By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180

Lol at anyone who seems to think zelda oot looks better then ff7, yes it had blocky chars but everything else whas mindblowing, and tbh no zelda game really looks that impressive, yes botw is amazing but its graphics are so outdated.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
SammyGiireal said:

And it is still losing the poll...the Spin offs and the films are irrelevant to the greatness of the actual game. I agree the story and music are better than OoTs but that's about the only things that have a good argument. To be fair, FFVII is the one RPG that really kick started the Fan Faction boom of the late 90s, not game before it or since has drawn as many players to its story and characters, but as game Ocarina was the superior piece of software. There is no shame in that,  it still holds the Metacritic record (OoT), no other game has beaten it either.

This poll is one sided because the forum is comprised of mostly Nintendo fans. I know, I been here for a very long time, and nothing is wrong with their opinion. But to say the spin offs and films is irrelevant is a poor excuse because again, you can't compete with story that expands beyond the game.

EDIT:

The story and music is the only good thing about FFVII?

Man... FFVII even have RTS.

Snowboarding.

A fighting game

Submarine mini game

motorbike mini game

And even an FPS game..

edit again: if we have a more comprehensive way to rank each element of both these games in terms of story, music, and fun factor, I think it'll be more interesting. 

I know FF VII had a lot of Minigames, and side quests, who can forget the Chocobo breeding quests. But all of those mini games (except maybe the Snowboarding one) played pedestrianly to awfully bad. Ocarina's Fishing Game alone was masterful. Never mind the horse back archery, and horse racing games. I loved both games, FFVII was only behind Mario 64 and OoT as my favorite game of that gen but Ocarina was and remains the superior game. 

deskpro2k3 said:
SammyGiireal said:

And it is still losing the poll...the Spin offs and the films are irrelevant to the greatness of the actual game. I agree the story and music are better than OoTs but that's about the only things that have a good argument. To be fair, FFVII is the one RPG that really kick started the Fan Faction boom of the late 90s, not game before it or since has drawn as many players to its story and characters, but as game Ocarina was the superior piece of software. There is no shame in that,  it still holds the Metacritic record (OoT), no other game has beaten it either.

This poll is one sided because the forum is comprised of mostly Nintendo fans. I know, I been here for a very long time, and nothing is wrong with their opinion. But to say the spin offs and films is irrelevant is a poor excuse because again, you can't compete with story that expands beyond the game.

EDIT:

Snowboarding.

A fighting game

Submarine mini game

motorbike mini game

And even an FPS game..

edit again: if we have a more comprehensive way to rank each element of both these games in terms of story, music, and fun factor, I think it'll be more interesting. 

When you're including the rock paper scissors minigame in golden saucer as a "fighting game" or as in any way significant way additive to the overall quality of the game, I legitimately think you're trolling. 

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Those stories is pretty much forgotten but go ahead and add them to the mix if it makes you feel like it's better. Oh I forgot, those stories still don't compare to FF7, because FF7 story is still impactful even today. So strange for a "flawed" game huh?

"Is still impactful even today". Okay: how so? I'm genuinely curious.

* snips out the trash *

Are you serious?

I tried to be nice, I really did, but listen let me make you understand something, let me explain to you why your little excuse is trash and a desperate attempt to downplay one of ff7 main attributes.

I think FF7 is a special game for a lot of people and I didn't play RPGs in the early 90s. I didn't really play a lot of video games with story. I had a snes, I played mario, and duck hunt, but FF7 was the first game to introduce story for me, and I wasn't into board-games D&D as a kid. But for a lot of people and including myself ff7 was the gateway to videogames being a narrative to you and getting attached to characters instead of just playing a game for the sake of playing a game.. Like Mario or Zalda. It's like you know a character in a book or using a character in a fighting game, you get attached to that character and what makes that character appealing in some way is similar to the way people get attached to Star Wars, and Star Trek, and both of them spawn multiple series and major motion pictures. The same is true for FF7 because it does this to so many people including myself. This was the first time you lived a game with characters, this was the first time you experienced a journey with characters, and you didn't feel you were just watching a movie, you feel like you were a part of something, like you was there with them.

Your first experience with a game like that is going be impactful and luckily Final Fantasy 7 is still a good game. The characters and storytelling has so many crazy twists and turns and memorable moments throughout the whole game. Having such an impact is why people talk so highly about Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 because they were the big games on Super Nintendo and this is why people are so fond of FF6 and Chrono Trigger today because they were introduced to it at the time but FF7 was the game that took it from being this niche thing that was on a Super Nintendo to suddenly it being a worldwide phenomenon with PlayStation. That's why people like in that YouTube video acted in such joyful way. 

Now to address the facts, I mentioned that FF7 has multiple spin-offs, films, and anime. I wasn't comparing that to Zelda, I was just stating some irrefutable, undeniable facts. I said FF7 has the best story and music, that much is also indisputable, but you just had to take it to another level with your poor attempt to downplay. I'll be the bigger man here and I say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to state some hurtful facts. So since you have nothing else to say I guess that's that.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 17 February 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
JWeinCom said:
deskpro2k3 said:

EDIT:

Snowboarding.

