By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
dharh said:
COKTOE said:

I never pass up a chance to mention that I didn't like FF VII.

How I quit playing before that girl died.

How I sold it at a pawn shop and used the money to buy weed.

It's all in my book: Raw, Red, and Beyond

I loved ZOOT at the time, but struggled to enjoy it when I played it briefly again in 2004. I don't think it's held up well. A common sentiment for me as it pertains to games from that gen.

Zelda, because I did really enjoy it at the time.

I also won't pass up this chance to mention how awful a game ocarina of time is compared to its predecessors.

How I started to question why it is that I bought nintendo consoles.

How I bought the gamecube to try WW and yet again came away disappointed.

It's all in my book: Zelda peaked at lttp

FFVII is an iconic example of where RPGs were heading to at the time.  Graphically its aged kinda sour, but gameplay wise it's still a game I play once a year.

Wow you disliked two the best games ever made in Ocarina and WW.  I suppose even the best games cant please everyone. 

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:

Ocarina was the more impressive looking game at the time, perhaps even the most impressive Console game of that gen.

Not sure I'd go that far personally; it did look insanely, mind-blowingly good in 1998, but I personally found some of Rare's later N64 titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day to be the most graphically impressive of that gen.

curl-6 said:
SammyGiireal said:

Ocarina was the more impressive looking game at the time, perhaps even the most impressive Console game of that gen.

Not sure I'd go that far personally; it did look insanely, mind-blowingly good in 1998, but I personally found some of Rare's later N64 titles like Conker's Bad Fur Day to be the most graphically impressive of that gen.

I will agree that Conquer was. But at the time of their specific releases Ocarina was much more mind blowing, especially because of its size. In that regard MM was also a better looking game but it didn't have the same impact as Ocarina did in 1998. Probably owning a DC around that time (MMs release) sort of spoiled me a bit . That is why I added the "Perhaps". To be fair to conquer, I was never as mindblown by any game as I was the first time that I walked into Hyrule field and I witnessed as the sun set in real time. 

SammyGiireal said:
curl-6 said:

I will agree that Conquer was. But at the time of their specific releases Ocarina was much more mind blowing, especially because of its size. In that regard MM was also a better looking game but it didn't have the same impact as Ocarina did in 1998. Probably owning a DC around that time (MMs release) sort of spoiled me a bit . That is why I added the "Perhaps". To be fair to conquer, I was never as mindblown by any game as I was the first time that I walked into Hyrule field and I witnessed as the sun set in real time. 

Yeah, I got my N64 for Christmas of 1998 and it came with three games; Ocarina, Banjo Kazooie, and Starfox 64. As a kid with no understanding of how graphics worked I remember being most impressed by Banjo, which I do think has also aged better due to its cartoony art style. I think it was less the graphics that wowed me in Ocarina and more just the world design and scale.

Random memory just popped into my head. I recall back in 1998 I was on a date. Went to go see some random movie. I think it was John Q or Rush Hour (I took EVERYONE to see Rush Hour and acted like I'd never seen it before! 😇) but I'm not sure.

Anyway, a trailer for Zelda OoT popped up. My date was like "What the hell is this?" and I replied "I don't know. Looks like some low budget movie.." but I did know.

I did know.

And there was a little tingle in my balls. I instantly regretted selling my N64 and I knew I had to get another one.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Random memory just popped into my head. I recall back in 1998 I was on a date. Went to go see some random movie. I think it was John Q or Rush Hour (I took EVERYONE to see Rush Hour and acted like I'd never seen it before! 😇) but I'm not sure.

Anyway, a trailer for Zelda OoT popped up. My date was like "What the hell is this?" and I replied "I don't know. Looks like some low budget movie.." but I did know.

I did know.

And there was a little tingle in my balls. I instantly regretted selling my N64 and I knew I had to get another one.

Was it the “Willst thou suck?”-trailer? That one’s awesome.

I’d have left the theatre right then and there to go buy it.

S.Peelman said:
d21lewis said:

I did know.

The one with the Epic orchestral music probably.  I saw it in 9th grade, in channel one in my homeroom. Even a few girls had their jaws wide open. I wanted the game before then, as I had been tracking its progress for years in Magazines, but that commercial completely made it so that I couldn't think of anything else until my mom bought it for me!

SammyGiireal said:
S.Peelman said:

The one with the Epic orchestral music probably.  I saw it in 9th grade, in channel one in my homeroom. Even a few girls had their jaws wide open. I wanted the game before then, as I had been tracking its progress for years in Magazines, but that commercial completely made it so that I couldn't think of anything else until my mom bought it for me!

You and me both then

FFVII is one of my favorites games and the second best FF (VI is)
But Ocarine of time is a better game : The 3d world exploration, controls (Z targeting),etc.
This game set the base to all 3d action adventure games. FF VII is a Jrpg from snes era with better grafics and cgi cinematics. The game is fantastic, but dont evolve the FF formula in gameplay, only in presentation.
In the graphic section oot is more cohesive as a world, ff7 is more disparate between battle and world. Even CGI sequences are different from each other, going from realistic to chibi characters.

Sorry for my bad english.

Best Story, best music, multiple spin-offs, films and anime. The opening intro in the original still holds up on it's own today.

FF7 wins in these categories. Now we'll REALLY get to see it for real in the Remake. Nope can't change my mind, don't even try.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5