By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony paid $229 million for Insomniac

VAMatt said:
BraLoD said:
If spider man sold 13M copies at a $40 average that alone made 500M.
Just a single game like that if Sony spends 100M to fund they already profit 400M.
Great deal.

Sony doesn't make anywhere near that much in that scenario.  There are a lot of other people that take a cut of that money.  See the link I posted in a comment about 10-15 comments back for a decent explanation of where the money goes from the sale of a game.  

It says the publisher gets between $8 to $25 for each copy sold at retail. As for digital id think sony gets almost 100% for the games they published. Im sure it doesnt cost much to put their games on their own store the psn

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
An obscene amount of money for a studio that has not made an original system-seller-kind-of-IP since forever. Spider-man isn't theirs, once Marvel chooses to give it to another developer, you'll be left with forgotten IPs.

Except... Spiderman is a Sony property lol. If you aren't knowledgable, why post? 

Considering how much money Sony and Xbox earn via Subs, i am suprised they havnt brought the whole industry out.

The price for Insomniac is dirt cheap however curious to know why the price was that low when compared to Mojang whose value was $3b for basically 1 IP while Insomniac would have afew IPs and a incredibly successful Spider Man game.

That seems like a lot to me given they didn't get any notable IPs.

It clearly a talented studio, maybe they have other projects we don't know about.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

What a bargain. Should have been double that.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
That seems like a lot to me given they didn't get any notable IPs.

It clearly a talented studio, maybe they have other projects we don't know about.

Sunset Overdrive is semi notable, though not worth that much of course. They are a pretty big studio usually developing 3+ games at a time. In the last few years their output on Sony only devices has slowed down alot as they became more multiplatform. Now having full control of the studio they can block their games going to the competition whilst increasing the Playstation brand. 

think-man said:
What a bargain. Should have been double that.

Make me wonder how much the price of Blue point, Remedy and House Marque. I bet even Ninja Theory  are the same or even less than that. 

Hiku said:
Jpcc86 said:

Mostly in cash?

I'm guessing it doesn't mean in paper bills, but rather mostly money instead of stock and bonds, etc. 

Then again, maybe Sony rolled up with some trucks full of cash.

Thumbs up for the Yakuza gif.

@OP, Insomniac basically paid for themselves with the profit they gave Sony with SpiderMan, still was great deal for the owners, hope some bonus goes to the employees as well. And now that they have the tools, people and Sony financing I expect the level of game they do will be on SM level and the next R&C will be great (I do like the IP).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Dulfite said:
When adjusting for inflation, Microsoft bought Mojang for 11 times this amount.

I rather buy 10 insomniac like studios than a single mohjang.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Azzanation said:
Considering how much money Sony and Xbox earn via Subs, i am suprised they havnt brought the whole industry out.

The price for Insomniac is dirt cheap however curious to know why the price was that low when compared to Mojang whose value was $3b for basically 1 IP while Insomniac would have afew IPs and a incredibly successful Spider Man game.

Well I would say Sony spent their money more wisely.

MS probably spent less than 2.5B on the purchase of all their recent studios recently.