By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much better does mario kart look on the wii than on the GC?

Dragon007 said:
Honestly, the Gamecube version looks sharper, which is quite embarrassing.

I second that. Based on the video, there is this strange blurring effect in the Wii version. Then again, there is no need to spend lots on upgrading the graphics if it is going to sell anyway,

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Wii and GC MK. They look identical to me.

Let me surprise you: they're not. Even from this crappy video you can see that polygon count, textures and draw distance are better in the Wii version. The GC game has a blur over it, while the Wii game is sharp.

Peach Beach is also easily one of the least impressive tracks in MKWii.

I already had loads of fun with this game online with several VGC members, so for me this is already the best 3D Mario Kart (nothing can beat the SNES version though). So bash the graphics as much as you like, I'm pretty sure there's no online experience as pure fun as MKWii on any console.

Definately. The MKW online is something that others should learn a lot from. It's easilly the best online experience so far. You know people, you do understand the blurring after you see the game in motion. DD graphics looked good in pictures, but was one of the most (eyes) tiring games ever, but in MK Wii, the tracks run more smoother and are especially more pleasure to watch. And the new tracks are better looking than the old ones, although, it's not even supposed to be a graphical masterpiece.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

This video really doesn´t show the difference in graphics - but Mario Kart Wii uses a vastly improved engine, running in widescreen, 480p, has better texturing, more impressive tracks and uses quite a bunch of bloom lightning (which looks really good).

Our review will be up on saturday.

sc94597 said:

Hey leo-j did you see the new tech demo for the wii. http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/hightechwii.html

Op I belive there is a considerable difference. It's a cartoon racer though, and mario kart games were never meant to push graphics.  

Yes and its on par with half life 2 on the XBOX.

On topic:

This is unbelieveble, you guys think the wii version looks better? What are you watching? It cant be this video.

mM

By the vids I saw, mk wii looks better.

Around the Network

I hate when sites compare graphics to games. It's pointless. As long as the graphical design works in the game it is in, then what does it matter what it looks like comparatively. Seriously the graphics for MKWii fit the game perfectly and that's really all that matters.

On the comparison side, the Wii version looks slightly better than the GC version.

leo-j said:
sc94597 said:

Hey leo-j did you see the new tech demo for the wii. http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/hightechwii.html

Op I belive there is a considerable difference. It's a cartoon racer though, and mario kart games were never meant to push graphics.

Yes and its on par with half life 2 on the XBOX.

On topic:

This is unbelieveble, you guys think the wii version looks better? What are you watching? It cant be this video.

Widescreen 480p. Better textures. More polygons. Should I go on? It's only slightly better though. 

RolStoppable said:
This video does NOT work for a good graphical comparison between the two games. All retro tracks in Mario Kart Wii, whether they are from SNES, N64, GC, GBA or DS, have only received slight graphical updates to keep the retro feeling intact.

The majority of the 16 new tracks in Mario Kart Wii blow Double Dash!! out of the water.

^ This.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

the wii version is slightly clearer to me

Galaki said:
Griffin said:
Based on that video alone, the Gamecube one looked better, the game looks sharper, more colours and it appears you can see farther. The wii version from this video appears to be dull, very blurry and not as fun looking as the GC one.

My opinion is based solely on this video and does not represent my opinions or views on the game as a whole.

LOL. Seems to be bashing Wii's graphics in every thread possible.

Did the Wii rape your fields and pillage your women? 

Only thing in this entire thread worth reading/seeing.