By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Report All Advertisment Issues Here

Thinks have changed quite dramatically since this thread was first posted, so I (Machina) have decided to update this OP:

Brett (the site's owner) has given the staff the go-ahead to contact the ad provider and work with them to curb some of the excesses we've seen recently.

We've outlined the things we consider high priority and that we most want to be fixed and are now working with the ad provider to:

• Get any site-breaking ads removed (stuff that prevents scrolling, for example).
  • Reduce the amount of space the ads take up.
  • Make sure that any pop-up ads can be actively closed by the user.

Obviously we need to strike a balance - the site needs ads to run, and the bigger and flashier the ad campaign the more it generally brings in. Where the staff think the line should most definitely be drawn, however, is when the ads in some way break the site or prevent users to accessing it properly. We also think the line should be drawn when most of the screen consists of ads rather than actual website. Now that we have Brett's backing to tackle these issues we'll do our most to ensure the ad provider knows about any problematic ads and works with us to get them removed, and where the ads go overboard to rein them in a bit.

To that end, if you encounter any site-breaking ads (ads that prevent you from properly navigating the site), please let us know about them in this thread. Try to be as specific as possible, and if possible provide a screengrab to illustrate the issue. That will make it easier for us to report to the ad provider and get it/them removed.

Thanks for your patience - we know the ads have driven some of you to despair, but there's light at the end of the tunnel now :)

Last edited by Machina - on 07 December 2020

Around the Network

I've been a supporter for about 18 months now. It's the best money I've ever spent. The ads were driving me crazy before. Now, there ain't a single one, ever.

In some ways it is sad that I have to give money to a website for it to work properly. On the other hand, nothing in life is free. Since I use the site a lot, I don't mind paying a few bucks.

VAMatt said:
I've been a supporter for about 18 months now. It's the best money I've ever spent. The ads were driving me crazy before. Now, there ain't a single one, ever.

In some ways it is sad that I have to give money to a website for it to work properly. On the other hand, nothing in life is free. Since I use the site a lot, I don't mind paying a few bucks.

Well, if you think about it, dealing with the ads while you're browsing the website is (in a way) giving money to the website - you're just doing it in an indirect way because you're not spending actual money. Ad views & clicks generate money for the website, you just don't have to send it...  :)

If your an android user and not too concerned with what browser you're using, then use a browser with a built in adblocker, I personally use Brave and haven't had any issues with ads on this site when I'm logged out. You shouldn't really be put in a position of having to buy supporter to just have a usable site in some cases and I say that as a supporter.

Wheel me out to the curb for garbage day

VersusEvil said:
If your an android user and not too concerned with what browser you're using, then use a browser with a built in adblocker, I personally use Brave and haven't had any issues with ads on this site when I'm logged out. You shouldn't really be put in a position of having to buy supporter to just have a usable site in some cases and I say that as a supporter.

I agree - hence the reason for this thread.

I would obviously prefer if people avoided using adblockers, but how can I blame them if they're getting inundated with NSFW ads or videos that suddely SCREAM at you or ads that blockbreak functionality???

So - yeah, hopefully some good with come of this thread allowing us to fix the ads that we can (I already fixed the issue with the ad showing up in the richtext editor in forum replies) and either reporting the ones we can't directly to the ad provider or discussing with ioi in hopes of a compromise...

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
VAMatt said:

Well, if you think about it, dealing with the ads while you're browsing the website is (in a way) giving money to the website - you're just doing it in an indirect way because you're not spending actual money. Ad views & clicks generate money for the website, you just don't have to send it...  :)

I'd agree with that, if the ads didn't break the site.  I am completely fine with advertising in general.  I think it is a great way to pay for content.  But, on this site, a user "pays" by viewing ads, but sometimes can't access the content he paid for because of those ads.  

I'm going to follow this thread as well. I did some changes about two weeks ago about ads that were preventing typing a rich-text reply on mobile but it had mixed results as those ads are varied and one fix might work for one and not others.

Signature goes here!

When I try to edit a post on my smartphone, I get an ad that doesn't let me see what I'm typing:

When I try to edit a post on my smartphone, I get an ad that doesn't let me see what I'm typing: