By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180
Hynad said:
Peh said:

Just going to insult me instead of providing a counter argument....

The counter argument is the video. The loading is hardly an issue, and certainly not as long as you claim. In fact, it’s hardly longer than what was found in the SNES FF games. The black fade up to the moment you can issue commands is barely anything to write about. Certain games on the PS1 had loading issues. Sure. But the fact that Squaresoft managed to make their games with minimal loadings makes the cartridge vs CD loading argument silly in this comparison. 

Again , you are trying to make this look like a bigger deal than it was. Hence me calling your comments dishonest.

Your video is not a counter argument, since I use the transition scene for my point where I already told you how the loading is done. 

I can go the same path as you and say that MDK has no loading times, at all, because you run through a long tunnel between sections.

Or even argue that Resident Evil 1 has no loading times, because you look at a door opening animation.

Because you don't see a loading screen doesn't mean that games has no loading times. Every game has them! It depends on how you mask them. Stop making a fuss about this and move on. 

And stop calling me or my comments dishonest, since you have absolutely no clue about what masking loading times is all about.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
Hynad said:

The counter argument is the video. The loading is hardly an issue, and certainly not as long as you claim. In fact, it’s hardly longer than what was found in the SNES FF games. The black fade up to the moment you can issue commands is barely anything to write about. Certain games on the PS1 had loading issues. Sure. But the fact that Squaresoft managed to make their games with minimal loadings makes the cartridge vs CD loading argument silly in this comparison. 

Again , you are trying to make this look like a bigger deal than it was. Hence me calling your comments dishonest.

Your video is not a counter argument, since I use the transition scene for my point where I already told you how the loading is done. 

I can go the same path as you and say that MDK has no loading times, at all, because you run through a long tunnel between sections.

Or even argue that Resident Evil 1 has no loading times, because you look at a door opening animation.

Because you don't see a loading screen doesn't mean that games has no loading times. Every game has them! It depends on how you mask them. Stop making a fuss about this and move on. 

And stop calling me or my comments dishonest, since you have absolutely no clue about what masking loading times is all about.

You continue being dishonest. I never said there was no loading. I said there was barely any. From a player point of view, as I explained in later comments, they’re non-issues because they handled them in such a way that the game doesn’t feel much different from the earlier titles in the series.

Now, please continue trying to tell me what I know or not. I find it pathetic but amusing at the same time. 

Because, if you continue spinning it this way, then you will have to say that the N64 games had loading because, hey, that’s the nature of computer hardware. But that is clearly not what I was pointing out in my first comment.  

Last edited by Hynad - on 25 February 2020

Hynad said:
Peh said:

You continue being dishonest. I never said there was no loading. I said there was barely any. From a player point of view, as I explained in later comments, they’re non-issues because they handled them in such a way that the game doesn’t feel much different from the earlier titles in the series.

Now, please continue trying to tell me what I know or not. I find it pathetic but amusing at the same time. 

Because, if you continue spinning it this way, then you will have to say that the N64 games had loading because, hey, that’s the nature of computer hardware. But that is clearly not what I was pointing out in my first comment.  

You said: "I never said there was no loading".

True, that was me who said it, because you seem to not know what a loading section is and what not. And you even confirmed it by arguing against it. 

You said: "I said there was barely any"

And I said: "As long as you call the 6-7 seconds of a battle scene initiation barely  any loading time then I agree." And that's the point where it should've stopped. But you need to keep that fuss up...

I already wrote it out for you how the loading is being down. You can take your own video and count the seconds from the start of the screens distortion to the moment all character models are visible on screen. 

You said: "they’re non-issues because they handled them in such a way that the game doesn’t feel much different from the earlier titles in the series."

You are the only one here who makes it an issue. If you would've paid more attention to my posts instead of attacking it and insulting me, you would've have known that I said :

"The decision of going for a cartridge system was not based on one game." Which builds upon my previous post: "Yes, and the N64 would also have "long" loading times which is why they also opted for cartridges. Just keep that in mind, please."

