zelda 1 and 2 were great on NES. Zelda II reminds me somewhat of Ys 3. Ys 1 and Zelda 1 are top-down. Ys 3 and Zelda 2 become a more side view and tougher games. Fantastic games still. I normally hate this meme but I'm somewhat serious when I say. Zelda II is the NES Dark Souls in how enemies behave and how you as a player fight them. Not the difficulty alone since all NES games are balls hard.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
curl-6 said:

Zelda 1 and 2 were great on NES. Zelda II reminds me somewhat of Ys 3. Ys 1 and Zelda 1 are top-down. Ys 3 and Zelda 2 become a more side view and tougher games. Fantastic games still. I normally hate this meme but I'm somewhat serious when I say. Zelda II is the NES Dark Souls in how enemies behave and how you as a player fight them. Not the difficulty alone since all NES games are balls hard.

I didn't grow up with the NES generation and personally I find almost all its games unenjoyable except a few like Mario Bros. I also despise Dark Souls, so anything with any resemblance to it I won't like.

Zelda 2 is the one mainline series game I really dislike. It's just not fun to explore or fight in that game. Especially with that little knife they try to pass off as a sword. Music's nice for a NES game, but that's the only good thing about Zelda 2.

I also kind of dislike the 3-day cycle of Majora's Mask because I feel it disincentives the sidequests. Why should I bother to help anyone when everything will be undone? For another mask or piece of heart? It's a shame because Majora's Mask otherwise as the best sidequests in the series. Otherwise a great game.

curl-6 said:
theRepublic said:

I used the term "easily", but it was really just an exaggeration for me.  This is how I would rate the 3D games (2D is another matter entirely).

1. Majora's Mask (A+)
2. Ocarina of Time (A+)
3. Skyward Sword (A)
4. Twilight Princess (A-)
5. The Wind Waker (A-)

All of them are great games in their own right.  It can be tough to separate them, and I think that leads to hyperbole for a lot of people.

I haven't played Breath of the Wild yet.

Get onto it man, it's amazing and will give you 100+ hours of gaming.

I still don't own a Switch, and I don't really want to play it on the Wii U since I heard they removed all the GamePad functions.  It will be the first game I get when I do move on to the Switch.  I just have so many games to play right now it is difficult to justify a new console.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)