A fighting game

Submarine mini game

motorbike mini game

And even an FPS game..

When you're including the rock paper scissors minigame in golden saucer as a "fighting game".  I legitimately think you're trolling. 

Yeah, it was nice to have many "distractions" in a JRPG...but most of those mini games were truly awful. I had some fun with the Snowboarding game, and the Chocobo breeding quest. But I wouldn't put any of those Mini games as an example of FFVII's supremacy over OoT, which was as polished as a game could be in the late 90s.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
deskpro2k3 said:

EDIT:

Snowboarding.

A fighting game

Submarine mini game

motorbike mini game

And even an FPS game..

When you're including the rock paper scissors minigame in golden saucer as a "fighting game" or as in any way significant way additive to the overall quality of the game, I legitimately think you're trolling. 

Out of all those examples you just want to focus on THAT? smh..

SammyGiireal said:
JWeinCom said:

When you're including the rock paper scissors minigame in golden saucer as a "fighting game".  I legitimately think you're trolling. 

Yeah, it was nice to have many "distractions" in a JRPG...but most of those mini games were truly awful. I had some fun with the Snowboarding game, and the Chocobo breeding quest. But I wouldn't put any of those Mini games as an example of FFVII's supremacy over OoT, which was as polished as a game could be in the late 90s.

Yeah.  They were kind of clunky.  I liked the RTS style one.  I just focused on the fighting game example, because it literally has nothing we would expect of a fighting game.  No movement whatsoever, no ability to attack in real time, one player, one playable character.  If it was a fighting game, I think it would literally be the worst fighting game of all time.

deskpro2k3 said:
JWeinCom said:

Out of all those examples you just want to focus on THAT? smh..

Yes, because it's the most obviously ridiculous.  You decided it was worth mentioning, so it's worth responding to.  Can you defend the point, or are you just going to continue to throw fits?

SammyGiireal said:
JWeinCom said:

You got the wrong idea.. You all do. This was just to show that FF7 has more to offer than just story. Yes, some of these things played a major part in the main stoyline also, the snowboarding for example, fort condor was a side quest, the submarine, and the bike chase were mandatory to progress. The snowboarding was a lot of fun though.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 17 February 2020

deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

"Is still impactful even today". Okay: how so? I'm genuinely curious.

* snips out the trash *

Are you serious?

I tried to be nice, I really did, but listen let me make you understand something, let me explain to you why your little excuse is trash and a desperate attempt to downplay one of ff7 main attributes.

I think FF7 is a special game for a lot of people and I didn't play RPGs in the early 90s. I didn't really play a lot of video games with story. I had a snes, I played mario, and duck hunt, but FF7 was the first game to introduce story for me, and I wasn't into board-games D&D as a kid. But for a lot of people and including myself ff7 was the gateway to videogames being a narrative to you and getting attached to characters instead of just playing a game for the sake of playing a game.. Like Mario or Zalda. It's like you know a character in a book or using a character in a fighting game, you get attached to that character and what makes that character appealing in some way is similar to the way people get attached to Star Wars, and Star Trek, and both of them spawn multiple series and major motion pictures. The same is true for FF7 because it does this to so many people including myself. This was the first time you lived a game with characters, this was the first time you experienced a journey with characters, and you didn't feel you were just watching a movie, you feel like you were a part of something, like you was there with them.

Your first experience with a game like that is going be impactful and luckily Final Fantasy 7 is still a good game. The characters and storytelling has so many crazy twists and turns and memorable moments throughout the whole game. Having such an impact is why people talk so highly about Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 because they were the big games on Super Nintendo and this is why people are so fond of FF6 and Chrono Trigger today because they were introduced to it at the time but FF7 was the game that took it from being this niche thing that was on a Super Nintendo to suddenly it being a worldwide phenomenon with PlayStation. That's why people like in that YouTube video acted in such joyful way. 

Now to address the facts, I mentioned that FF7 has multiple spin-offs, films, and anime. I wasn't comparing that to Zelda, I was just stating some irrefutable, undeniable facts. I said FF7 has the best story and music, that much is also indisputable, but you just had to take it to another level with your poor attempt to downplay. I'll be the bigger man here and I say I'm sorry. I didn't mean to state some hurtful facts. So since you have nothing else to say I guess that's that.

Fair. I agree that Story and Music is undisputably in FFs camp. That's fine those categories are actually vital in the success of a traditional JRPG which FFVII is. The films and spin offs are irrelevant, because we are comparing two stand alone games. 

I am with you, unlike you, I had played RPGs before FFVII, and I was still mindblown by the story. The game really set a standard at the time for it. FFVII to me is a 9.5/10 game, Ocarina is a 10/10. I actually reviewed the game in the Switch re release.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=222781&reviewid=1369

I clearly love the game, but Ocarina is just better in every other aspect.  It is unfair to also just out right dismiss the story and characters in Ocarina. The game is an action adventure more in line with action RPGs, they are not known for story telling in the way JRPGs were. Ocarina actually was pretty ground breaking at the time because of the use of in game engine cutscenes. The game told a wonderful story that did fell short of FFVII's sci-fi tale, and there is no shame in that.