You should have realized that I was spoken in general terms. I was not comparing FF7 to OoT. Instead you make a big fuss about a few seconds during the battle transition and throw insults towards me. 

Seriously, take your "dishonesty" and shove it up where the sun is not shining. 

Warned - cycycychris 

Last edited by cycycychris - on 26 February 2020

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Hynad said:

True, that was me who said it, because you seem to not know what a loading section is and what not. And you even confirmed it by arguing against it. 

And I said: "As long as you call the 6-7 seconds of a battle scene initiation barely  any loading time then I agree." And that's the point where it should've stopped. But you need to keep that fuss up...

I already wrote it out for you how the loading is being down. You can take your own video and count the seconds from the start of the screens distortion to the moment all character models are visible on screen. 

You said: "they’re non-issues because they handled them in such a way that the game doesn’t feel much different from the earlier titles in the series."

You are the only one here who makes it an issue. If you would've paid more attention to my posts instead of attacking it and insulting me, you would've have known that I said :

"The decision of going for a cartridge system was not based on one game." Which builds upon my previous post: "Yes, and the N64 would also have "long" loading times which is why they also opted for cartridges. Just keep that in mind, please."

You should have realized that I was spoken in general terms. I was not comparing FF7 to OoT. Instead you make a big fuss about a few seconds during the battle transition and throw insults towards me. 

I’ll shove it up in your head then.

Hynad said:
Peh said:

I’ll shove it up in your head then.

Woah, such hostility. 

I meant by "shoving it up where the sun is not shining" to put it into your drawer. But I see what kind of personality you got. Can't win an argument, so you went straight for insults without even approaching my arguments. Thank you for that. 

Around the Network

I haven't played FF7 in about 10 years, so I don't remember the load times specifically, but I don't recall thinking too negatively of them. For being on a disc-based console, FF7 is not the game to bring into discussion when criticizing load times. But given what Shiken has said, and his clear bias, I would imagine he inflated his numbers by 30% or so to suit his narrative. I think he measured several times, and used the worst-case scenario, and I think he started and stopped the timer at the wrong time.

RaptorChrist said:
I haven't played FF7 in about 10 years, so I don't remember the load times specifically, but I don't recall thinking too negatively of them. For being on a disc-based console, FF7 is not the game to bring into discussion when criticizing load times. But given what Shiken has said, and his clear bias, I would imagine he inflated his numbers by 30% or so to suit his narrative. I think he measured several times, and used the worst-case scenario, and I think he started and stopped the timer at the wrong time.

Do you know what bias means?

Cause I don't think you do.  🤣

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

RaptorChrist said:

There are a lot of things that didn't bother me in games when I first played them that bother me now.  Sometimes you don't realize that something is annoying until you see how it can be done better.  

I didn't mind FF7's load times or general pacing much at first.  But, after playing the Switch version with the speed up option, I don't think I could ever go back to the original.

JWeinCom said:
RaptorChrist said:

There are a lot of things that didn't bother me in games when I first played them that bother me now.  Sometimes you don't realize that something is annoying until you see how it can be done better.  

I didn't mind FF7's load times or general pacing much at first.  But, after playing the Switch version with the speed up option, I don't think I could ever go back to the original.

Yeah and load times got worse for FFVIII and FFIX. They would be unbearable without the speed up option.

Signature goes here!

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:
FF7 because I have no interest in Zelda.

That's not helpful. Ideally, you'd be able to compare the two based on various criteria. 

I, for example, love both franchises and there are entries in each series I dislike. FFVII is one of the FF games I love, whereas OOT is one of the entries in the Zelda series I personally find horribly overrated. 

I know it isn't Ideal. That is one reason I don't review or evaluate Zelda, because I know it is a great game that I wouldn't do justice when evaluating. Thus I prefer to honestly say I prefer one because I don't care much about the other, there may be one time when I'll try to play it though =p.

Perhaps during the transition to PS5 I'll have low backlog and may try zelda.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."