By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
Hynad said:
Mnementh said: 

And there is another factor. Final Fantasy was a symbol for Playstation winning over Nintendo. they made advertisements with that. That produces an emotional divide thinking about FF7. People invested with Playstation will see FF better than it is, people invested with Nintendo worse. And as I said, three times as much people had a Playstation. So this helps. I would like to see the split on above poll for europe and America. I have a strong feeling in europe FF wins strongly, as N64 didn't have a strong presence.

The same applies to OoT, even if the reasons may slightly differ.

People invested with Nintendo see OoT better than it is, and those who aren’t see it as worse.

This might seem so, but actually it is not more than usual for first-party games. As FF is 3rd-party and OOT is 1st-party it makes the comparison a bit difficult. Every 1st-party game wins a bit from fans of the platform and loses a bit from fans of competing platforms. But that is true for all 1st-party games and even exclusives. And FF7 was an exclusive. But OOT doesn't win more in this regard as Link to the Past or Crash Bandicoot. For FF it was different. FF was the series that lived and thrived on the NES and SNES. Switching platforms was enormous news and Sony miled it quite a bit. Nobody used OOT for an attack ad on Playstation, but FF was used in advertisement to attack the N64.This shows how immense the effect of the series switching platforms was.

And again, Playstation sold more than three times as much as N64, so that affected more people on the Playstation side of things. So even if the impact of OOT being an exclusive to N64 would've been as big as the effect for FF (which wasn't the case), still three times as much people would be emotionally tugged to think better of FF than OOT this way.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
JRPGfan said:

Gameplay hasnt aged as well imo, visual neither, nore was it a "straigth up better game".
FF7 beats it in all 3 area's you mentioned imo.

Too many nintendo die hards on this forum. Is the most likely explaination if Ocarina of time wins.

I dont know what FF7 game you were playing, but its crazy to suggest FF7 visually looks better than Zelda OoT. 

This looks better than..

That.

Your only compaireing the world map of FF7 (where it probably looks worst, to the best parts of Zelda Oot?)

Your ignoreing these things though (ff7 is more than its world map):

FF7 overall is a better looking game than Zelda Oot.

JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

I dont know what FF7 game you were playing, but its crazy to suggest FF7 visually looks better than Zelda OoT. 

This looks better than..

That.

Your only compaireing the world map of FF7 (where it probably looks worst, to the best parts of Zelda Oot?)

No way, FFVII is not a better looking game ...those are pre-rendered brackdrops, basically CGI renders turned into photo backdrops so that the characters can move though them. It no way or form comparable to actual real-time 3-D world rendering. You basically have a static image in FFVII, you control camera, zoom in first person, and interact with every nook and cranny in OoT (save for market town, and some interiors which were also pre-rendered ) Ocarina was the more impressive looking game at the time, perhaps even the most impressive Console game of that gen.

JRPGfan said:

Even those screens don't debunk what he said sorry visually OOT was better and that's with out pre-rendered backgrounds.

I thought FFVII was the greatest game ever made back then. The cgi cutscenes mixed with the graphics in a way that was simply mind-blowing in 1997. The battle system was tried and true perfection and the materia system was awesome. I spent hours trying to get the right combination of armor and abilities so I could take on Emerald and Rubyn weapon.

But Ocarina of Time is Ocarina of Time. I'd play that game again right now. That adventure sucks me in every time on every console and every single time I think "Damn. This might be the best game ever."

Zelda wins.

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Mnementh said: 

And there is another factor. Final Fantasy was a symbol for Playstation winning over Nintendo. they made advertisements with that. That produces an emotional divide thinking about FF7. People invested with Playstation will see FF better than it is, people invested with Nintendo worse. And as I said, three times as much people had a Playstation. So this helps. I would like to see the split on above poll for europe and America. I have a strong feeling in europe FF wins strongly, as N64 didn't have a strong presence.

The same applies to OoT, even if the reasons may slightly differ.

People invested with Nintendo see OoT better than it is, and those who aren’t see it as worse.

Prior to FFVII, Final Fantasy was a Nintendo franchise. Personally, while I was a Nintendo fan, I sold my Nintendo 64 in 1997 (got another one when DK64 came out for my little sisters but I didn't play it anymore that gen aside from Conker). I preferred the PS1 and bought like 100+ games for it. I loved PlayStation.

I finally got my hands on Ocarina of Time when it was free with a pre-order of Windwaker and my mind was blown. Even on the GameCube, I said "Man, I see what the fuss was about!". Prior to OoT, the only Zelda I'd played was Link to the Past back in like 1993. Never even played Majora's Mask until the 3DS re-release.

I went through a bit of a phase where I appreciated older games more than the new ones. Some of my thoughts at the time:

-"Super Mario 64 is actually better than Super Mario Sunshine"

-"Chrono Trigger is actually better than FFVII"

-"Ocarina of Time is actually better than Wind Waker."

-"Soul Calibur MAY be better than Soul Calibur 2..." 

I can only speak for myself but, as invested as I was in FFVII (rented it, beat it in a weekend, immediately bought it and beat it again trying to do everything I missed), it had nothing on the first time I played a Ocarina of Time--five years after launch and a better experience than any PS2/GC game I had played to to that point.

I'd even played Star Fox Adventures before playing Ocarina of Time and it borrowed A LOT from Zelda though I didn't know it at the time. Suddenly I understood why people thought it wasn't a great game. It was a step down.

Sorry for the long post!

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:

Doesn't have the visual indicator, and Mega Man has to be stationary when he uses it.  Other than that it's essentially the same.  

It isn't the same. The revolutionary thing is moving and fighting, while you still automatically face the enemy. That is something 3D action adventure games to this day use, and if not the controls are often deemed clunky and unintuitive. Nintendo talked about how they got inspired for this solution by watching a traditional japanese fight, where the contestants are bound to each other by a rope. That was their basic idea in implementing that.

Tbh when I first posted, I forgot you couldn't move while locking on in Legends since you could in the sequel.  But, it's still the same general idea, and I think Mega Man would have gotten there on their own.  I didn't mean to imply that Nintendo stole the idea or anything, just wanted to give some love to a poor neglected game.

JRPGfan said:
Azzanation said:

This looks better than..

That.

First of all, this doesn't look better than OoT and those attached screens prove it. Second, you are comparing a game which used 2D sprites as background with the game made completely in 3D. OoT was more technologically advanced. Yes, it was released almost 2 years later but still.

P.S. I think that it was a bad idea to compare two completely different games.

For me its Ocarina hands down, but its not quite fair since I was 100% Nintendo fanboy at the time. The PS2 was my first PlayStation console so by the time I played Final Fantasy VII the graphics looked awful and dated. I tried playing it a few years into the PS2 life cycle and couldn't get into it, until I tried again years later on the PS3. When I played it on the PS3 I really enjoyed it, I just needed to get over the dated graphics and controls. Final Fantasy IX was my preference on the PS1 but VII was a great game as well.

derpysquirtle64 said:
JRPGfan said:

First of all, this doesn't look better than OoT and those attached screens prove it. Second, you are comparing a game which used 2D sprites as background with the game made completely in 3D. OoT was more technologically advanced. Yes, it was released almost 2 years later but still.

P.S. I think that it was a bad idea to compare two completely different games.

I dont make excuses to say "one game looks better than another".
I dont care how they went about makeing FF7 look so good for its time, I just think it looks better than Zelda OoT.

Useing techniques to get a beautifull looking game, such as a 2D backgrounds, is just smart.
no one said, it had to be 3D models vs 3D models.

Overall FF7 is a better looking game.