By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ocarina of Time vs Final Fantasy 7

I prefer...

Ocarina of Time 105 58.33%

Final Fantasy 7 75 41.67%

Total:180

I don't get the point of these comparisons. Just enjoy things on their own merit and beauty. Comparing, contrasting is just going to lead to negative feelings.

Let's be happy for once.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

Idk.  As I said before, I think due to the fact that they were still learning to use 3D space, I think that the boss fights in Ocarina were a little too simple.  Phantom Ganon and Twinrova are the only ones I think were really exceptional.  And as for Twilight Princess literally the only ones I really remember are the dragon you fight with Spider-man claw shots, and the final boss.  Obviously that's a subjective criteria, but I feel like if they were good they'd have been a bit more memorable.  That being said, Skyward Sword also had a boss rush mode, so maybe that's why I remember those battles a bit more.

Ocarina's were indeed simple, but I feel there was an elegance to their simplicity; in addition to those two I found Ghoma, King Dodongo, and Volvagia very memorable.

In Twilight Princess, the fire giant boss, the spider in the temple of time, and the skeleton dragon in Arbitar's Grounds also really stood out to me.

I think Ocarina of Time's bosses were all memorable, but that was mostly due to the fact that it was the first time we'd really experienced boss fights like that, assuming you played it when it came out.

The skeleton dragon fight with the spinner was awesome.  I only vaguely remember the others.  Maybe I just have to replay TP.  It's been a while.  

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

Ocarina's were indeed simple, but I feel there was an elegance to their simplicity; in addition to those two I found Ghoma, King Dodongo, and Volvagia very memorable.

In Twilight Princess, the fire giant boss, the spider in the temple of time, and the skeleton dragon in Arbitar's Grounds also really stood out to me.

I think Ocarina of Time's bosses were all memorable, but that was mostly due to the fact that it was the first time we'd really experienced boss fights like that, assuming you played it when it came out.

The skeleton dragon fight with the spinner was awesome.  I only vaguely remember the others.  Maybe I just have to replay TP.  It's been a while.  

Even removed from the novelty of the time I think Ocarina's bosses are just pretty awesome; a serpentine dragon with a flowing mane of fire, a creepy one-eyed parasitic arachnid, A huge volcanic dinosaur...

FF7, and what's funny is, N64 could've had both if Nintendo didn't stick to using outdated carts. 

Certain games are renown for their technical prowess at the time of their release. Some are known for their gameplay innovations and polish. That's why, even though their follow-ups are superior, the predecessor still gets all of the praise.

That's all I have to say. This post is open to interpretation.

Around the Network

I couldn't get ever get into Ocarina of time. I always thought the controls were super clunky and a bit boring to play.

Also like a lot of early 3D action games OOT too hasn't aged very well.

FF7, then.

KManX89 said:

FF7, and what's funny is, N64 could've had both if Nintendo didn't stick to using outdated carts. 

Yes, and the N64 would also have "long" loading times which is why they also opted for cartridges. Just keep that in mind, please.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Keiji said:
curl-6 said:

Unanimous no, but pretty conclusive; Ocarina gets the popular vote by a comfortable margin.

I have seen the future : every Nintendo players will buy a PS4 and play Final Fantasy VII Remake, they will have a revelation and scream : Best Game Ever !

I can't agree with that. Waiting for PC release.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
KManX89 said:

Yes, and the N64 would also have "long" loading times which is why they also opted for cartridges. Just keep that in mind, please.

The funniest thing is that FFVII barely has any loading on PS1.

I'm a bit late here but I'll cast my vote for Final Fantasy VII. It's kind of an easy vote for me since FFVII is my favorite Final Fantasy ever and one of my favorite games of all-time while Ocarina of Time is my 5th or 6th favorite Zelda game (still good but I love others more).

FFVII has this perfect balance of great characters, awesome gameplay mechanics (Materia system), iconic villain, quirky mini-games, gut wrenching plot twists, tons of end game content and I'll even say that it still looks good today, maybe not the map character models but in combat models look great.

Signature goes here!